Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 12:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Virgin View Post
Sir, the words "tares/goats" or "children of Satan" cannot be used except
in a "derogatory way".

It's the BIBLE that establishes this "derogatory" context...

In other words, the Biblical CONTEXT of those words is "derogatory".

----

BTW... anti-Christs will always oppose the True Gospel... nothing new there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 12:11 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Sir, the words "tares/goats" or "children of Satan" cannot be used except
in a "derogatory way".

It's the BIBLE that establishes this "derogatory" context...

In other words, the Biblical CONTEXT of those words is "derogatory".

BTW... anti-Christs will always oppose the True Gospel... nothing new there.
I was referring to words like 'fundie', 'bible-believer', 'evangelical' etc. They are often used in derogatory way and associated to weird, and untrue claims. For example today someone said that 'evangelicals' believe that if you don't read KJV version of the bible etc, then you are going to hell. Of course it's pure nonsense, but the goal of such statements is to make it look like Christians believe in weird things.

Here is the example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Evangelicals believe EVERYONE is roasted in HELL, unless they go to the same church, read the KJV, and HATE all other religions.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:39 PM

52 posts, read 31,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I was referring to words like 'fundie', 'bible-believer', 'evangelical' etc. They are often used in derogatory way and associated to weird, and untrue claims. For example today someone said that 'evangelicals' believe that if you don't read KJV version of the bible etc, then you are going to hell. Of course it's pure nonsense, but the goal of such statements is to make it look like Christians believe in weird things.

Here is the example:

As I said:
... anti-Christs will always oppose the True Gospel... nothing new there.
In fact, the vast majority of those claiming to be "Christian" are not real Christians
and, therefore, they will not be preaching the Gospel of the Bible.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
As I said:
... anti-Christs will always oppose the True Gospel... nothing new there.
In fact, the vast majority of those claiming to be "Christian" are not real Christians
and, therefore, they will not be preaching the Gospel of the Bible.
I agree the vast majority of Christians are sensible, mature people who are capable of separating the kernels of wheat from the mass of chaff that is the bible.

But that tiny sub-sect of Christianity, those fundie biblical literalists found mostly in pockets of the USA, are doomed to extinction.

Their impotent bellowing - often in RED - as they sink into irrelevance, makes me smile.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:43 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
The Bible is very clear that, within the "Kingdom of Heaven" (within the Christian Kingdom)
there are MANY (unsaved) "tares/goats"... and there are very FEW (saved) "wheat/sheep".

So, when you say "bible-believing" or "fundamentalist" or "evangelical"
MOST of the time you are talking about (unsaved) "tares/goats" within the "Kingdom"
and not talking about the FEW real Saints, the FEW (saved) "wheat/sheep".

How are those BIBLICAL WORDS?
Bible believer is a fundamentalist Christian buzz word. I don't have a spiritual stethoscope, but it is certainly a term used constantly and consistently by churches that wish to divide people into "them" and "us." Turn on your TV some Sunday morning and listen to the announcer intro or conclusion. xYZ Church is a group of Bible believers using the Word of God to change lives.

I always thought JESUS was the one changing lives, but, no, it is bible-believing churches.

Incidentally some on this thread accused me of not believing the Bible because my beliefs don't fit their dogma. What they've done is make their beliefs about the Bible more important than the facts one discovers using textual and contextual criticism. It means take a two millinium old series of heavily edited documents, drop them into the 21st century and analyze the verses based on English translations---all of which are chock full of translation problems. How is immersion in critical study "anti-Christian? Isn't it foolish to jump to the conclusion that you have the truth when no effort is made by the vast majority of "bible-believers" to study the idioms and the sometimes multiple meanings of words?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:09 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Bible believer is a fundamentalist Christian buzz word. I don't have a spiritual stethoscope, but it is certainly a term used constantly and consistently by churches that wish to divide people into "them" and "us." Turn on your TV some Sunday morning and listen to the announcer intro or conclusion. xYZ Church is a group of Bible believers using the Word of God to change lives.

I always thought JESUS was the one changing lives, but, no, it is bible-believing churches.

Incidentally some on this thread accused me of not believing the Bible because my beliefs don't fit their dogma. What they've done is make their beliefs about the Bible more important than the facts one discovers using textual and contextual criticism. It means take a two millinium old series of heavily edited documents, drop them into the 21st century and analyze the verses based on English translations---all of which are chock full of translation problems. How is immersion in critical study "anti-Christian? Isn't it foolish to jump to the conclusion that you have the truth when no effort is made by the vast majority of "bible-believers" to study the idioms and the sometimes multiple meanings of words?
Good post. How did it happen that the BIBLE became the focus?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is not the focus, it only explains what the focus is. I have never heard anyone claim Bible is the focus over Christ. I think Warden made it up.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
When fundamentalists claimed it to be something it isn't due to the unbelief in the one it testifies of. They call the bible the word of God.... The bible calls Jesus Christ the word of God.... They call the bible the truth......the bible says Jesus Christ is the truth.......... They say believe in the bible......the bible says believe on the son....They claim it should be taken literally.... Unless of cause it costs you something like cutting off limbs and gouging out your eye.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not the focus, it only explains what the focus is. I have never heard anyone claim Bible is the focus over Christ. I think Warden made it up.
No, I have seen/heard this outlook myself. No one would ever say that the Bible is the focus over Christ, and I don't think they get to that point to intentionally. But it's a warning sign that they are there when they can't have a discussion about the Christian faith without biblical references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When fundamentalists claimed it to be something it isn't due to the unbelief in the one it testifies of. They call the bible the word of God.... The bible calls Jesus Christ the word of God.... They call the bible the truth......the bible says Jesus Christ is the truth.......... They say believe in the bible......the bible says believe on the son....They claim it should be taken literally.... Unless of cause it costs you something like cutting off limbs and gouging out your eye.
That's the most mystifying thing to me. We all learned that The Word is not a literal word but a reference to Christ. How did The Word get to mean the writings themselves?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
No, I have seen/heard this outlook myself. No one would ever say that the Bible is the focus over Christ, and I don't think they get to that point to intentionally. But it's a warning sign that they are there when they can't have a discussion about the Christian faith without biblical references.
Hmmm....can you give me some examples of Christian teachings which cannot be found in the Bible?

You seem to agree that no one makes the Bible the focus over Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity