Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,800,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
A fundamentalist never believes in any kind of brother except a twin brother.
The "armor of God" gives me the ability to tell real brothers from the ones who mimic the words of the serpent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 AM

7,337 posts, read 6,961,580 times
To whom is your devotion ,
to the church ?
to the teacher?
to self ?
to one or more of the disciples?
or to Jesus .

(Timothy 2; 15 by the way was written about the old testament,
since the new testament had not yet been assembled.)
Paul should not refer to his own writing as "God breathed", it's not.
The only words that are God words are God's/Jesus' words , every thing else is conjecture and history.
Paul did not have the authority to establish policy , especially circumventing Jesus direct commands .

Old 01-14-2016, 10:43 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,401,363 times
Quote:
I rest my case. Here is another buzz word for you, "biblical isolator."

The shoe fits well, and you wear it like a golden calf around your neck.

A fundamentalist never believes in any kind of brother except a twin brother. All the rest of us are headed to hell.

“One of my pet peeves that drives me berserk is that the church loves to threaten disaster if you don’t pursue their agenda

Excerpt From: Camp, Michael. “Confessions of a Bible Thumper.” Cedar Forge Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.
This is very true Warden. I personally was involved within a group that was very strict in its doctrine. I left because I saw that I was in bondage, and just the fact that I saw that I was, was freedom to me. I called on the Pastor and told him I was leaving, he told me I was wrong to do so, I said has it ever occurred to you that you could be wrong too, his answer ...... Yes many times but God never is..... Meaning I am God to you.

Anyway I left I was told God would shake heaven and earth and whatever he had to do to bring me back into the fold. I had hooked up with a great bunch of believers and was given a tape called grace and faith, which at that time upon listening to it, was a huge blessing to me. Well, whenever any of the group I left saw me about town, what they saw in me was not a man who had walked away from God but a man evidently with the grace of God on my life, and they did not hold back in telling me that, not that I needed to know from them. Needless to say, one by one that group went the same way as me, i think one maybe a Buddhist now too. The pastor is getting on a bit now, but I think he's mellowed some. The overseer of the group, now he's a different story,I still have the utmost respect for him, even though the group itself was built upon his ministry.

So we do not have bail out of the faith , because there is life outside of bible fundamentalism where we can enjoy the freedom that is in Christ.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The "armor of God" gives me the ability to tell real brothers from the ones who mimic the words of the serpent.
That would be the Fundashield.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
A sentence full of buzz-speak. And topped off with the not-so-subtle implication that the people who disagree with you are talking like Satan. Nicely done!

Doesn't get any buzzier.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM

18,530 posts, read 9,219,839 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That would be the Fundashield.
Good insight on your part.

When I was still in fundamentalism, we often referred to the "Armor of God" and "Shield of Faith" as a defense against anything that threatened our beliefs (anything that threatened our beliefs was naturally from The Devil and not for perfectly rational reasons). But it often was just deliberate ignorance and obtuseness, aka the Fundashield.

I love the term "Fundashield", by the way. It's a very accurate term IMO. Maybe try submitting it to UrbanDictionary and see if it catches on.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:57 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,747,711 times
Quote:
I've been you. The armor you tout is that of bigotry. Your love is love of self. Your pride is that of idolatry.

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I know your heart better than you do, and God sent you to show me where I was headed and to remind me that the danger for all of us is that we can be sucked back into it when God in heaven becomes first, and God in people become second. The first is the realm of self righteousness "I AM GOD's REPRESENTATIVE ON EARTH idolaters who believe they speak for God. The second is the spirit of those seeking to serve God living in every human--even the worst of "sinners" because they recognize in all sinners their own sins.

I see myself in you. And it reminds me how much I am in need of grace and mercy.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,800,075 times
Quote:
The armor you tout is that of bigotry.

Your love is love of self.

Your pride is that of idolatry.

I know your heart better than you do
LOL. Whatever you say.

I'm glad you got it off your chest....or out of your belly, or whatever.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,747,711 times
Quote:
LOL. Whatever you say.

Yes that hard heart of yours saddens me almost as much as it does Jesus.

But God has decided to use technology to destroy false prophets and usher in destruction of ugly churches that spread lies. The Zman deserves credit for finding this story:

This age of information has informed it’s constituents that evangelicalism, as we know it, is no longer thriving, but is in fact dying (I’ve listed statistics else where to show this numerically, you can read those here and here). With the ability to share, and transfer information to anyone, anywhere, at any point in time, freely and without restriction, it’s exposed secrets in which the Church was formerly able to hide with ease.
It’s unmasked the lie of biblical inerrancy, deeply questioned Christianity’s historicity, and its won the war on homosexuality. As if this supposed war has not been enough to provoke outrage against the church, there’s the pervasive issue of hobby lobby, there’s “whistleblowers” reporting abuses by christian leadership, and there’s the unrelenting dehumanization of undocumented immigrants.

On an IPad I can't post the link, but it's easy to find the headline: The Internet Is Killing American Christianity.

Of course, Christianity doesn't reflect your beliefs. The word for that is Churchianity.

Your days of power are numbered---thank God.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Quote:
LOL. Whatever you say.

And you think you don't reveal your true self, your inner beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity