Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 06:19 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's in the rules at the top of the main Religion & Spirituality forum. It's a good idea to read the rules.
i've used them before in other threads unrelated to religion and no one said anything... ok, so i can use purple? yellow? blue? green? pink? brown? and they're ok? just not red...? ok, too bad. my university colors were red and white. oh well....

Last edited by urbanlemur; 01-28-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 08:52 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,731,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
baptist handled this defamation of character rather well. if one of us conservatives or "fundies" had said this about any of you progressives, you would have gone ballistic and called for our heads on a platter.

stay on the straight and narrow baptist....
I’ve been called numerous names by fundamentalists. Doesn’t bother me even slightly. Jesus followers cannot be insulted by names. It’s one way to spot a self-serving fundamentalist as they almost always perceive themselves as persecuted rather than corrected.

In addition to having a Savior who insulates my soul from such trivia, this is a CYBER name!!! How can a cyber name be insulted? Call me anything you wish, but we progressives see “persecution” as a trait of fundamentalists. Moreover it isn’t based in any empirical data—-only opinion.

Quote:
Persecution refers to systematic religious discrimination and marginalization. It is the opposite of power. A weak group can be persecuted, but a powerful group cannot.

Are Christians a weak and marginalized group?

Here are the facts. Christians are vastly over-represented in national politics, not underrepresented. While roughly 70 percent of the U.S. population identifies as Christian, 91 percent of Congress identifies as such — a percentage that has remained roughly the same since the 1960s. The proportion of Christians in many state legislatures is even higher. Every member of the Supreme Court appears to be religiously affiliated (though not all of them are Christian), and no atheist has ever sat on that court. That over-representation means that either Christians have superior access to the mechanisms of electioneering or that being Christian is such a boon to candidacy that most people claim to be Christian regardless of their personal beliefs. Either of these possibilities fully precludes the possibility that Christians as a group experience formal marginalization or informal scorn that bars them from the halls of power. The opposite is true.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6bae9a147e89

Crimes against religious groups? Far more prevalent against Muslims and Jews.

Quote:
Jewish and Muslim communities are the most targeted religious groups, according to FBI data, and advocacy organizations report a rise in hate crimes during the past year.
https://publicintegrity.org/federal-...s-join-forces/

Yet the inability of fundamentalists to review data objectively means most American fundamentalists will see FBI data as “fake.”

But it is their own belief system that is truly fake, no matter how sincerely they believe it. I compare fundamentalist religious beliefs to those who boarded the Titanic in April, 1912. Every passenger on board believed the current hype that the ship was “unsinkable.” None bothered to research the ship to discover it didn’t have even half the lifeboats needed for all passengers. They boarded with a sincere belief only to see those beliefs sink underneath them.

So fundamentalists, being adept at fact avoidance will cling to to the false notion that they are “persecuted” and will turn every criticism, no matter how factually based, into a “I am a poor persecuted christian because I am a “true” Bible believer.” jeffbase40 made the claim in a previous post that the persecution of his brand of Christianity was “proof” that they were right.

Never underestimate the egotism of a fundamentalist. It’s why they feel superior to progressives as well as homosexuals. And why they find no need to look at other points of view.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:33 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
baptist handled this defamation of character rather well. if one of us conservatives or "fundies" had said this about any of you progressives, you would have gone ballistic and called for our heads on a platter.

stay on the straight and narrow baptist....
I have been called all manner of things on here and they roll off me like they've never touched me. The straight and narrow of the fundamentalist is the broad way of destruction.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have been called all manner of things on here and they roll off me like they've never touched me. The straight and narrow of the fundamentalist is the broad way of destruction.
well, we agree on the name calling issue and how it doesn't bother us but personally, after what i have seen here and read up on, i won't be making any visits to a progressive church-ever, thank you...of that you can be certain.

Last edited by urbanlemur; 01-29-2019 at 05:21 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I’ve been called numerous names by fundamentalists. Doesn’t bother me even slightly. Jesus followers cannot be insulted by names. It’s one way to spot a self-serving fundamentalist as they almost always perceive themselves as persecuted rather than corrected.

In addition to having a Savior who insulates my soul from such trivia, this is a CYBER name!!! How can a cyber name be insulted? Call me anything you wish, but we progressives see “persecution” as a trait of fundamentalists. Moreover it isn’t based in any empirical data—-only opinion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6bae9a147e89

Crimes against religious groups? Far more prevalent against Muslims and Jews.

https://publicintegrity.org/federal-...s-join-forces/

Yet the inability of fundamentalists to review data objectively means most American fundamentalists will see FBI data as “fake.”

But it is their own belief system that is truly fake, no matter how sincerely they believe it. I compare fundamentalist religious beliefs to those who boarded the Titanic in April, 1912. Every passenger on board believed the current hype that the ship was “unsinkable.” None bothered to research the ship to discover it didn’t have even half the lifeboats needed for all passengers. They boarded with a sincere belief only to see those beliefs sink underneath them.

So fundamentalists, being adept at fact avoidance will cling to to the false notion that they are “persecuted” and will turn every criticism, no matter how factually based, into a “I am a poor persecuted christian because I am a “true” Bible believer.” jeffbase40 made the claim in a previous post that the persecution of his brand of Christianity was “proof” that they were right.

Never underestimate the egotism of a fundamentalist. It’s why they feel superior to progressives as well as homosexuals. And why they find no need to look at other points of view.
well, we agree on the name calling bit anyway as far as how it affects us, but everything else....no

Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
well, we agree on the name calling issue and how it doesn't bother us but personally, after what i have seen here and read up on, i'll never darken the door of a progressive church...of that you can be certain.
That's fair enough, and i doubt very much i would.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 AM

88,700 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
well, we agree on the name calling issue and how it doesn't bother us but personally, after what i have seen here and read up on, i won't be making any visits to a progressive church-ever, thank you...of that you can be certain.
No, you would not be at all comfortable in my church. We have a few gay people, two of whom are a male couple who were married there when it became legal in NJ. They are quite active in the parish.

One day I was speaking with one of the men, and he said, "You know, we were made to feel so welcome here even though we are gay. Of course, we're not flamboyant or anything." I said, "Nah, I haven't seen you show up to church wearing feather boas." (That was a joke. This man is a professor at a law school, very conservative in his appearance.)

He said, "Well, 'Bob', would if I let him, but I won't let him."

Another single gay parishioner throws this fantastic Halloween party every year and invites the whole church. He does up his house inside and out. Takes him weeks to get ready.

They're good people and very much a part of our parish community.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, you would not be at all comfortable in my church. We have a few gay people, two of whom are a male couple who were married there when it became legal in NJ. They are quite active in the parish.

One day I was speaking with one of the men, and he said, "You know, we were made to feel so welcome here even though we are gay. Of course, we're not flamboyant or anything." I said, "Nah, I haven't seen you show up to church wearing feather boas." (That was a joke. This man is a professor at a law school, very conservative in his appearance.)

He said, "Well, 'Bob', would if I let him, but I won't let him."

Another single gay parishioner throws this fantastic Halloween party every year and invites the whole church. He does up his house inside and out. Takes him weeks to get ready.

They're good people and very much a part of our parish community.
contrary to what you posted, i am not uncomfortable around gay people....i witness to all walks of life the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
contrary to what you posted, i am not uncomfortable around gay people....i witness to all walks of life the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I bet you're a riot at parties. Or just about anywhere.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I bet you're a riot at parties. Or just about anywhere.
i guess you'll never know, will you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity