Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

When the shoes are on other's feet..
Attached Thumbnails
Pope:  Govt. workers have right to refuse gay marriage licenses-allah_not_god.jpg  

Old 09-30-2015, 06:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many conscientious objectors served in Vietnam. They did duties where they didn't have to kill anyone. They saved many lives working in the hospitals. etc. I would not have wanted to be there without my rifle, it was scary enough with it.
Indeed, and that is the point I have been trying to make. If there is a will, there is a way. Not everyone in the military has to kill, some can save lives too, so if there are some who believe killing is wrong, they can still serve. People here see prison or firing squad as the only alternative for people who object due to religious reasons.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Indeed, and that is the point I have been trying to make. If there is a will, there is a way. Not everyone in the military has to kill, some can save lives too, so if there are some who believe killing is wrong, they can still serve. People here see prison or firing squad as the only alternative for people who object due to religious reasons.

She would have to give up her elected job, and return to the clerk job she had prior to her election. She would not have the same responsibility. The Legislature could appoint another clerk in the office to serve the remainder of the term, and Kim Davis keeps a job she loves without the responsibility of the higher office. It seems her son, who will not issue marriage licenses, is not having an issue in the office that we know of. Other workers are pick up the slack, and he does some filing.

Kim Davis would be free to run for office again, and tell people upfront gay people cannot be married, and she serves God. Her opponent of course would be free to produce evidence of Kim Davis selectively serving her God when the role of every elected official is to serve the community.

It seems reasonable. I wonder why she has not suggested it?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

Those who support same sex marriage mainly support anything that allows the office to issue the licenses

Those who support obeying the law mainly support anything that allows the office to issue the licenses

Those who oppose SSM seem to support anything that allows the preventing of issuing the licenses

The lack of will appears to be on Mrs Davis side, the judge offerred her a way out, the same sex couples did not demand that she issue the license and did not want her to go to jail. Until she is willing to accept a method that allows her office to issue the licenses while not forcing her to personally issue them there is no solution. The ball is totally in her court. Unless you agree with Jeff that she should simply get her way and that is that. Her opponents have bent over backwards trying to accomodate her,

All the while you are critical of those who think her office should issue the licenses saying we are out to get her and we should be open to a solution. Most of us on the thread think that a solution should be worked out, the court and the government think that but she does not, If you want to judge posters try judging those supporting her ban on SSM out of her office. you seem to want to sit on a high horse but takes the side of the one not cooperating. Mr Davis is the one without the will to find a solution.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Those who support same sex marriage mainly support anything that allows the office to issue the licenses

Those who support obeying the law mainly support anything that allows the office to issue the licenses

Those who oppose SSM seem to support anything that allows the preventing of issuing the licenses
I don't think you are reading the posts.

I do not support SSM, but I have said repeatedly that if people are willing to find a solution, they can find one which will satisfy both parties.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
I don't think you are reading the posts.

I do not support SSM, but I have said repeatedly that if people are willing to find a solution, they can find one which will satisfy both parties.
And the only one UNWILLING in the KY case was Kim Davis.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep. She was adamant that she had "God on her side" -- until the court stepped in.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

That is exactly what I have been saying too, lets find a solution but it should not be that Kim Davis gets to decide what laws her office will obey.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Yes. I can see a lot of posts from those who might be seen as arguing for Kim's view but are not. They are arguing for a reasonable compromise. The law is clear, so the compromise is only about how she can be allowed to stay in a job that she refuses to do because it conflicts with her religious views.

She (and a few ossified Christian extremists) are the ones who will not budge, compromise or be reasonable. But it doesn't matter. That battle is lost, whether the fundy Christians admit it or not and the only issue is whether she loses gracefully or tries to play the persecuted martyr.

In an odd way I like it that the current pope went out of his way to give her a hug and pat on the back. It shows that the embattled forces of Fundy reaction and outmoded tradition are having to come together in a sort of unholy pact in hopes to hold the fort when even the troops they thought they could count on won't fight this battle.

I'm not sure it was here or another thread. But someone was quoting a horrible article that suggested that it was right to exclude Christian Gays in the hope of coercing them into being something they can't be. But the OP lit a candle.

Not to oppose is helping tolerance as much as helping. They also serve who only stand and do nothing.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:22 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times
Let's just say, Kim Davis needs to look for a non-taxpayer funded job. Good luck finding another clerk job in her area that pays 80K. I seriously doubt she will be reelected to her position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.