Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 06:48 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Don't you see that Warden is using your bible to prove how futile your question is?.
What!? Actually OPEN his eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 PM

88,875 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No one 'confines' their faith to the words in the Bible. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible to do for anyone who follows what it teaches. Faith is a part of what Christians are, and what they do, and the Bible is only one part of it. I don't walk around with a Bible looking for instruction for everyday events. I honor God with my actions (or at least try to), but I don't need to look everything up in the Bible in order to do to not do something. The Spirit guides us in out everyday lives. Follow it. Honor God with your actions.

The fact that you were not able to come up with a single example of a Christian teaching which is not already in the Bible shows the Bible contains more information than you thought.
Listen, I was having an honest conversation with you. I should have known that honesty is not your style. I don't understand the necessity for you to be snarky. There was no attempt to "come up" with anything or any intent to do so except in your mind. What you meant by your last sentence, I have no idea. You are looking for nothing but someone to argue with, Christian. It's not me. Find someone else to lay your snotty superiority on, Christian. You know what? God knows both our hearts, Christian.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,748,132 times
Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of Bible quotes. Why so much focus on the Bible? :roll eyes:

What do you call people who criticize others for doing something you do yourself?
SMART people, like Jesus, know when Scripture should be ignored. Stupid and dogmatic ones think it is all perfect. If you haven't the spirit of discernment, you choose to do a lot of things Jesus wouldn't.

Ya know that woman caught in adultery? If Jesus had followed the Bible, He would have picked up a rock and bashed her brains out.

The good Christians in Vienna followed the Bible's injunction about homosexuals and for years burned them between the white marble columns of the city square--until businessmen complained the screams of burning people were interrupting their commercial activity. Then Christian Venetians were more considerate--toward the businessmen---they beheaded homosexuals before burning their bodies. But the Venetians were "Bible believers."

So don't give us BS about you being a Bible believer. Every time following what the Bible says becomes culturally unacceptable "Bible believers" find a reason to change also---usually decades behind non-believers or those who have always seen Scripture allegorically. Racism? My grandfather was a "Bible believer" who could quote a dozen verses on why blacks and whites should be socially separate. Women in the pulpit? Plenty of them now, but in the mid-seventies I attended a Methodist church that was assigned a woman pastor. She was over at our house one night weeping because someone had cut a verse out of a bible and put it on the desk in her office. "Women should keep silent in the church." I occasionally attend a Methodist church now. The District Superintendent is a woman, and so is the Regional Bishop.

So don't give us crap about "some are bible believers and some aren't. Nobody is a bible believer. I'm a red letter guy because that is the only consistent message in Scripture.

Jesus knew Scripture was designed by men to put forth many of their own prejudices. That's why there are so many "But I say unto you's" and a dozen stories from Jesus about loving one's enemies, including the "homosexuals" of His day, the Samaritans. It's why He chose a Samaritan to aid a good Jew laying injured in a ditch. it's why He chose to heal a woman with an issue of blood who should have been stoned for even entering a village to see Him. It's why He cast demons from a Gentile into a herd of pigs.

No discernment of Scripture simply leaves a "Bible believer" as a tool of the Adversary, a fool, and sooner or later numbered with the goats.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,801,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Listen, I was having an honest conversation with you. I should have known that honesty is not your style. I don't understand the necessity for you to be snarky. There was no attempt to "come up" with anything or any intent to do so except in your mind. What you meant by your last sentence, I have no idea. You are looking for nothing but someone to argue with, Christian. It's not me. Find someone else to lay your snotty superiority on, Christian. You know what? God knows both our hearts, Christian.
There was nothing snarky in my post. I simply explained my view, and I have no idea why you got so offended. I asked you for the example only to demonstrate how difficult it is to come up with one. I can't think of one either, and I have never seen anyone else come up with one.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,801,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Stupid and dogmatic ones think it is all perfect.

So don't give us BS about you being a Bible believer.

So don't give us crap about "some are bible believers and some aren't.

No clue why you talk like that, but I'll repeat my view again:

No one 'confines' their faith to the words in the Bible. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible to do for anyone who follows what it teaches. Faith is a part of what Christians are, and what they do, and the Bible is only one part of it. I don't walk around with a Bible looking for instruction for everyday events. I honor God with my actions (or at least try to), but I don't need to look everything up in the Bible in order to do to not do something. The Spirit guides us in out everyday lives. Follow it. Honor God with your actions.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-11-2016 at 07:47 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 07:40 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
Quote:
SMART people, like Jesus, know when Scripture should be ignored. Stupid and dogmatic ones think it is all perfect. If you haven't the spirit of discernment, you choose to do a lot of things Jesus wouldn't.

Ya know that woman caught in adultery? If Jesus had followed the Bible, He would have picked up a rock and bashed her brains out.

The good Christians in Vienna followed the Bible's injunction about homosexuals and for years burned them between the white marble columns of the city square--until businessmen complained the screams of burning people were interrupting their commercial activity. Then Christian Venetians were more considerate--toward the businessmen---they beheaded homosexuals before burning their bodies. But the Venetians were "Bible believers."

So don't give us BS about you being a Bible believer. Every time following what the Bible says becomes culturally unacceptable "Bible believers" find a reason to change also---usually decades behind non-believers or those who have always seen Scripture allegorically. Racism? My grandfather was a "Bible believer" who could quote a dozen verses on why blacks and whites should be socially separate. Women in the pulpit? Plenty of them now, but in the mid-seventies I attended a Methodist church that was assigned a woman pastor. She was over at our house one night weeping because someone had cut a verse out of a bible and put it on the desk in her office. "Women should keep silent in the church." I occasionally attend a Methodist church now. The District Superintendent is a woman, and so is the Regional Bishop.

So don't give us crap about "some are bible believers and some aren't. Nobody is a bible believer. I'm a red letter guy because that is the only consistent message in Scripture.

Jesus knew Scripture was designed by men to put forth many of their own prejudices. That's why there are so many "But I say unto you's" and a dozen stories from Jesus about loving one's enemies, including the "homosexuals" of His day, the Samaritans. It's why He chose a Samaritan to aid a good Jew laying injured in a ditch. it's why He chose to heal a woman with an issue of blood who should have been stoned for even entering a village to see Him. It's why He cast demons from a Gentile into a herd of pigs.

No discernment of Scripture simply leaves a "Bible believer" as a tool of the Adversary, a fool, and sooner or later numbered with the goats.
The voice of the Spirit tearing down the temple of fundamentalism brick by brick.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,748,132 times
Quote:

No clue why you talk like that, but I'll repeat my view again:

Do you or do you not hold Scripture to be the infallible and inerrant Word of God? Not a long diatribe, a simply "Yes, I do," or "No, I do not" will suffice. Further, it will be very lucid, something that is not normal in most your posts.

So you won't claim I dodge the question, I hold Scripture to be "inspired" in the same sense as a good sermon or a terrific hymn. It is the witness of people about what they believed about God. So, no, it is neither infallible nor inerrant as fundamentalists view it.

Your turn.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,286,629 times
Quote:
Do you or do you not hold Scripture to be the infallible and inerrant Word of God? Not a long diatribe, a simply "Yes, I do," or "No, I do not" will suffice. Further, it will be very lucid, something that is not normal in most your posts.

So you won't claim I dodge the question, I hold Scripture to be "inspired" in the same sense as a good sermon or a terrific hymn. It is the witness of people about what they believed about God. So, no, it is neither infallible nor inerrant as fundamentalists view it.

Your turn.
I'm interested in seeing how he'll duck, dodge or deflect this time.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 AM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The ONLY Spirit that matters is God and His Holy Spirit is agape love. It is the Spirit that Jesus brought to His human consciousness and which has returned as the Comforter sent in His name after His death. There is no confusion or ambiguity about what the Spirit IS or what it embodies. See: 1 Cor 13; the Sermon on the Mount, and Galatians 5 for examples of its characteristics. ANYTHING, whether in the "precepts and doctrines of men" or the Bible or anywhere else, that CONTRADICTS or is NOT compatible with agape love is NOT of God or Jesus.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The voice of the Spirit tearing down the temple of fundamentalism brick by brick.
Amen! Amen! Warden is an awesome preacher.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:53 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
Quote:

You seem to agree that no one makes the Bible the focus over Christ.
No, all bible fundamentalists without fail have their focus on the bible over Christ. It is more important to you to think you have all the right beliefs about it in order, over pursuing the greatest thing it teaches which is Christ is in you. You also believe the kingdom is among us rather than in us, so where do you seek it among us, in the bible You believe all things are discovered through the bible only and nothing can be discovered in Christ. Your litmus test is not whether it resonates with Christ in you but whether it resonates from your biases and prejudices you have construed from bible. Jesus Christ would say to you today that you search the bible because you think eternal life is in believing it is inerrant and infallible, but I would have you believe on me the one it testifies of and be open and learn of me, for I am in the very place you do not believe I am in...........in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity