Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 01:06 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Scriptures do not replace the Holy Spirit and the writers of the Bible never said or implied that such was the case. Your attitude regarding the Scriptures is a matter between you and God. The apostles and those associated with them who wrote the New Testament letters both spoke and wrote the word of God. And who should be believed? Them . . . or you? I side with the men whom God chose to communicate His word. And that's not you. Your opinion can be disregarded for what it is. It's not the topic of this thread anyway.
If Jesus had promised a book for a guide, that would be how it worked. He did not. He promised the Spirit for our guide to be with us forever. I choose to believe him and not the men who have their own programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 01:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
So when I say that I am going to put my trust in Christ, I mean trusting him to help me to turn from my sin, which leads to hell.

My faith is still very week to be perfectly honest.
As long as you concentrate on your sin, it will be a struggle. Jesus asks us to be PRO-active. to LOVE and learning that love which He has given us will do what is necessary for community with Him and our fellow men.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:16 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
I side with the men whom God chose to communicate His word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, if only that were true...if only things were not messed with, Mike.
And if only there were tape recorders and nothing forgotten or left out innocently
by the writers of the Gospels.

If anyone ever thinks the Bible has not been messed with (altered, changed, edited, things deleted)
by men in power...
just go to the King James Version...
Psalm 46....count down 46 words from the top...then count up 46 words from the bottom.
See how King James paid homage to William Shakespear who was 46 at the time of the writing.

Then tell me if you did it...what do you say now? Quite the eye opener.
And if you don't want to do that simple thing...please let us know why you won't.
Thank you.
While some Bible translations are better than others, there is wide agreement among New Testament textual scholars, and has been for a long time, that our present day New Testament is extremely faithful to the original New Testament autographs. The original writings of the New Testament can and have been mostly recovered from the large number of extant New Testament manuscript copies. And I have already posted many of the comments of these textual scholars in other threads, such as in post #9 of the thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-literary.html, to which you promptly replied in post #11, ''Do we REALLY have to scroll thru these long posts again?
It's becoming excessive on many threads.
To then read a one liner?

Please...enough. Thank you.''

Miss Hepburn, if you will, please read it. I'll not discuss it further here as it is off topic.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-01-2016 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Originally left out the word 'it' in the very last sentence.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
The bad news is that we all are sinners who have been condemned by God, and there is nothing we can do to change that fact by our own efforts.
It does not take much effort to overcome this nonsense.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
God doesn't condemn anyone.
It is mankind within the boundaries of his religion that condemns in the name of God.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:58 PM

10 posts, read 8,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As long as you concentrate on your sin, it will be a struggle. Jesus asks us to be PRO-active. to LOVE and learning that love which He has given us will do what is necessary for community with Him and our fellow men.
yes, I can learn to love.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
Yes, you may.

I struggle with sin. I have tried to obtain salvation by obeying the Ten Commandments. But I couldn't. The Ten Commandments seem so simple.

I don't murder people. I don't have sex with other people's wives. I love my parents. I don't bow down to anything. So it seems so simple.

But according to the new Testament, it's so much more then just that. Being angry with a brother and/or holding grudges against people is murder. Lusting (which is a sin that I struggle with so strongly) is adultery; but it is also a form of idolatry. James said that friendship with this world is also adultery. It makes me an enemy of God. Being greedy is also idolatry. There is just so much that I am guilty of.

I have accepted Christ as my Lord 3 years ago. But I continued to sin. I just never understood what it means to trust in him.

But maybe if I really gave him my sin problems, he may take my sin from me.

According to the gospels, just because I have called him Lord, doesn't mean that I will enter his kingdom. Jesus said that not everybody who calls him Lord will enter his kingdom. This scares me a lot. Sin will still lead to death.

In Romans, Paul wrote to the believers and he tells them that if they continue to sin, they will face God's wrath. This is scary. And I don't know how to stop sinning. Stop sinning involves not just our behavior, but our thoughts as well.

So when I say that I am going to put my trust in Christ, I mean trusting him to help me to turn from my sin, which leads to hell.

My faith is still very week to be perfectly honest.
What is scary is decision theology that always points at one letter .... "I" and how "I" am going to rely on myself.

St. Paul struggled with sin:
"For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
What a wretched man I am!"
"Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?
yet Paul is not scared, why?
A: Because he focus' on what Christ did for him

Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

Old 01-01-2016, 06:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, if only that were true...if only things were not messed with, Mike.
And if only there were tape recorders and nothing forgotten or left out innocently
by the writers of the Gospels.

If anyone ever thinks the Bible has not been messed with (altered, changed, edited, things deleted)
by men in power...
just go to the King James Version...
Psalm 46....count down 46 words from the top...then count up 46 words from the bottom.
See how King James paid homage to William Shakespear who was 46 at the time of the writing.

Then tell me if you did it...what do you say now? Quite the eye opener.
And if you don't want to do that simple thing...please let us know why you won't.
Thank you.
I hope Mike states why not believe the counting excuse with something like .... whoever thought that one up also plays records backwards for subliminal messages too.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If Jesus had promised a book for a guide, that would be how it worked. He did not. He promised the Spirit for our guide to be with us forever. I choose to believe him and not the men who have their own programs.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Condemnation is removed when a person receives Christ as Savior. But all men are born under condemnation. That is why salvation is necessary and why Jesus came into the world.
That's Not Why Jesus said he was sent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity