Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The Holy Spirit is consistent with those words written in ink. In fact, the Holy Spirit could lead you to a specific passage that speaks to your situation.
Excellent, jeffbase. Now could you give a brief description of those characteristics of the Holy Spirit described by Jesus so we know that it is the guidance of the Holy Spirit and not something else?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:46 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Absolutely correct! And THAT should lead you to the guidance of the Holy Spirit as promised in those scriptures, consistent with the character of that Spirit revealed by Christ, and not to dependence on words written in ink.
You have to depend on the ink to write the portion of your post not in bold red. But then you say don't depend on the ink.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You have to depend on the ink to write the portion of your post not in bold red. But then you say don't depend on the ink.
That's right, DRob4JC, as I have said a hundred times before (slight exaggeration) it is not the ink that is the authority or the believability, it is the confirmation of the Spirit as checked and consistent with the characteristics of that Spirit revealed by Christ.

Why is it that so many fundamentalists can't seem to get that through their heads and take every reference to scripture as an appeal to authority?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieGibbler View Post
Wow! Where did all of this come from?? and much of it is assumptions about me, I am new here

all I said was, "Mercy doesn't guarantee salvation though we all wish it did"

The same poster keeps making this weird claims to me which can be summarized like this: "I have no idea what you believe, so let me tell you what you believe", and then he comes up some really strange views and claims that is what I believe.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Great response! It probably falls on deaf ears of the bigoted, but great response.
Thank you denverian. It did, apparently. It always does it seems.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,379,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Who decides? Are you serious? Do you think any of this stuff comes out of thin air? The potter, of course. Rebellion is as of the sin of witchcraft. Witchcraft at it's core, is self will. It's basically the pot saying, no G-d, I don't need you, I can do whatever I want to do and you can stuff it. And He actually let man get somewhat away (sowing and reaping has NOT ended) with that scenario for a season, but that season is just about over.

Were some of you guys raised by wolves or what? Did you not have a parent that put limitations on you, not because they were being "mean", but because they LOVED you more than themselves and were willing to take some disgruntled threats and temper tantrums from you (I'm gonna run away and live with Brian's parents, cause they let him do whatever he wants!) to do what was RIGHT and in YOUR BEST INTEREST?

Yes? Then is man more righteous than G-d? Are we now to assume that because of the age of our flesh, the Spirit which is eternal, doesn't know as much as WE do about the general make of things and what is best for our ETERNAL state? Come on guys, think!

And you might be surprised that there are many things that are just that cut and dry once the historical and the moral context is understood with the added spiritual principles in place.

ASAP on the reply to that, but may have to delay another day as I just found out I have to take my daughter way out of town tomorrow for an appointment. Peace
Man this thread is moving fast...Anyways, that was a simple question you took it a weird direction as if I'm one of the devils kitchen appliances...I'm NOT saying rebeling against God is a good idea and I thought that was obvious! 'Rebeling' (or if you can't get over the use of word rebel, I'll say "challenging") against popular Christian ideas because of things a person finds scripturally, logically, and morally questionable is not automatically "the spirit of Witchcraft!" Thats just nonsense. The popular Christian opinion of the day should never be equated with God. Martin Luther was right in his Challenge of the norm..So were African Americans to challenge their slave owners understanding of scripture..So was Galileo. Need more examples? Side tracking this discussion because of my use of the word Rebellious is pointless.

If you think the homosexuality issue is so cut and dry, how about if you start by engaging Romulus in the type of deep exegesis discussion they would like you to and then we can see who is 'raised by wolves' and who isn't...heh, raised by wolves..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
That's right, DRob4JC, as I have said a hundred times before (slight exaggeration) it is not the ink that is the authority or the believability, it is the confirmation of the Spirit as checked and consistent with the characteristics of that Spirit revealed by Christ.

Why is it that so many fundamentalists can't seem to get that through their heads and take every reference to scripture as an appeal to authority?

The Holy Spirit is accessible to all believers in Christ. Everything that He communicates will be in line with the Bible. Why? Because He is responsible for content in the Bible - that's 2 Peter 1:21... the Holy Spirit moved men to record what is provided in the Bible. The same Holy Spirit that they had while on the earth when they recorded the original text, is in believers on the earth today.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:

Maybe because the Bible teaches us that the Word is our sword and shield? Or do you just conveniently cut out that part? Or how about the story where Jesus defeated the temptation of Satan with the Word of God? Perhaps you are not aware that there is a spiritual war going on out there.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:45 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Maybe because the Bible teaches us that the Word is our sword and shield? Or do you just conveniently cut out that part? Or how about the story where Jesus defeated the temptation of Satan with the Word of God? Perhaps you are not aware that there is a spiritual war going on out there.
The Word that is your sword and shield is Jesus, NOT the Bible. The Word was made flesh. It was NOT made the Bible. When Jesus defeated Satan it was because whatever Jesus spoke was the Word, NOT any non-existent Bible.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM

23,153 posts, read 10,449,759 times
It is a grand Idea to wish that I was not a liar or a thief or a murderer, and most certainly, If I was not the sexual immoral whether in body or spirit, this idea escapes me.

I am a hermit by nature and I keep my eyes on the ground to a point that total strangers will tell me to pick my head up. When I do pick my head up, I may see an angel, a full figured older woman, yeah, bbw.

It just happens, and it doesn't matter that she is married or that I only looked for 5 seconds, what is the most allowed seconds to lust after another man's wife? It's funny cause I have had a million people tell me that all men do it and if you only do it for a few seconds, well it don't count.

But I am the sexual immoral to my own self as I will pace and walk around the room in my grandeur of being so wise that I almost feel like a king, and then I feel so stupid as if it were two men in a bed, and where I should have been an humble submissive female in spirit, my imaginations brought vanity of a man who would be king.

This is a type of spiritual sexual immorality just as it was when Israel committed adultery by worshipping another God and celebrating themselves.

Which is worse, spiritual fornication and adultery that you do not admit you commit, or sexual immorality in the flesh?

One is a sin in the flesh, and the other a vain foolishness in the spirit.

What man is not a murderer after he has become angry with others?

If we really and truly believe what Jesus said in saying that if you have hated your brother, you have committed murder, then we would admit our guilt but few people are willing.

And still the law is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity