Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 AM

67 posts, read 46,442 times

Advertisements

The Christmas story is no more than a myth, as is the resurrection, as it is not credible, imo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,361,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ50 View Post
The Christmas story is no more than a myth, as is the resurrection, as it is not credible, imo!
MYTH--written by MEN and has no way of ever being PROVEN.

MYTHS are good, and it is ok to believe in them...

Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 PM

598 posts, read 360,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
There are many significant events throughout the life of Jesus Christ worth celebrating.

His whole life on earth, though brief, right from the immaculate conception of virgin Mary to His birth in Bethlehem, to the many miracles He performed, to the crucifixion, and finally to His resurrection, all were but an unfolding of a divine plan.

He was fulfilling His destiny to become the Savior to gentiles.

Resurrection was no doubt the climax of His journey as He defeated death and transformed Himself from Son of Man to Son of God, and laid the foundation rock for future Christianity. That's the most impressive miracle of all. It is certainly worth celebrating. We do that on Easter Sunday every year.

Of all the amazing events, His birth on earth in flesh and blood among us has to be the most significant. It was the starting point of His journey which led all the way to the resurrection. He MUST go through the entire process as a man from birth to death in order to fulfill the prophecy.

Resurrection wouldn't be possible without going through human death. Only through His ultimate triumph over death that we finally acknowledge the fact that He is indeed the Son of God, not just a mere mortal like the rest of us.

Death is just part of the circle of life, much like day and night that go round following each other perpetually. It is just a natural rhythm of life for us mortals. What sets Jesus Christ apart from us all is His mighty power to break away from that to us unbreakable cycle, the resurrection from death and eternal life.

His birth, His being a man among us, allowed Him to achieve that. Without birth, there would be no death and therefore no resurrection. The prophecy wouldn't be able to fulfill itself. That's why Christmas is such an important festival. We really have to celebrate His birth on Christmas day for that's the day that changes all our spiritual lives forever.

Amen to that.
I agree about celebrating His Life that by Law made His resurrection a given. However, it is IMO His resurrection that is to become our resurrection from death unto life that provides the way for us to become new and different persons than we were before coming to Him through the fulness of Him formed in us that is the high calling and hope of our profession.

Technically speaking Adam (spirit of man) in us died when we went to the Cross to be resurrected with Him even though Eve (soul of man) who came from Adam and became one flesh with Adam still lives on leading us into temptation thorough the 5 senses of the flesh. She still alive in us (our soul) is the problem we all face but if we seek His face in truth, our soul (Eve) will not be able to sidetrack us into following after the desires of our flesh.

Celebrating Christmas as a birthdate of Christ is a desire of the flesh as He was no more born on Christmas than I was. People say "so what if He was born during the fall feast over 3 months earlier, after all we can still celebrate His birthday any day we want after the same traditions of man that has celebrated Jesus birthday on december 25th for many centuries now".

Unfortunately this same hought line is just one more of the same traditions of man that has left us with a church that has about as much in common with the first century church as does our local PTA. meetings

When the truth returns to the worship of todays church so will the same signs and wonders that proved God's Blessings upon the leaders of the first century church, will be seen coming from the churches of today.

Something the local PTA will never be able to do anymore than the first century church ever once celebrated the birthday of Jesus in December.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:20 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,170,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelystone View Post
It would be much better to celebrate His resurrection, and for that matter His resurrection in you that is our only hope of Glory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
i would much rather we celebrate his LIFE...
Is there some reason why we must pick and choose? His birth, His life, His death and His resurrection were all a part of God's plan for our redemption.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:52 AM

598 posts, read 360,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Is there some reason why we must pick and choose? His birth, His life, His death and His resurrection were all a part of God's plan for our redemption.
No, it is all about Him and nothing about us.

However, we are to worship in truth and Jesus was not born anywhere near December 25th. There are reasons why not that are the same as why He was born during the fall feasts

Old 12-30-2015, 07:21 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,454,614 times
I believe from God's side it is everything about us. All that love were with we are loved we cannot come close to fathoming out, and that love according to the scriptures is within us to give to the world. Silver and gold have i not but what i do have(the love of God)i give you.

That the communication of our faith becomes effectual by the acknowleding of every good thing that is IN YOU that is in Christ. Philemon 1:6

Christmas as truly arrived when we know Christ in the manger we call our body.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,044,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelystone View Post
It would be much better to celebrate His resurrection, and for that matter His resurrection in you that is our only hope of Glory.
Good point ^ above ^ about Jesus' resurrection is our only hope.
Jesus gave one command and that is to remember his day of death - Luke 22:19. ( Jewish calendar Spring month of Nisan 14th day )
The Jews believed the day of death is better than the day of birth - Ecclesiastes 7:1
So, Jesus, nor his followers, would have celebrated birthday celebrations.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,044,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The scriptural reason would be found at Jesus' command found at Luke 22:19-20 to memorialise his day of death.
The anniversary of Jesus' death often co-insides with the Jewish Spring Passover date of Nisan the 14th day.
However, that first ' Good Friday ', so to speak, does Not always fall on a Friday.
Just as a wedding anniversary does Not fall on the same day of the week each year.
The Jews used a lunar calendar so the date is calculated by the timing of the moon as located in Jerusalem.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:48 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The scriptural reason would be found at Jesus' command found at Luke 22:19-20 to memorialise his day of death.
The anniversary of Jesus' death often co-insides with the Jewish Spring Passover date of Nisan the 14th day.
However, that first ' Good Friday ', so to speak, does Not always fall on a Friday.
Just as a wedding anniversary does Not fall on the same day of the week each year.
The Jews used a lunar calendar so the date is calculated by the timing of the moon as located in Jerusalem.
My translations seems to be missing this.

19And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:30 PM

64,133 posts, read 40,463,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
My translations seems to be missing this.

19And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity