Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Vizio:

It is like the difference between people of different cultures. What makes sense to you is strange to them and vice versa.

BTW, I know Sola Scriptura ministers improvise the prayers, but at some time some catchy phrases and words are used again. It would be impossible to say a new prayer each time that does not contain favorite phrases used in the past.
I actually say the same prayer every week before we take a collection. I pray that as we continue our worship by our tithes and offerings, that he would use our offering to further his kingdom in our town, the community, and worldwide. It's intentional because I want the congregation to understand that giving of our money to God is worship -- and that it is how the lost will be reached.

Is that wrong? Only if I think that it's a magical chant that contains power in the words.
Quote:
The Catholic Church is big on previously written and composed prayers.

The Prayer of Saint Francis, also known as Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace is a Christian prayer. Attributed to the thirteenth-century saint Francis of Assisi, the prayer in its present form cannot be traced back further than 1912, when it was printed in Paris in French, in a small spiritual magazine called La Clochette (The Little Bell), published by La Ligue de la Sainte-Messe (The Holy Mass League). The author's name was not given, although it may have been the founder of La Ligue, Fr. Esther Bouquerel.[citation needed]

Summarizing the Christian Renoux book on the prayer, an article by Egidio Picucci on the 19–20 January 2009 issue of L'Osservatore Romano says that the earliest record of the prayer is its appearance, as "a beautiful prayer to say during Mass" in the December 1912 number of the small devotional French publication La Clochette, "the bulletin of the League of the Holy Mass". In 1915, Marquis Stanislas de La Rochethulon, president of the Anglo-French association Souvenir Normand, which called itself "a work of peace and justice inspired by the testament of William the Conqueror, who is considered to be the ancestor of all the royal families of Europe", sent this prayer to Pope Benedict XV.

The Pope had an Italian translation published on the front page of L'Osservatore Romano of 20 January 1916. It appeared under the heading, "The prayer of Souvenir Normand for peace", and with the explanation: "Souvenir Normand has sent the Holy Father the text of some prayers for peace. We have pleasure in presenting in particular the prayer addressed to the Sacred Heart, inspired by the testament of William the Conqueror". On 28 January 1916, the French newspaper La Croix reprinted, in French, the Osservatore Romano article, with exactly the same heading and explanation. La Rochethulon wrote to the newspaper to clarify that it was not a prayer of Souvenir Normand, but he chose not to mention La Clochette, the first publication in which it had appeared. Because of its appearance on L'Osservatore Romano and La Croix as a prayer for peace during the First World War, this prayer then became widely known.[2]

WIKI
As I said -- if you can pray those prayers and they are the desires in your heart, and it's you praying it....great. If instead you think that by simply reciting them you are manipulating God, as a sorcerer might manipulate the world around him by simply chanting a magical set of words....that is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,334,586 times
Vizio. think no serious Catholic really think that the words of this or any other prayer are magic in any way---their usefulness is ONLY thru sincerity of heart and holiness of purpose.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:02 PM

299 posts, read 264,099 times
Quote:
Vain Repetition
I guess you stay away from psalm 23, the most often used psalm in Christianity.
Don't bang too hard, Julian, you might hurt yourself!
Psalm 23 is not read repetitively. Not a good comparison.
And by the way, reading a Bible verse or psalm or set of verses as an expression of your heart is not "praying in repetition" -- it is what becomes mindless mantras that we -- and the Lord Jesus -- warn against.
BTW, Psalm 23 is an excellent study of the Lord Jesus Christ: Isa 40:11, John 10, Hebrews 13:20-21, etc.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I actually say the same prayer every week before we take a collection. I pray that as we continue our worship by our tithes and offerings, that he would use our offering to further his kingdom in our town, the community, and worldwide. It's intentional because I want the congregation to understand that giving of our money to God is worship -- and that it is how the lost will be reached.
I would say 99% of ministers say that because the church needs cash.

Quote:
Is that wrong? Only if I think that it's a magical chant that contains power in the words.

As I said -- if you can pray those prayers and they are the desires in your heart, and it's you praying it....great. If instead you think that by simply reciting them you are manipulating God, as a sorcerer might manipulate the world around him by simply chanting a magical set of words....that is wrong.
OK, I agree

Why do Christians need to pray? Do you know?

Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
Don't bang too hard, Julian, you might hurt yourself!
Psalm 23 is not read repetitively. Not a good comparison.
And by the way, reading a Bible verse or psalm or set of verses as an expression of your heart is not "praying in repetition" -- it is what becomes mindless mantras that we -- and the Lord Jesus -- warn against.
BTW, Psalm 23 is an excellent study of the Lord Jesus Christ: Isa 40:11, John 10, Hebrews 13:20-21, etc.
What may sound like a vain repetition to you may be useful for someone else to get close to God. I think it is simply a different style, nothing more.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
Quote:
I would say 99% of ministers say that because the church needs cash.
Honestly...not my church. A good portion of my salary is paid for not by the church, but by a missionary agency. If the church paid nothing of my salary there would still be a church here. I have never stood and begged for money in my church. I did preach on giving 2 weeks ago--because that's what 1 Cor 16:1-4 was about. This past weekend I moved on to 1 Cor 16:5-24 and I did not preach on giving.

Quote:

OK, I agree

Why do Christians need to pray? Do you know?
God commands it. Why? Because ultimately it glorifies him. It's worship. When we pray to him we give him worship. We also draw closer to him--and it builds the relationship.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:

Is that wrong?
Yes it is wrong. It is taking money under false pretenses because God is not there to receive it.
Quote:
Only if I think that it's a magical chant that contains power in the words.
I almost fell on the floor from this pot/kettle nonsense about magical thinking from one of the main proponents of magical thinking!

Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Honestly...not my church. A good portion of my salary is paid for not by the church, but by a missionary agency. If the church paid nothing of my salary there would still be a church here. I have never stood and begged for money in my church. I did preach on giving 2 weeks ago--because that's what 1 Cor 16:1-4 was about. This past weekend I moved on to 1 Cor 16:5-24 and I did not preach on giving.
In my parish the Monsignor asks for money once a year because he is commanded to do so by the Archdiocese. We are told that as Christians we should help the less advantaged folks. It is done because it is simply a good thing to help others.

Quote:
God commands it. Why? Because ultimately it glorifies him. It's worship
Do you think God needs someone to worship and glorify him?

Quote:
When we pray to him we give him worship. We also draw closer to him--and it builds the relationship.
I think that prayer is 100% for the person doing the prayer. The worship is 100% for the worshipers.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
God commands it. Why? Because ultimately it glorifies him. It's worship. When we pray to him we give him worship. We also draw closer to him--and it builds the relationship.
We can add NOTHING to God, Vizio . . . let alone glory. Worship is NOT for God.
Quote:
Do you think God needs someone to worship and glorify him?
I think that prayer is 100% for the person doing the prayer. The worship is 100% for the worshipers.
Amen, Julian!!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,813,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
Vizio. think no serious Catholic really think that the words of this or any other prayer are magic in any way---their usefulness is ONLY thru sincerity of heart and holiness of purpose.
Unfortunately there are people from all walks of life that believe that God is a magic. Pay attention to the stores book shelf on occasion. People are scamming all the time. Its the law of attraction. The secret. Boy even Karma was devised and grafted into a Religion.
It takes a serious labor to get past all the confusion in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity