Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 12:03 PM

7,619 posts, read 6,136,061 times

Advertisements

From what I can see, many brands of Christianity are based entirely on hate....mainly, hate of the self, a feeling of unworthiness that requires ecclesiastical and divine intervention.

Interesting list of Christian Hatred right here. From a former Baptist Preacher. Amen !

An Independent Baptist Hate List | The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser

According to this list, some evangelicals even preach against self-esteem. Which could help explain the absence of it in many fundy circles. But from my observation, it is not limited just to independent Baptists or Evangelical/Fundies all together.....the Christian dogma is based on self-worthlessness, which leads to self loathing. Without this, the philosophy would have nothing to keep people from coming back again and again.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM

45,863 posts, read 27,492,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Your deafening silence, DRob, indicates that your answer is, no, you either cannot or do not want to understand.

Look, I know it's very important to some of you to think that those who do not bow to your beliefs about God are in rebellion against God, that we HATE God.

A simple answer will suffice ... do you understand that we do not equate your beliefs about God to God and therefore, we are not "putting hate on God" because we do not believe that God created those hateful beliefs, people did?
You are making way to much of this.

Simply put... my question is about which is worse... the behavior of Christians, or the doctrine itself.

If you want to change the doctrine and the events, I am not dealing with it. Someone responded with the flood for a reason - because it is an event which is part of the doctrine.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:08 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,451,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are making way to much of this.
Are you unable to answer the question? Are you afraid to answer the question? What prevents you from a simple acknowledgment that people seeing some of your beliefs as hateful, does not equate to people "putting hate on God", as you said?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:38 PM

45,863 posts, read 27,492,412 times
Quote:
Are you unable to answer the question? Are you afraid to answer the question? What prevents you from a simple acknowledgment that people seeing some of your beliefs as hateful, does not equate to people "putting hate on God", as you said?
Seems like if I don't reply one way or the other, you choke on the response.

I have explained myself already... instances such as the flood are part of general Christianity and is not something I made up. The flood is something God chose to bring forth. My faith had nothing to do with it. The fact that I believe it took place AND the fact that you do not believe it took place - has nothing to do with its place in general Christian doctrine.

I will return you to your regularly scheduled programming of deafening silence. Enjoy.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,451,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Seems like if I don't reply one way or the other, you choke on the response.

I have explained myself already... instances such as the flood are part of general Christianity and is not something I made up. The flood is something God chose to bring forth. My faith had nothing to do with it. The fact that I believe it took place AND the fact that you do not believe it took place - has nothing to do with its place in general Christian doctrine.

I will return you to your regularly scheduled programming of deafening silence. Enjoy.

Evangelical Christian: If you don't believe that Jesus is your savior, God will condemn you to an eternity of torment, with no hope of escape.

Thinking Person: That's a hateful belief about God, and I do not believe God is hateful.

Evangelical Christian: You believe God is hateful!!

Old 01-18-2016, 12:56 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,829,972 times
I guess it is fair to say it's the word of God they can't stand, and by association they dislike anyone who believes it.

The "you are hateful / your beliefs are hateful" line is just an old liberal 'attack-the-messenger' trick.

Luckily such comments are strictly against the rules in this forum, so surely no one would say such thing.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-18-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,964,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess it is fair to say it's the word of God they can't stand, and by association they dislike anyone who believes it.

The "you are hateful" line is just an old liberal 'attack-the-messenger' trick.
Or, more likely, facepalm, shake one's head and say

Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM

18,540 posts, read 9,233,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
From what I can see, many brands of Christianity are based entirely on hate....mainly, hate of the self, a feeling of unworthiness that requires ecclesiastical and divine intervention.

Interesting list of Christian Hatred right here. From a former Baptist Preacher. Amen !

An Independent Baptist Hate List | The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser

According to this list, some evangelicals even preach against self-esteem. Which could help explain the absence of it in many fundy circles. But from my observation, it is not limited just to independent Baptists or Evangelical/Fundies all together.....the Christian dogma is based on self-worthlessness, which leads to self loathing. Without this, the philosophy would have nothing to keep people from coming back again and again.
Based on my experience in fundamentalist Christianity, you are exactly correct.

It's essentially "creating a problem and then offering the exclusive solution."

Teach people that life is worthless without eternity. Teach people that they are worthless and unworthy without "salvation" from God. Then you own them for life. If you can teach children these things, when they are too young to defend themselves, even better.

And not only is this stuff legal, it's constitutionally protected.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:16 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
Evangelical Christian: If you don't believe that Jesus is your savior, God will condemn you to an eternity of torment, with no hope of escape.

Thinking Person: That's a hateful belief about God, and I do not believe God is hateful.

Evangelical Christian: You believe God is hateful!!

That's it in a nutshell, reject my beliefs you reject God.

Jesus Christ is the savior from the hateful belief of salvation from eternal hell. Not one fundie will dispute this(salvation from eternal hell) and the reason they do not believe they are saved from a life to of missing the mark rather than eternal hell is that they are so sin conscious it simply is to hard to believe it, not realizing it's being sin conscious rather than God conscious that is the cause of their failure.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,755,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

The "you are hateful" line is just an old liberal 'attack-the-messenger' trick.
Like the "God said it" justification by fundamentalists who wish to denigrate some people in hopes that their own bigotry is overlooked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.