Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:56 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He could have done quite well as an actor if he wanted to. But when he became a Christian he backed off of his acting career. To make that suggestion simply isn't logical. If all he wanted was money he'd be acting.

Little Mikey Seaver was as good as the ensemble cast surrounding him. He is not a good actor. I sat through Fireproof. Torture I tell you, torture

No King Lear, or Hamlet in him and it has nothing to do with his faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 08:56 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
So what makes something right and wrong? Are you able to say? Is it just assumed that some things are right? Some are wrong?
In the case of cheating on your spouse, how about asking yourself if the action you are considering will harm anyone, and are you taking into account the best interest of everyone who will be impacted by that course of action? I think that's pretty generally accepted criteria.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
He could have done quite well as an actor if he wanted to. But when he became a Christian he backed off of his acting career. To make that suggestion simply isn't logical. If all he wanted was money he'd be acting.
He could make oodles of money producing and directing successful movies. Unfortunately for him..... he makes terrible movies.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In the case of cheating on your spouse, how about asking yourself if the action you are considering will harm anyone, and are you taking into account the best interest of everyone who will be impacted by that course of action? I think that's pretty generally accepted criteria.
I've repeatedly asked this question and have never had anyone tell me: Why is the question of harm the deciding factor to determine right and wrong? Did you get that from some cosmic rulebook or something?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I've repeatedly asked this question and have never had anyone tell me: Why is the question of harm the deciding factor to determine right and wrong? Did you get that from some cosmic rulebook or something?
The "cosmic rule" is LOVE, Vizio (or, in Christian-ese, the spirit of God). Do you need a book to tell you to love and have concern for the best interest of your partner, your children, the person you want to have an affair with, their spouse, their children?

Honestly, it's a bit odd that you are even asking the question. Many people, Christian and non-Christian, take the well-being of others as well as self into account when deciding whether an action they wish to take is "right or wrong". If you don't, why?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The "cosmic rule" is LOVE, Vizio (or, in Christian-ese, the spirit of God).

How do you know that?

I happen to agree with you that we should love others. Of course we should. But I want to know how YOU know that we should.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
How do you know that?
Because I have been loved, am loved, and do love. You?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
How do you know that?

I happen to agree with you that we should love others. Of course we should. But I want to know how YOU know that we should.
It's called "empathy," Viz.

If you don't feel it, at least look it up so you'll know on some level what others experience.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:50 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
How do you know that?

The same way you, and Dr Ben Carson know you would be out of control without biblical direction.

You need the bible, and others manage successful lives without it. Being good is obviously not innate in everyone.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The same way you, and Dr Ben Carson know you would be out of control without biblical direction.

You need the bible, and others manage successful lives without it. Being good is obviously not innate in everyone.
You really haven't answered the question, either. What makes something "good", or "moral"? How is that determined? What source do you appeal to? Do you understand what I'm asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity