Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,732,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How do you witness to someone about Christ where the book that sources Him is inconsistent and has errors? How does that source have any credibility?
It has the same credibility of ANYONE's testimony about God. That's what the writers were doing--giving their testimony about how they believed God interacted with the community of faith. Sometimes they got it wrong--just like some otherwise good people get it wrong today. They testify of a a loving and powerful Savior, yet practice a demeaning and demoralizing tyranny over the lives of others.

Quote:
"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."
John 6:44

That verse doesn't say one must have the Bible to draw men to God. But it does say that no one comes to Jesus unless the Father who sent Him draws that person to Him.

My faith is greater than all the mistakes made by ancient writers.

Is yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,278,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can't get around God. What they did was wrong. It is apparently you don't read posts before replying to them, because I have told you several times already.

We have not discussed the origins of the Bible, so how could you possibly know if I am familiar with it or not?

It seems you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

Have a nice day.
The issue you have is believing in a man created God.

There was no God for them to get around. If your supposed God is so powerful then why would he have even allowed this to happen? I can guarantee I know the brainwashing regurgitation that you will respond with but it is just not rational if you stop for one second to think about it.

Fundys are clueless about the history of their own religion.

No one is arguing here...this is just a discussion.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-22-2015 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I agree that a man created religion is trouble. But that's not true Christianity.

Technology is great, but people are people. And people have the same problems.

Humans are not inherently good. The less a baby/child gets constructive interaction from its parents, the worse it off it is when it grows to adulthood. It's not brainwashing. Go to an area where there is not a lot of parental involvement (southeast DC in particular for me). I've lived there. It's not pretty.
I disagree. I probably came from worse than what you witnessed in DC. It did not corrupt me and in fact catapulted my spiritual advancement in this life.

Most of us are born good and not corrupted...it's the world and the people who raise us that can damage a child so much that they lose touch with their good inner core. Most humans have no understanding on how to overcome this first education and it leads them down dark paths. However, many of us find a way to overcome it, and it's those who go on to make this world a better place.

Indoctrination leads to really messed up humans...many are damaged for life. You can find it all throughout these threads.

Then you have those who were born good, did not come from a hard upbringing, but decide to go down the dark path.

It all depends on the individuals perception of themselves and the world in which they live. Their self-esteem and what they have been exposed to that can separate them from their good core.

There is no black and white pattern that everyone fits. Humans are very complex and one size fits all is nonsense...which is what Religion teaches.

Quote:
Crusades... yeah that's a bit dated... and it started out against Islam regarding Jerusalem. Some more recent examples will be helpful. Just know that whatever you bring to the surface will not be supported if it involves the spread of Christianity by force. That's not how Christianity advances.
Sure it's dated but that was not the point. Actually your bible and religion are even more dated.

How far back in history do you want me to go? In current times there was the abortion clinic bomber, and as you should know by living in Texas that they are rewriting school textbooks with lies, they have invented and promoted the big fat lying myth called Creationism, their oppression towards gays, fear and ignorant hatred of science for exposing their myths, they are trying to demonize birth control and women's rights to abortion. I can list more if you need.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-22-2015 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I disagree. I probably came from worse than what you witnessed in DC. It did not corrupt me and in fact catapulted my spiritual journey in this life.

Most of us are born good and not corrupted...it's the world and the people who raise us that can damage a child so much that they lose touch with their good inner core. Most humans have no understanding on how to overcome this first education and it leads them down dark paths. However, many of us find a way to overcome it, and it's those who go on to make this world a better place.

Indoctrination leads to really messed up humans...many are damaged for life. You can find it all throughout these threads.

Sure it's dated but that was not the point. Actually your bible and religion are even more dated.

How far back in history do you want me to go? In current times there was the abortion clinic bomber, and as you should know by living in Texas how they are rewriting school textbooks, the invention and promotion of the big fat lying myth called Creationism, their oppression towards gays, fear and ignorant hatred of science exposing the myths that have created. I can list more if you need.
I agree that man has made this God into their own image.
However, do not confuse creationism with that of intelligent design.

Which does not negate a form of evolution; growth and development.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I agree that man has made this God into their own image.
However, do not confuse creationism with that of intelligent design.

Which does not negate a form of evolution; growth and development.
How is ID different from Creationism other than not negating Evolution?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
How is ID different from Creationism?
The version espoused by the Discovery Institute was affiliated with Creationism and debunked in the courts as an attempt to insert religion into science curricula. Without speaking for him, I suspect the version Jerwade espouses is NOT. It is simply a common sense acknowledgment that Chaos does not rule; random chance merely reflects our causal ignorance and is NOT a real feature of reality; that evolution and growth are the processes and essence of life; and that the reason our reality is intelligible is because there is a consistent and discernible conformity and intelligence to its processes and composition.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The version espoused by the Discovery Institute was affiliated with Creationism and debunked in the courts as an attempt to insert religion into science curricula. Without speaking for him, I suspect the version Jerwade espouses is NOT. It is simply a common sense acknowledgment that Chaos does not rule; random chance merely reflects our causal ignorance and is NOT a real feature of reality; that evolution and growth are the processes and essence of life; and that the reason our reality is intelligible is because there is a consistent and discernible conformity and intelligence to its processes and composition.
Thanks for that but randomness is a continuous process at work in our world and in evolution. Evolution does not tout that all of evolution is a random process.

I was reading this today and it shows clear confusion among college students due to their religious beliefs in understanding what randomness really means.

Understanding Randomness and its Impact on Student Learning: Lessons Learned from Building the Biology Concept Inventory (BCI)

Old 07-22-2015, 10:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
How is ID different from Creationism other than not negating Evolution?
Nature suggests that it was intelligently designed - to evolve.
The creation myth is that it was concocted in six days.

When does an apple become an orange? It doesn't.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Nature suggests that it was intelligently designed - to evolve.
The creation myth is that it was concocted in six days.

When does an apple become an orange? It doesn't.

ID is just a misconception of Evolution.

How is it an intelligent design for a child to be born with a cleft lip, or Spina bifida, or joined at the ribs?

How is it an intelligent design for viruses to create themselves from DNA?

None of this is a mystery and we know the answers to all of this.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Thanks for that but randomness is a continuous process at work in our world and in evolution. Evolution does not tout that all of evolution is a random process.
I was reading this today and it shows clear confusion among college students due to their religious beliefs in understanding what randomness really means.
Understanding Randomness and its Impact on Student Learning: Lessons Learned from Building the Biology Concept Inventory (BCI)
No matter what you seem to think about randomness . . . it reflects only our causal ignorance, period. That is why we resort to probabilities. You cannot tout our causal ignorance as a fundamental feature of reality. It resides in us and our knowledge, period . . . NOT in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity