Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 07:05 PM

920 posts, read 931,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
scripture slingers, because not even the truth matters..
It's a Christian forum meaning the holy scriptures are the authority. Truth matters.
Don't use others as an excuse to avoid positing the truth of scripture.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:15 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
God CAN save. Further, He doesn't need the Bible to do it.

Ask any of the Christians that came to being in the early first century who had no Scripture--or for that matter late in the first century when there were twice as many different letters and gospels as we have now.

God was still able to save.

Imagine!

Old 03-12-2016, 07:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
God CAN save. Further, He doesn't need the Bible to do it.
It only takes his presence to change a heart.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:35 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Oh yeah, thank you I just remembered now it is the seventh day adventists who believe this along with the JWs
Sorry, this is off topic from the original post, but I feel compelled to correct mistaken views of my faith

It's incorrect to state Jehovah's Witnesses believe in "soul sleep"

It is written:

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.'-Genesis 3:19 (KJV)

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.-Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)

"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die."-Ezekiel 18:4 (KJV)

What was ancient Jewish belief right up through Jesus' s day (Jesus was a Jew so he believed and read from the scrolls in existence at the time)? Jews believed that the rich, poor, righteous, wicked ended up in the same place (read Job 3:11-19). Thoughts perish at death...Psalm 146:4. This is DIFFERENT than modern day Jewish belief and among many of various Christian faiths.

Just my humble opinion but I believe in order to understand the Bible it's important to understand what the Bible writers thought at the time they put "pen to paper" rather than modern day doctrine.

What did Jesus say about death?

"11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.

13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.-John 11:11-13. (KJV)

What did Lazarus say about the afterlife when Jesus resurrected him?

When we die, we die. HOWEVER our hope lies in the resurrection.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:37 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Sorry, this is off topic from the original post, but I feel compelled to correct mistaken views of my faith

It's incorrect to state Jehovah's Witnesses believe in "soul sleep"
Thanks for the correction. I guess both OutdoorsyGal and I had that wrong.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:39 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, thank you I just remembered now it is the seventh day adventists who believe this along with the JWs
I don't want to derail this thread other than to make this one point ...if you knew the scriptures as well as you claim ...YOU would see the MANY references to death being equated to "sleep". It's TOTALLY biblical and has nothing to do with SDA or JW 'beliefs' as if THEY have made up this stuff. The term 'soul sleep' nonsense (NEVER referred to by Adventists by that term) is just an attempt by evangelical Christians to discredit SDAs and make them appear to be 'of the devil'. It's all rather nonsensical, but then, so is much of present day Christianity. Anyway, if you wish to discuss this any further then I would suggest you take it to one of the SDA threads. But PLEASE ...get some Bible-savvy before you do . . .

Meanwhile I'll sift through your many recent lengthy threads (good for you since this is what a debate forum is all about and helps to keep us all on our toes) and respond to at least some of the highlights.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
It's a Christian forum meaning the holy scriptures are the authority. Truth matters.
Don't use others as an excuse to avoid positing the truth of scripture.
NO, it is a christian forum to discuss Christ--validation of the scriptures are NOT required.

Scriptures must NEVER replace TRUTH. The TRUTH is the WORD and the WORD existed LONG before any bible was ever written...

Too many have allowed "scriptures"to become an IDOL and twisted whatever the original intent was (because no one really knows) to fit a a personal agenda to manipulate and oppress the masses.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:38 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
NO, it is a christian forum to discuss Christ--validation of the scriptures are NOT required.

Scriptures must NEVER replace TRUTH. The TRUTH is the WORD and the WORD existed LONG before any bible was ever written...

Too many have allowed "scriptures"to become an IDOL and twisted whatever the original intent was (because no one really knows) to fit a a personal agenda to manipulate and oppress the masses.
Jesus, whom you quote often, referred to scripture many times. Ironic, isn't it?

Old 03-12-2016, 08:41 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:

Amen. They truly have elevated the Bible to the status of their God and ignore the New Covenant Jesus died for. Jesus is the LIVING Word of God, NOT the Bible. The Bible prepared us for Him and tells us of Him, but He is the only word of God. Once you know the "mind of Christ," you know the mind of God. He said God IS agape love and demonstrated what that means through scourging and crucifixion by loving even His torturers and murderers because they knew not what they did (=ignorance). Everything else in the "precepts and doctrines of men" is the result of human ignorance, vanity and hubris.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:45 PM

920 posts, read 931,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I don't want to derail this thread other than to make this one point ...if you knew the scriptures as well as you claim ...YOU would see the MANY references to death being equated to "sleep".

Um... excuse me. Remember when I said you were batting 1000 today? Now I am thinking these lies are deliberate. Especially when the EXACT opposite was stated.

Quote:
It's TOTALLY biblical and has nothing to do with SDA or JW 'beliefs' as if THEY have made up this stuff.
"The JW's and Mormons believe in Soul Sleep if I recall. if it is truth, it doesn't matter"

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43336390-post474.html

I stated it doesn't matter who believes it, JW's Catholics, Baptists or whoever, as long as it is truth.

Now stop trying to make it say the opposite then TRY TO APPLY YOUR OWN LIES TO ME

Quote:
The term 'soul sleep' nonsense (NEVER referred to by Adventists by that term) is just an attempt by evangelical Christians to discredit SDAs and make them appear to be 'of the devil'.
Stop your rediculous accusations of JW's making it up and now other christian groups making this or that up to make others look bad. You are the only one making up stories of hate pitting groups against one another here.
You've lied about me despite my disclaimer clarifying myself and now you're choosing other particular religous groups to lie about. Whoever these religous people are you hate and lie a bout, just stop.
Get saved. Get on your knees and pray each time you feel like making stuff up and pointing fingers someone else said it. STOP
Quote:
Anyway, if you wish to discuss this any further then I would suggest you take it to one of the SDA threads. But PLEASE ...get some Bible-savvy before you do . . .
I do NOT want to discuss this further, it is just small talk and I've told you you are batting a thousand in hopes you will have a smigid of intergrity to get the hint.

HERE'S THE THREAD

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43335215-post458.html

Hating on this or that group, saying JW's and pther groups made up soul sleep is out of line. It is possible they derived that belief from an honest evaluation of the holy scriptures eh. They've directly quoted verses indicating such. But that alludes you since all you use the holy scriptures for is to lie about others and spew hate. Over and over, even when threads are posted

Quote:
Meanwhile I'll sift through your many recent lengthy threads (good for you since this is what a debate forum is all about and helps to keep us all on our toes) and respond to at least some of the highlights.
I suggest you leave me alone. Stop lying about me singling out particular RELIGIOUS group or person such as JW's, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists etc..

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 03-12-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity