Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I read what the "evangelicals" are and that the "fundamentalists" are "evangelicals" but more, I don't remember what word they used but hard core when it comes to judging others wanting to use the Old Testament for punishment of certain segments of the population. That religious liberty conference had 1700 registered, some politicians that we all know and that I detest.
Instead of reading about what different people groups are and judging them that way, why not ask us? Has that thought occurred to you?
Quote:

But, he has a congregation of I think it was 300. Was asked to speak at the Religious Liberty Conference of 1700 registered attendees. It isn't like he escaped that day from a mental institution and took over the conference although, I think the mental institution might be where he belongs. In my opinion, he was inciting others and that is a major issue.
And the Occupy Wall Street movement had how many? How many people participated in riots in Baltimore and Ferguson, MO? History has shown us time and again that it's not all that difficult to get large numbers of people angered at stupid stuff. The fact that 300 people or 1700 people turn out to listen to them no more legitimizes it than the fact that a lot of people turn out for any other movement. All that it proves is that there are a number of people angry, or that there are a lot of people willing to go along with a crowd.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:12 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,424,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Only one good response. Everything else is about gays. I expected more...
Why do you need more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say the primary thing is the obsession with homosexuality and the negative emotions many Christians bring to the debate. Many Christians have a deep hatred towards homosexuals, much of it stemming from disgust. I can understand opposition to gay marriage if coming at it from a religious angle, but why do Christians oppose the following?

-Anti-bullying programs/suicide prevention
-Employment and housing protections for LGBT people
-LGBT adoption
-LGBT people being allowed to serve in the military
-Businesses that support LGBT rights i.e. Home Depot, Starbucks, ESPN
-Protections for LGBT people in the marketplace
-Regulations on reparative therapy that has proven to be harmful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Fundamentalist churches are fond of "one man, one woman," but don't see it as hateful towards gays who are not attracted to the same sex. They don't consider it hateful to compare gays to pedophiles or acts of bestiality.

But if I were to compare you to the Venetians burning homosexuals among their marbled pillars, you would consider that hateful.

Anything that chains other people to being "Christian" for whom they love or prevents them from acting in MUTUAL love for the other---is hateful AND arrogant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
1 - Original sin.

2 - Only by accepting Christ can someone be "saved."

3 - Everyone born is deserving of hell.

4 -Atheists hate god.

5 - Heaven is reserved for (the right kind of) Christians.

6- God was justified in tormenting Abraham, slaughtering babies and wiping out life on the planet because he didn't like what he himself created.

7 - Evolution is wrong.

That'll do for starters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Hateful Beliefs of the Church?

Anything that consists of throwing stones at others.

What if I told you Jesus came to abolish religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Add the idea that there uis some kind of innate spiritual differencew between men and women that precludes leadership positions for women that includes leadership of men.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,945,607 times
Well, there is all that stuff between the talking snake and the talking donkey that is, well, not exactly nice stuff, is it? But hey, it's the bible. Stuff happens.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:33 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,838,924 times
Any preacher that gets up and says America is more evil than communist China, North Korea, the former Soviet Union, or even Nazi Germany because of tolerance of homosexuality has their priorities in the wrong place and needs to do some self-reflection, to see if their views really line up with scripture.

Say what you want about the Bible, whether you believe its literal or figurative, inerrant or not, but the book is nowhere near as obsessed with homosexuality as American Christians are. It's only discussed in a few verses, in the Old Testament being banned in Leviticus and by Paul in the New Testament. Nothing in the book paints the picture of it that evangelicals in the U.S. are painting today.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:17 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,420,357 times
It's a wide brush that paints over everything, masking the truth.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM

18,516 posts, read 9,199,898 times
The church* teaches plenty of self-hatred. Which may very well be the root cause of hateful beliefs toward others.

*the conservative part of it

Old 01-16-2016, 04:00 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The church* teaches plenty of self-hatred. Which may very well be the root cause of hateful beliefs toward others.

Freaky, you have just nailed it. I know you don't believe in God and all that good stuff, but how we see others is generally based on how we see ourselves and the God we believe in.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Freaky, you have just nailed it. I know you don't believe in God and all that good stuff, but how we see others is generally based on how we see ourselves and the God we believe in.
Your truthinesses* are inescapable to those who manage life without a fundashield.

Too soon...

*Colbert can TRY to sue me! I double-dog dare him.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:51 PM

26,028 posts, read 22,225,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Instead of reading about what different people groups are and judging them that way, why not ask us? Has that thought occurred to you?

And the Occupy Wall Street movement had how many? How many people participated in riots in Baltimore and Ferguson, MO? History has shown us time and again that it's not all that difficult to get large numbers of people angered at stupid stuff. The fact that 300 people or 1700 people turn out to listen to them no more legitimizes it than the fact that a lot of people turn out for any other movement. All that it proves is that there are a number of people angry, or that there are a lot of people willing to go along with a crowd.
Are you saying that they post lies on their websites? If that is the case, I don't want to talk with them either. Lots of thoughts have occurred to me about these people. I know what these people are but wanted to put a name on their "denomination". I am guessing these are the "fundamentalists".

The ones I have known that went off the deep end with religion generally had a history of sin. We aren't talking minor stuff but consumed by their sin. They find Jesus, learn about Hell and suddenly they trade their consumed by sin to consumed by religion. This is a good description of Kim Davis. I mean, read the history of this woman. I am one that believes we all will stand in judgment for our sins and that there is no get out of Hell free cards available through faith and that "works" play a fundamental role in who makes the cut and who doesn't.

I have most likely met and talked with more people than anyone else in this thread because of my jobs and travel. The religion I am speaking of condemns in a threatening way anyone that doesn't agree with them. They have a desperation about it that is scary.

Know that I would never be seen with that minister who is talking about killing gays and smearing cow manure on his body while outside the church where an SSM was taking place. Any person that was at that conference enabled the behavior of the speakers.

I get the idea that you think maybe some that were at the conference or in this loon minister's church don't agree with the ideas they post and speak? Well, I just have no use for enabler, people without a backbone that can't stand up for what they believe really have no value to me. Their faith in God should enable them to stand up for what is right.

I also know we have a lot of people in the closet when it comes to these hateful beliefs.

Christian faiths have went to extremes on both ends of the spectrum. Even 40 years ago, they were becoming more of a social club than having anything to do with God. When Christians left God behind, I left them behind.

You know, when the gays were posting how they were hated by some of the Christians, I did not believe that. I apologize for that. I just had no idea that these "fundamental" Christians advocated for what they do. Perhaps concentrating on the sins of others keeps them from concentrating on their own demons?

Old 01-16-2016, 04:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Only one good response. Everything else is about gays. I expected more...
One answer in 50 posts is actually pretty good considering the posters involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity