Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 10:35 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,133,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
Yes, you may.

I struggle with sin. I have tried to obtain salvation by obeying the Ten Commandments. But I couldn't. The Ten Commandments seem so simple.

I don't murder people. I don't have sex with other people's wives. I love my parents. I don't bow down to anything. So it seems so simple.

But according to the new Testament, it's so much more then just that. Being angry with a brother and/or holding grudges against people is murder. Lusting (which is a sin that I struggle with so strongly) is adultery; but it is also a form of idolatry. James said that friendship with this world is also adultery. It makes me an enemy of God. Being greedy is also idolatry. There is just so much that I am guilty of.

I have accepted Christ as my Lord 3 years ago. But I continued to sin. I just never understood what it means to trust in him.

But maybe if I really gave him my sin problems, he may take my sin from me.

According to the gospels, just because I have called him Lord, doesn't mean that I will enter his kingdom. Jesus said that not everybody who calls him Lord will enter his kingdom. This scares me a lot. Sin will still lead to death.

In Romans, Paul wrote to the believers and he tells them that if they continue to sin, they will face God's wrath. This is scary. And I don't know how to stop sinning. Stop sinning involves not just our behavior, but our thoughts as well.

So when I say that I am going to put my trust in Christ, I mean trusting him to help me to turn from my sin, which leads to hell.

My faith is still very week to be perfectly honest.
To turn from your sins you must first understand what true repentance is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
A ransom is paid to whomever is holding a person hostage. You believe that God condemned people, therefore needed to have Jesus pay a ransom to Godself in order to free humanity from... God. God was/is holding people hostage to condemnation unless they believe [your teachings] about God.

If you could just step back for a moment and see that what you preach is convoluted and self-contradictory. It portrays God in such a way that it holds people hostage to being afraid of the God you tell them they should love and trust.
So why did Jesus say he was sent?...

Old 01-10-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
God had a question for such convolution as yours:
"O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified.

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.”

Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”...

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for usfor it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.
stop purposefully maligning the truth ... Jesus paid the ransom in order to free humanity from the curse of the law
Paul actually asked that question....

Old 01-10-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
.... Jesus paid the ransom in order to free humanity from the curse of the law
So, what is the curse of the Law?...

Old 01-10-2016, 10:52 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,441,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So why did Jesus say he was sent?...
Jesus said he was sent to preach the "kingdom"/reign of God, as I recall. Not to pay a ransom to God for us.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus' kingdom has been postponed until His second advent as has been shown in post #70 of the following thread. - https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...istianity.html
So you have nothing?...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe He said that while as a man - pre Calvary.

BIG difference.
He didn't even say it afterwards....If he hands the Kingdom/Reign back to G-d, then how can he be G-d?...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Jesus never said that He wasn't God. He had always existed as God. But from the moment of His entry into the human race He became the God-man. Fully God and fully human. Theologically, this is referred to as the hypostatic union of Jesus. In the Person of Jesus Christ there are two natures; His divine nature as God, and His human nature. There is no mixture or bleeding over of His divine attributes into His human nature, or of His human attributes into His divine nature. Therefore His humanity is distinct from His deity.

This is why Jesus could say from the standpoint of His deity, ''Before Abraham was, I am'' (John 8:58). His humanity didn't exist eternally, but His deity did.

But from the standpoint of His humanity He could say, ''I thirst'' (19:28). Deity can't thirst, but as a man Jesus could be hungry, thirsty, tired,etc...

From the moment of His incarnation Jesus was, and eternally will be the unique person of the universe - the God-man.
How many god-men were there in the history of man?...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:30 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,965,587 times
Quote:
I've already shown that the kingdom has been postponed. Your denials are meaningless.

I'm not about to waste my time on you and your continual childish, immature contentiousness. You need to grow up and stop being such a jerk. We're done.
He's a joke, leave him alone and he'll quit proselytizing in the Christianity section. Children get bored easily

Old 01-10-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
He's a joke, leave him alone and he'll quit proselytizing in the Christianity section. Children get bored easily
Probably why no one sees you here often...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity