Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:23 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's only 1 minute and 24 seconds. I would suggest giving it a watch.

I would agree if this kind of rhetoric was confined to a few, fringe churches but its widespread among evangelicalism.
I would suggest you should educate yourself on what exactly an "evangelical" is, and that you should also perhaps try to understand the position of said evangelicals.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The biblical definition of "Church" is that of the local group of believers worshiping, as well as the larger church worldwide comprised of all who worship Jesus.

So I think the question might be in regards to what Christian churches in general teach that are "hateful".
Well, then. That would include Westboro Baptist and all the other churches that preach gays should be exterminated. Or that they're going to burn in hell. It doesn't get more hateful than a pastor telling a group local believers that homosexuals are headed for hell/should be eliminated/need to quit being gay because ol' Fred (or various whack-jobs in Phoenix who have the title "Pastor") doesn't like 'em.

Goodness knows what Kim Davis heard in church that made her be hateful towards gay citizens applying for a marriage license. "On God's authority!!" The hate was oozing from her pores when she came out with that gem.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:35 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,157,256 times
I am not getting much of a list here.

Is the gay issue the only "hateful" belief?

Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, then. That would include Westboro Baptist and all the other churches that preach gays should be exterminated. It doesn't get more hateful than a pastor telling a group local believers that homosexuals should be eliminated.
Most Christians do not consider those inbreeds to be Christian. That includes Evangelicals and others.

The westboro freaks have some very unorthodox beliefs regarding God and the church.
Quote:
Goodness knows what Kim Davis heard in church that made her be hateful towards gay citizens applying for a marriage license. "On God's authority!!" The hate was oozing from her pores when she came out with that gem.
I've never heard Kim Davis state that she hated gay people. Can you provide a quote of such?

Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:
I haven't watched it, to be honest. But I'm fully aware that there are a lot of very bad things that are spewed forth by those claiming to be Christians. But how do you claim to know the emotional state of that man...assuming he is even a Christian?

There are horrible things said daily on this board about Christians, our motivations, our beliefs, etc. Yet, I'm unable to determine the mental and emotional state that any of the posters are in.
He thinks he is Christian, and so do you. I would not attempt to disabuse either of you of your belief.

His Church does not pay property taxes either.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
He thinks he is Christian, and so do you. I would not attempt to disabuse either of you of your belief.

His Church does not pay property taxes either.
Then perhaps you and others ought to realize that what one nut job states is not indicative of the beliefs of all.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:

I've never heard Kim Davis state that she hated gay people. Can you provide a quote of such?
I've never stated she did.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:48 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I need a list. What are they? Please be as specific as you can.
Fundamentalist churches are fond of "one man, one woman," but don't see it as hateful towards gays who are not attracted to the same sex. They don't consider it hateful to compare gays to pedophiles or acts of bestiality.

But if I were to compare you to the Venetians burning homosexuals among their marbled pillars, you would consider that hateful.

Anything that chains other people to being "Christian" for whom they love or prevents them from acting in MUTUAL love for the other---is hateful AND arrogant.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 01-15-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 01:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am not getting much of a list here.

Is the gay issue the only "hateful" belief?
1 - Original sin.

2 - Only by accepting Christ can someone be "saved."

3 - Everyone born is deserving of hell.

4 -Atheists hate god.

5 - Heaven is reserved for (the right kind of) Christians.

6- God was justified in tormenting Abraham, slaughtering babies and wiping out life on the planet because he didn't like what he himself created.

7 - Evolution is wrong.

That'll do for starters.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, then. That would include Westboro Baptist and all the other churches that preach gays should be exterminated. Or that they're going to burn in hell. It doesn't get more hateful than a pastor telling a group local believers that homosexuals are headed for hell/should be eliminated/need to quit being gay because ol' Fred (or various whack-jobs in Phoenix who have the title "Pastor") doesn't like 'em.

I propose we return (as we are beginning to do) to worshipping as 1st century Christians did---in the homes of people with unpaid leaders who make their living as tent makers or such. We'd be a lot closer to understanding the Bible rightly, and we would remove the stain of lust for power that dominates so much of American Christianity. It could rightly be called Christianity by all rather than identified as Churchianity by some of us.

The Barna Group survey of 2,008 house churches looked at several aspects of the growing "house church" trend in the United States. For example, two-thirds of house church attenders were "completely satisfied" with the leadership of their church, compared to only half of those attending a conventional church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity