Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 02:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Is your "good news" that if one is made by God in a certain way, that god will kill him/her?
I have no idea what that means. I'm assuming it is likely a caricature of an actual argument/statement you've heard a Christian make. Could you please explain this?

Quote:
No, God does NOT want you to stay in your sin, but despite how many messengers He sends, including His own Son, you have killed all of us and ignored His Son!

Incidentally, recount how you "worked" your way out of sin, and how leaving 'sin' is a pathway to God's good side. Are you now sinless in that you never, ever under any circumstances commit sin? Not in your mind as Jesus warned all you Pharisees about (He who has looked on a woman with lust has committed adultery with her already or it's not enough for one to say they haven't committed murder of those they hate---they have to love whom they hate)?

You have no good news, just dire warnings about sins you commit which you think you don't. Paul was writing to you in Romans 2:1--
I really didn't suggest that. Nowhere have I made the argument that we "get on God's good side" by cleaning up our behavior.

Quote:

You do the same things, hypocrite. There is no star shining over your head---and however far away from God you think some gay person is----you remain a hundred yards further away.

Me? I'm no better than any of them and counting on grace as much as any homosexual Christian. Besides, our transgender lady, Geekigurl, has us both outgunned when it comes to Scriptural evidence, and more importantly with a Christian heart.
I have NEVER suggested that I am without sin. Honestly...please just get that through your head. NOWHERE have I ever suggested that.

But just like it would be unloving for me to simply suggest that an adulterer, or a drunkard, or a pedophile, or anyone else is simply ok in their sin....it is unkind and unloving to suggest that God somehow looks on their sin and smiles -- whatever their sexual deviancy is.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And you don't consider forcing Christian business owners to engage in business transactions that involve their immoral lifestyle an example of forcing their lifestyle on us? How about trying to watch tv and every freaking show has to have a gay character? Or attempting to force pastors to conduct gay weddings, or Christian colleges forced to accept homosexuality or lose funding, or Christian ministries forced to hire gay people?

And there are quite a number of gay festivals, flaunting their sexuality and even having sex openly in public streets. Folsom Street fair is one. If straight people did that, we would be arrested for public indeceny.

You sound bitter and jealous, as always, jeff. Why not just come out? Jesus will still love you.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Is your "good news" that if one is made by God in a certain way, that god will kill him/her?

No, God does NOT want you to stay in your sin, but despite how many messengers He sends, including His own Son, you have killed all of us and ignored His Son!

Incidentally, recount how you "worked" your way out of sin, and how leaving 'sin' is a pathway to God's good side. Are you now sinless in that you never, ever under any circumstances commit sin? Not in your mind as Jesus warned all you Pharisees about (He who has looked on a woman with lust has committed adultery with her already or it's not enough for one to say they haven't committed murder of those they hate---they have to love whom they hate)?

You have no good news, just dire warnings about sins you commit which you think you don't. Paul was writing to you in Romans 2:1--

You do the same things, hypocrite. There is no star shining over your head---and however far away from God you think some gay person is----you remain a hundred yards further away.

Me? I'm no better than any of them and counting on grace as much as any homosexual Christian. Besides, our transgender lady, Geekigurl, has us both outgunned when it comes to Scriptural evidence, and more importantly with a Christian heart.

Thank you, warden. These aren't issues I necessarily wanted to study. I had to, I had to know His thoughts, I had to know His will for me. It was about two long years of intense study and prayer. I realize not all are willing to devote that much time to studying (going beyond what's written on the page) and sincere, serious prayer, but my life, and my heart was changed through this by His Spirit.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:26 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Thank you, warden. These aren't issues I necessarily wanted to study. I had to, I had to know His thoughts, I had to know His will for me. It was about two long years of intense study and prayer. I realize not all are willing to devote that much time to studying (going beyond what's written on the page) and sincere, serious prayer, but my life, and my heart was changed through this by His Spirit.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:58 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I have no idea what that means. I'm assuming it is likely a caricature of an actual argument/statement you've heard a Christian make. Could you please explain this?
Absolutely not a caricature. God is responsible for everything in Nature. Indeed nature itself is a manifestation of God's own self. Since there are hundreds and hundreds of species that exhibit homosexuality--many species with a far higher number of homosexuals than in humans---God is obviously manifesting His desire that homosexuality be a part of "nature." And those who have studied homosexuality in animals note that it appears to be a method of reducing tensions among males. In t his country we would do well to have 20% of our population to be homosexual as testosterone fueled tension in America.
Quote:
I really didn't suggest that. Nowhere have I made the argument that we "get on God's good side" by cleaning up our behavior.
Here is the answer you provided to my quote which was never addressed to you anyway:
Quote:
If your "good news" is that God wants someone to simply stay in their sin and they're ok, that's not good news.
BaptistFundie, post #686

Would you like to point out where any liberal Christian on the entire thread of Christianity said God wants people to stay in their sin. I don't want YOU staying in your sin, but it appears what I want and what you decide to do are miles apart! The point is WHAT IS SIN!!! Jesus never indicated homosexuality was sin. In fact, he healed the sex servant of a Roman centurion (and there is far more evidence that that is what the boy servant was than not--but I won't bore you with facts you will ignore anyway). And Jesus also spoke of those who were eunuchs from birth. That was hardly someone who was born without testicles as that occurs in only one out of ten million MALES and there were at most five million people in Judea and the surrounding nations. Jesus was speaking of those who were not attracted to males and exhibited "feminine" characteristics.

Your including homosexuality as a "sin" that people live in defies the fact that it shows up naturally all around us, and ignores Jesus' acceptance of people as God had made them in birth.

Quote:
I have NEVER suggested that I am without sin. Honestly...please just get that through your head. NOWHERE have I ever suggested that.

But just like it would be unloving for me to simply suggest that an adulterer, or a drunkard, or a pedophile, or anyone else is simply ok in their sin....it is unkind and unloving to suggest that God somehow looks on their sin and smiles -- whatever their sexual deviancy is.
Well spending all your time talking about "other" sinners is certainly a method of avoiding your own.

In addition your "kindness" and "lovingheartedness" is sin in the eyes of Jesus:

Quote:
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye.
Matt 7:5

Since you admit to being a sinner, please come back when there is no sin in your life. That was the whole point of Jesus' message. All of us are hypocrites when we begin talking about the sins of others.

The key part of that verse is what Jesus tells you to do FIRST

Old 08-01-2018, 05:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Absolutely not a caricature. God is responsible for everything in Nature. Indeed nature itself is a manifestation of God's own self. Since there are hundreds and hundreds of species that exhibit homosexuality--many species with a far higher number of homosexuals than in humans---God is obviously manifesting His desire that homosexuality be a part of "nature." And those who have studied homosexuality in animals note that it appears to be a method of reducing tensions among males. In t his country we would do well to have 20% of our population to be homosexual as testosterone fueled tension in America.
Wait...you're saying that animals can have a sexual identity? Is that it?
Quote:
Here is the answer you provided to my quote which was never addressed to you anyway:
BaptistFundie, post #686

Would you like to point out where any liberal Christian on the entire thread of Christianity said God wants people to stay in their sin. I don't want YOU staying in your sin, but it appears what I want and what you decide to do are miles apart! The point is WHAT IS SIN!!! Jesus never indicated homosexuality was sin. In fact, he healed the sex servant of a Roman centurion (and there is far more evidence that that is what the boy servant was than not--but I won't bore you with facts you will ignore anyway). And Jesus also spoke of those who were eunuchs from birth. That was hardly someone who was born without testicles as that occurs in only one out of ten million MALES and there were at most five million people in Judea and the surrounding nations. Jesus was speaking of those who were not attracted to males and exhibited "feminine" characteristics.

Your including homosexuality as a "sin" that people live in defies the fact that it shows up naturally all around us, and ignores Jesus' acceptance of people as God had made them in birth.

Well spending all your time talking about "other" sinners is certainly a method of avoiding your own.

In addition your "kindness" and "lovingheartedness" is sin in the eyes of Jesus:

Matt 7:5

Since you admit to being a sinner, please come back when there is no sin in your life. That was the whole point of Jesus' message. All of us are hypocrites when we begin talking about the sins of others.

The key part of that verse is what Jesus tells you to do FIRST
And I answered your point. God nowhere suggests that we should simply act from our disjointed view of the world based on our sinful natures if it contradicts his commands.

You mentioned above that animals practice homosexuality, so it's natural. Along that line, I recall when I was a kid, I had a pet gerbil that ate her babies. My understanding is that cannibalism is not all that uncommon in nature. Do you mean to suggest that since it's "natural", that humans should also practice it? Or is that a sinful, evil desire that some practice, and perhaps it's not something to be encouraged or applauded?

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 08-01-2018 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 05:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
And you don't consider forcing Christian business owners to engage in business transactions that involve their immoral lifestyle an example of forcing their lifestyle on us?
If you have a business that is open-to-the-public, then you serve them without prejudice or discrimination.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy
I guess you have never been to Mardi Gras. It is a parade of "fornicators" to use your term.

As for the GLBT community shoving their lifestyle down your throat, 2 comments. First it isn't a lifestyle, it is a life. Second seeing a same-sex couple doing anything isn't shoving their life down your throat anymore than seeing an opposite sex couple doing the exact same thing. The only differences is the lens of prejudice and bigotry you view the couple through.
Quote:
And you don't consider forcing Christian business owners to engage in business transactions that involve their immoral lifestyle an example of forcing their lifestyle on us?
Would you please describe the 'immorality' of 'the homosexual lifestyle' that you claim to be so uptight about, Jeff? If you could explain where you're coming from it might help your cause. Personally, I don't know what your gripe about homosexuality actually is. I really don't. If someone's (imagined) intimate relationship with another causes you stress as it appears to then this suggests to me that this is a personal issue that you probably need to deal with. On the other hand, if you're so hung up on what you interpret the Bible authors having said about homosexuality then you should bring this to the table so that it can be discussed in detail ...y'know, appropriate chapter and verse, that kind of stuff.

I've asked this question many times but no effective answer has been forthcoming. So, I'll ask you personally, Jeff, to respond if you would be so kind. Where - this is the question - in the Bible are same gender sex practices mentioned other than with regard to idolatry and affiliated temple prostitution? There are so very few places in the entire Bible that speak of same-gender sex practices so it's not as if I'm asking for hours of your time.

Quote:
How about trying to watch tv and every freaking show has to have a gay character?
Remedy: Don't watch if these shows cause you anxiety. Otherwise, get therapy to help you deal with it.

Quote:
Or attempting to force pastors to conduct gay weddings,
Is this just empty rhetoric or has this actually happened?

Quote:
or Christian colleges forced to accept homosexuality or lose funding, or Christian ministries forced to hire gay people?
Jeff, you DO know that gay people are actually fellow human beings that you, in your bigotry, have attached a label, don't you?

Remedy: Stop!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:49 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Why does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?

Jeff, BF and others,
Abandon your carnal thinking and carnal focus and listen to the Comforter within and focus on love of God and each other every day and repent when you don't. You are harming your soul by judging and mistreating others in the name of God.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
If one is not serious they do not learn. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.