Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,481,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Snowflake?

Who says such rules cannot be changed?

No one.

If you were willing to find common ground, you'd find it, but you are not interested in it, you are only interested in hurting people.
Rules can be changed. There's a process for it.

Unless of course you're comfortable with government workers just making up their own rules on the fly.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:40 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,948,500 times
Quote:
Snowflake?

No one.

If you were willing to find common ground, you'd find it, but you are not interested in it, you are only interested in hurting people.
Sure, the rules can be changed.

You ARE aware that the Kentucky legislature does not sit until January, right? So, until and unless those rules are changed, Davis took an OATH to duly perform her legal duties.

Do you think the OATH she took means nothing. Here it is, BTW.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=21176

Notice that Davis swore, 'so help me God'? What does that mean???

Old 09-29-2015, 11:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,258,331 times
Quote:
Snowflake?

No one.

Note how he whined about no accommodation.

When the accommodation was explained (for the umpteenth time) the whining changes to it's not the accommodation HE wanted - dammit!

They should change the law so this poor, browbeaten, martyr - making a mere 80K annual pittance - can be paid for not doing the job she swore to do!

The world according to Finn.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:29 PM

8,285 posts, read 8,696,431 times
Quote:
Snowflake?

No one.

SHE is the one that chose to hurt people. There is no common ground. Her name must be on the license. She must give them a license.

You must have been great during segregation. If they didn't want to wait on a Black person they should find common ground or be accommodated. That is the same thing you are saying about gays.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,345,104 times
Quote:
Another poster who is unable to see any other solution than tear her down........

She wanted her name removed from the gay license. Is that too much to ask for?

No I do not think so. But she also wanted the county name off of it as well. The first time she was jailed she refused to allow her clerks to issue them under their own name. Personally I do not care if she sits in her office when a gay person comes into the office, all I think needs to be availalbe is if a gay person comes in for a marriage license the county issues them one. Is that too much to ask for. Do you support Jeff in thinking they should have to go to another county? I know that some others want her to have to issue them but as long as it has the county's name on it and is legal and they can get it at the county office I am fine.

Where did I say I did not see any other solutions than tear her down? Please point that out. I said that she was offerered accomodations and originally refused them. What my post was about was that Jeff's idea of accomodation was that gays would have to go to another county and she would be able to decide based on her religious beliefs who qualified for services from the government in her county. That someone else in the office issues it is accomodating her, that no one in her office can go against her religious beleifs in giving her rights that her office does not hold, making her above both the State and the Supreme Court.

I await your showing me how the only solution I want is for her to be torn down.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:35 PM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
When the accommodation was explained (for the umpteenth time) the whining changes to it's not the accommodation HE wanted - dammit!
They should change the law so this poor, browbeaten, martyr - making a mere 80K annual pittance - can be paid for not doing the job she swore to do!
Concise and cogent summary of the absurd expectations of the fundamentalists, Trout!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:43 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,252,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That's called an "inconvenience". They could have easily drove to another county to get it, or find another bakery instead of seeking to drive someone out of business.
If you LIVE in a county, WORK in the county, PAY TAXES to the county, why would you have to go to ANOTHER county to get a licence that is issued in YOUR county??

Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Well, yeah. She's special. She's a fundamentalist. She needs to be accommodated because this woman could go to HELL if she issues a license to a same sex couple. Her very soul is in danger if she's forced to do her job. Poor thing.

If those sinning gays would just go along with separate but equal and go someplace else she wouldn't be feeling the flames licking at her feet. IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!!

And the Constitution's! And the Supreme Court's. And the ACLU's. And Saul Alinsky's. And the heathens and the atheists and...and....the commie pinko churches flying the rainbow flag. But mostly it's Obama's. If he hadn't been elected Ms. Davis wouldn't have to worry about gay Americans and she could just sit and enjoy an RC Cola and a Moon Pie instead of worrying about enforcing God's authority. And being chased by Satan.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,761,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sure, the rules can be changed.

You ARE aware that the Kentucky legislature does not sit until January, right? So, until and unless those rules are changed, Davis took an OATH to duly perform her legal duties.

Do you think the OATH she took means nothing. Here it is, BTW.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=21176

Notice that Davis swore, 'so help me God'? What does that mean???
Again, the pope's comment was not about one person.

As for the oath, she took an oath before they changed the laws. It goes back to the prison guard scenario. I have taken a military oath, but should that mean I would have to do obey any law they come up with in the future?

Old 09-29-2015, 02:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,250,148 times
Quote:
Again, the pope's comment was not about one person.

As for the oath, she took an oath before they changed the laws. It goes back to the prison guard scenario. I have taken a military oath, but should that mean I would have to do obey any law they come up with in the future?
As long as you are employed by the military, yes you do have to follow the laws passed after you swear your oath. Just like elected officials have to follow all laws, even the ones enacted after they are sworn into office.

I got a drivers license before they changed the speed limit, does that mean that the new speed limit doesn't apply to me? I bought my house before they changed the zoning in my area, does that mean that the new zoning laws don't apply to me? There are thousands of laws that were passed after I was born, does that mean that they don't apply to me?

In the case of Miss Davis it would be more like the prison warden deciding that he didn't approve of executions, and would not let any take place in the prison at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.