Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Good point! ... It is also worth mentioning that there was about 1000 years between the previous oldest known Masoretic texts and the Dead Sea Scrolls -- There is an enormous amount of evidence totally dispelling false claims that the scriptures have been edited/changed.
You might wish to study the Dead Sea scrolls so you are more informed about SIGNIFICANT differences found. I'll provide a link to one to help you out after a quote:

Quote:
With the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, believers in the inerrancy doctrine thought they had found cause to rejoice. In Cave One at Qumran was found a manuscript of the book of Isaiah containing all 66 chapters except for only a few words that were missing where edges of the scroll had crumbled. Although many spelling variations were found in the text, the content of the Qumran scroll was found to be remarkably parallel to the Masoretic text of 895 A. D. Translators of the Revised Standard Version in 1952 found only 13 textual differences in the manuscript that they considered important enough to affect their translation of Isaiah. When scholars dated the manuscript at circa 100 B.C., Bible fundamentalists believed they had found in the Qumran text of Isaiah indisputable proof that through the long, silent centuries Jewish scribes had been scrupulously faithful in transmitting their sacred books. After all, if a thousand years had brought no significant changes to the text of Isaiah, couldn't we believe that the same was true of the other Old Testament books?

This would make an impressive argument were it not for subsequent discoveries that were made at Qumran, which Bible inerrantists have been very reluctant to talk about. In commenting on these other discoveries, Joseph A. Fitzmyer, professor emeritus of New Testament at The Catholic University of America, dashed cold water onto the hopes of those who had hastily concluded too much from the Qumran text of Isaiah:

In Cave 4, 157 fragmentary biblical texts were retrieved, among which is every book of the Hebrew canon, save Esther (and Nehemiah, which at that time was considered as one book with Ezra). Eventually, these Cave 4 fragments revealed a different story about the copying and transmission of Old Testament writings. In some cases, especially 1-2 Samuel, Jeremiah, and Exodus, the fragments brought to light forms or recensions of biblical books that differed from the medieval Masoretic tradition. For instance, one text turned out to be a shorter Hebrew form of Jeremiah, previously known only in its Greek version in the Septuagint. It now seems that the fuller form of Masoretic tradition represents a Palestinian rewording of the book. Another from Cave 4, written in paleo-Hebrew script and dated from the early second century B.C., contains the repetitious expanded form of Exodus previously known only in Samaritan writings, ("The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible: After Forty Years," America, October 31, 1987, p. 302, emphasis added).

This "different story" told by the discoveries in Cave Four at Qumran is a story that Bible inerrantists have been conspicuously silent about, probably because it puts to rest all notions of scrupulously meticulous ancient scribes who counted all the letters in the copies they made to be sure that no mistakes had occurred. The Cave Four discoveries tell us that mistakes were not only made but that textual changes were also made with probable deliberation.
The Septuagint and the Protestant Bible's Jeremiah problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People keep saying the Bible has been edited beyond recognition, and therefore cannot be trusted. However, when they discovered the ancient dead sea scrolls they found that the ancient text was practically identical to the newer versions. The message had not changed at all.
That was only with the book of Isaiah. Quite a few of the others were changed significantly--particularly Jeremiah.

Just the facts, sir. The truth, and the WHOLE truth.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM

Example of the significant redaction of Jeremiah from the oldest text to what we have in the English Bible.

Quote:
Because of the damage these facts inflict on the inerrancy doctrine, Bible fundamentalists will, of course, resist the obvious conclusion that they lead to, but until the inerrantists can produce a Masoretic copy of Jeremiah that antedates the Septuagint, they will find it hard to defend their claim that the Bible text we now have is essentially the same as what was written in the "original autographs."

The sections missing from the Septuagint and Qumran versions of Jeremiah clearly testify to what Fitzmyer called "a Palestinian reworking of the book." Let's consider, for example, the following omission:

Behold, the days come, saith Yahweh, that I will perform that good word which I have spoken concerning the house of Israel and concerning the house of Judah. In those days, and at that time, will I cause a Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely; and this is the name whereby she shall be called: Yahweh our righteousness. For thus saith Yahweh: David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel; neither shall the priests the Levites want a man before me to offer burnt offerings, and to burn meal-offerings, and to do sacrifice continually. And the word of Yahweh came unto Jeremiah, saying, Thus saith yahweh: If ye can break my covenant of the day, and my covenant of the night, so that there shall not be day and night in their season; then may also my covenant be broken with David my servant, that he shall not have a son to reign upon his throne; and with the Levites the priests, my ministers. As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured; so will I multiply the seed of David my servant, and the Levites that minister unto me.

And the word of Yahweh came to Jeremiah, saying, Considerest thou not what this people have spoken, saying, The two families which Yahweh did choose, he hath cast them off? thus do they despise my people, that they should be no more a nation before them. Thus saith Yahweh: If my covenant of day and night stand not, if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth; then will I also cast away the seed of Jacob, and of David my servant, so that I will not take of his seed to be rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and will have mercy on them, (33:14-26, ASV with Yahweh substituted for Jehovah).
---------------------

Obviously intended as a repetition of Yahweh's promise to establish an eternal, perpetual throne of David over the house of Israel, which promise was first proclaimed in II Samuel 7:12-17, this passage, and ones like it, have proved embarrassing to God's people ever since the vagaries of history reduced the Yahwistic promises of an everlasting Israelite kingdom to mere ethnocentric wishes that didn't materialize. To protect the inerrancy doctrine, Bible fundamentalists have been forced to read figurative meaning into these statements, so rather than a literal promise to establish David's throne forever, they see this passage, and others like it, as a Messianic prophecy that was fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Either way, the passage concerns a central biblical theme and must therefore be considered important, yet it was in neither the Septuagint version nor the Jeremiah scroll found at Qumran. These omissions have grave implications for the inerrancy doctrine, because they suggest that significant editing occurred in at least one Old Testament book after completion of the original manuscript.
The Septuagint and the Protestant Bible's Jeremiah problem

From a different source:
Quote:
Jeremiah is one seventh shorter in the LXX than in the MT. This is the most dramatic difference between the LXX and MT. The LXX of Jeremiah probably reflects an earlier edition of the Book of Jeremiah. Not only is the LXX shorter, but the arrangement of verses is different.

The Dead Sea Scrolls 4QJerb,d are very similar to the LXX with the shorter text, and the different arrangement of verses.
In chapters 27-29 of the MT of Jeremiah the king of Babylon is spelled Nebuchadnezzar while in the rest of the book it is in its original form Nebuchadrezzar. The LXX only has Nebuchadrezzar.
It should be noted that pseudopigraphal writings, and revisions were a common practice in ancient times. Their view of inspiration was also very different.

The MT editor added headings to prophecies, repeated sections, added new verses and sections, new details, new arrangements, and clarification of unclear passages. This most likely done after the exile.

In the LXX Jeremiah chapters 46-51 of the MT follow 25:13 of the LXX. These oracles against the nations are also put in a different order.
http://www.bibleandscience.com/bible...seascrolls.htm

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-13-2015 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Ezekiel

How about Ezekiel? How does the MT hold up?

Quote:
There are many differences between the LXX and MT of Ezekiel. The LXX of Ezekiel is about 4-5% shorter than the MT. One example is Ezekiel 7:3-9. The LXX of Ezekiel seems to reflect a shorter Hebrew text. The MT being a later expanded edition. The MT adds parallel words and phrases, exegetical phrases, harmonization, and new material.

Ezekiel 36 is longer in the MT. P. Chester Beatty 967 of the LXX lacks verses 23-38. This implies that the Old Greek reflects an early stage of development of the Book of Ezekiel.
Websites about the Dead Sea Scrolls:
  • West Semitic Research Project
  • Dead Sea Scroll Project
  • Orion Center (Hebrew University)
IBSS - The Bible - Old Testament: Dead Sea Scrolls

Old 03-13-2015, 04:11 PM

Default How about Joshua?

Quote:
A. Rofe research suggested that the addition after Joshua 24:33 reflects an earlier and more original development were Joshua and Judges were combined together. The end of Joshua is followed by Judges 3 with the first two chapters of Judges added later. Rofe also saw the cities of refuge in Joshua 20:4-6 as later additions which are not found in the LXX. The MT later adds the quote form Deuteronomy. Joshua in the LXX is 4-5% shorter than the MT of Joshua (Joshua 6, 12, 20). These minuses should be seen as additions by the MT. The 4QJosha also differs from the MT.

There is also a major change in the sequence of events in the LXX of Joshua. The building of the altar at Shechem in Joshua 8:30-35 (MT) is moved to chapter 9:3 in the LXX.

There are some additions in the LXX that reflect Hebraistic diction that can be easily retroverted back into Hebrew.

Tov concludes "the MT and LXX do not reflect textual differences, but rather two different editions of the book....the edition of the MT expanded the shorter one reflected in the LXX (The Greek and Hebrew Bible, 1999, p. 395).
IBSS - The Bible - Old Testament: Dead Sea Scrolls

So one can see that from LXX to MT there were significant changes, usually additions by later scribes and copyists.

This is not a problem for one who understands scripture as a witness to the faith of a people about their interaction with God. However, this challenges EVERYTHING fundamentalists have been taught to think about the Bible--because, by their own admission, if one book crumbles so does the whole cult.

Therefore here is my prophesy. Many fundamentalists will begin looking for "explanations" that can leave their idol, the Bible, on the throne of their lives. But unless the can produce MT texts predating LXX, they must continue to lie to themselves as well as to others.

The OT book we read in English IS DIFFERENT FROM THE EARLIEST VERSIONS. I don't care if one thinks that none of those differences affect "doctrine." They are different and therefore the level of holiness and spiritual elevation given to the "book" is simply not justified.

One must remove the book from the throne in his heart and put Jesus there instead. Then the differences mean nothing at all. And one can get about DOING the work of Jesus rather than "defending" the Bible.

If need be, I can certainly provide plenty of facts about numerous other OT books--but even one is enough to upset the apple cart.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Good point! ... It is also worth mentioning that there was about 1000 years between the previous oldest known Masoretic texts and the Dead Sea Scrolls -- There is an enormous amount of evidence totally dispelling false claims that the scriptures have been edited/changed.
God preserved His message.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I think maybe He did. It just isn't the one you read daily.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times
Quote:
In the quotes from each Jeremiah, I see no difference in the message. Was one an alteration, yep, but the message is the same.

It isn't line for line perfection that is the issue, it is the consistency of the message.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasroane View Post
I find it quite amusing that atheists and LaodecianChristians think they've stumbled on to a new trick when they seek to discredit God's Word - the Bible.
If you stick to the bible being a central guide marker or to standardize the teachings so that peoples from different langue's and culture can point to a book and understand each other then the bible is just fine. If you push the bible of as an aid to help us to understand how important it is to help each other instead of competing against each other or coveting our neighbors stuff, the bible is great. If you push the bible off to help me be vigilant over "me" and to show how selfishly I can act, I love the bible.

If you teach people to ignore reason, common sense, and observations that your god is showing you, and refer to the bible as the last say then the bible is meaningless. It's the apple being offered again and again. I mean I'll eat the apple, its good stuff. But let's use it for what it was made for. You might even say what your god made it for ... The first paragraph. The Trinity is many things. Heart, brain, and spirit is an acceptable/rational way to think about ourselves. The bible can help align them.

Only humans literally teaching the bible discredit the bible. Like a "poof there it is" creation.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:36 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In the quotes from each Jeremiah, I see no difference in the message. Was one an alteration, yep, but the message is the same.

It isn't line for line perfection that is the issue, it is the consistency of the message.
Some differences in words and grammar may differ as languages evolve, but the message is the same and that is all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity