Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:58 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,633,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The Pope has millions of children but they aren't his biological children and he isn't married. He has enough responsibility to father his Church than to give to a bio family.
What's one more for a Pope? He has plenty of help. Seems a bit selfish. He could adopt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,340,364 times
the pope (or you and me in the normal---non sudden emergency---course of events) doesn't individually have to physically care for a particular child, OTOH, he (and everybody else) is obligated to help make those things happen in some way---through prayer, time, treasure, and yes in his case guiding and directing the organization and the individuals who make it up to achieve those goals so that "no child (or anybody else of any age) is left behind" physically and spiritually. FWIW, the church now and for centuries has operated orphanages and shelters for children without families that need a safe home ("boys town" is a famous example in this country).

Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,560,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
What's one more for a Pope? He has plenty of help. Seems a bit selfish. He could adopt.
He has, they are all the orphanages that are run by the religious. It all needs to be tended to and he has the daunting job to keep on top of it all.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,307,035 times
I always thought they were making a choice and exercising free-will?

On the other side, does this mean the Pope supports adoption of children by gay couples?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I always thought they were making a choice and exercising free-will?

On the other side, does this mean the Pope supports adoption of children by gay couples?
No he doesn't since it is a known fact a child does better in a home where there is a mother and a father. Plus gay marriage isn't recognized by the church and won't be. Many religious adoption agencies have had to shut down because the government won't let them operate if they don't let gays adopt. Just another example of gays taking over in our society with the PC movement.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,307,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No he doesn't since it is a known fact a child does better in a home where there is a mother and a father. Plus gay marriage isn't recognized by the church and won't be. Many religious adoption agencies have had to shut down because the government won't let them operate if they don't let gays adopt. Just another example of gays taking over in our society with the PC movement.
Chapter and verse? It is recognized by many churches, it is the government that is preventing gay marriage.

Gays taking over??? L O L...

And Jesus said that gays ----- he said NOTHING...

Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Chapter and verse? It is recognized by many churches, it is the government that is preventing gay marriage.

But He did say plenty about marriage and it was between one man and one women for a lifetime commitment. It also includes children.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Jesus saying "NOTHING" about a certain thing (technically called "the argument from silence") can be a tricky thing---as far as I know, He also said nothing at all about slavery or global warming, or equal opportunity employment, or a whole bunch of potentially interesting things) pro or con that is explicitly or otherwise recorded in scripture.

for that matter He made no explicit comment or command at all about writing any kind of BOOK (what we now call "the new testament) to his disciples (as well as no mention in the Gospels at all of Him writing anything at all Himself)----except something on the sand which while it may have been profound and edifying was NOT recorded when the woman taken in adultery was brought before him.

In fact, there is to the best of my poor knowledge nothing said at all in the Gospels or the Epistles about a "bible only" Christianity (the "search the scriptures" statement" Jesus made (and the "all scripture is good for..." by Paul for that matter) without a reasonable doubt at the time referred to the law and the prophets of the "old testament"). surprisingly or not the Bible does not mention it's own contents and there is no "approved" list of which books are "in" the Bible---in the Bible!!!

OTOH, the extant writings of scripture DO apparently say He "would build MY (His) church" and that the "gates of hell would not prevail against it" and certain of whose members (by the power of the Holy Spirit) would have the power to forgive AND "retain" sins (John 20:23), and that believers should accept the judgment of that church on disputes among themselves or be excluded from it's fellowship (Matt. 18:17)---go figure. OTOH, it's not completely unreasonable to at least make a case for the Church which Jesus founded being given guidance by the Holy Spirit to assemble, authenticate, protect, and proclaim all those various writings as the inspired word of God contained within the "Bible" generally and the New Testament especially concerning the teachings of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-18-2015 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: more info.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:32 PM

874 posts, read 638,681 times
[quote=georgeinbandonoregon;38484364]

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
don't know about Wheaties (actually had an energy shake, LOL) but your earlier comments seemed worth responding to---so at least the other side can be heard no matter how foolish it might appear...
An energy drink is good. It is the new-age Wheaties!

Please don't consider your ideas to be foolish. You have the right to believe whatever you think is right. I don't think whatever our respective views are about the church that it interferes with our respective salvations.

Quote:
the "strange commandments" (be perfect as..., take up the cross.., etc., etc.") are all in the new testament and are all in fact supposed to be sayings of Jesus (not of one of his disciples) so if you read the bible you are at least as well aware of them and the potential implications of their meanings as your humble correspondent is. again, the church uses sayings from the bible like that to support it's particular claims and if you reject those claims and the interpretations of the words those claims are based on, think you really do have in some manner, shape, or form have problems with the bible---at least as the church seems to have used it for an awful long time. you are surely free to do so but it would be nice at least for the purposes of this discussion to take a look at those references (easily found by a google web search without a lot of actual page turning) and show me that the words can reasonably mean significantly different than they appear to.
Sorry. You quoted one of the 10 commandants and then you added other things that were not the 10 commandants. That is why I said they were strange commandants. I never considered Jesus' teachings to be "commandants" in the respect of do this or else. Jesus didn't "command" anybody to do anything. Jesus was a teacher. He was a guide and a leader. He told us what God wanted, but I don't think he "commanded" anything in the respect of the 10 commandments.

I am unfamiliar with Jesus saying "take up the cross". I am also unfamiliar with him saying "be as perfect as.." who? God or Jesus?

Quote:
FWIW, once you get down to it. there are a whole lot of "hard sayings" attributed to Jesus--things that are really challenging for believers to even try to do--especially when there are potentially a whole lot of more fun or fulfilling things we think we might do. if they were indeed easy we would have never needed someone like Jesus telling us all these weird and often counterintuitive things like "blessed are the poor in spirit" or "what does it profit (someone) to gain the whole world---but loose their immortal soul" or right back to "be perfect as your...(you know the rest).
I don't really understand your point here. I don't know exactly what "hard sayings" are. I don't know why "blessed are the poor in spirit..." or "what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but loose his immortal soul" would be considered "commandments" or even would be "hard sayings".

Quote:
thanks for your time

God bless you and me and everyone who struggles to search for the truth.
Amen.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:45 PM

hope this helps:
"..anyone who would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me..." Matt. 11:29 and Luke 9:23
"be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect" Matt. 5:48

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-18-2015 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: more infol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity