Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 05:25 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Actually, "truth" is frequently an opinion if the believed truth cannot be verified by a reliable, unbiased, outside source.

Three people witnessing a car accident can all tell you completely different things, and all of them are telling you the truth.

Parents and their adult children frequently recall very different memories of events from the kids upbringing. Both are telling the truth as they remember it.

If you asked my ex husband what lead to the end of our marriage, and then you asked me the same question, I am sure you would get two very different answers. But we're both telling the truth.

You are confusing truth with fact.

There is no verifiable, reliable, unbiased source that can prove the miraculous claims of the bible (not people and places, mind you) but FACTUAL PROOF that there was a Garden and a serpent (not satan, btw), that the man Jesus raised the dead, then came back from the dead himself. You cannot claim it to be truth for other people because it cannot be proven as fact. It is the truth for you because you accept it with faith, possibly because of personal revelation, but you cannot tell other people what their truth is supposed to be unless you can back it up with fact.
Your response made me think of Pilates reply when Jesus said He came to reveal the truth.

John 18v37/38 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

Just like Pilate you seem to be in the dark about truth. Pilate knew Jesus to be innocent but yet he did not believe He was the truth. Truth is fact, and the only One who has the perfect knowledge of truth is God. Why? Because He knows everything that He created Himself perfectly. So our view as creatures is always limited to what we can understand or see, as in your example of different witnesses to an accident having different stories. They don't each own the truth, there was still just one accident and the facts of what happened remain the same, but each have their own little puzzle piece from their point of view.

The heart of the problem, is again, the problem of the heart. Ever since the fall our hearts have become biased against spiritual truth, incapable to judge righteously and discern right from wrong as God judges. And our minds are similarly darkened.
Only when we believe in Jesus Christ and receive the Holy Spirit by Gods grace, then our eyes are opened to spiritual truth, before that we are just in utter darkness with no idea where to go.

1 Corinthians 2v12/14 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I dont blame you for thinking what I say is foolish, but there is objective reality, only we are tiny little human beings who are limited in our understanding, including myself. But I do know that God is not a liar, and God provided us with His Word so we might know the truth as much as He reveals to us. Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

And you know truth is the only thing that can truly free us from slavery to lies, because we are bound to serve somebody. It may be the devil, or it may be the Lord, but you gotta serve somebody. But the service of the Lord is a million times better than serving satan. If you havent already, my advice would be abandon your service to satan and join the Lords army today. Its a much better and much safer place to be , sign up is free. The only requirement to join is faith in Jesus Christ. If you pray and ask Jesus Christ to forgive your sins and show you the truth, I am convinced you will know the truth about the claims of the Bible, including Genesis. And unlike satan who will spit his slaves out in a heartbeat, He takes good care of His soldiers!

John 8v31/32 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I homeschool, so no.

Slaves dont consent. i do.

I did not say it was only religious and back it with the bible. In fact i said religious, historical and cultural reasons. I then said Dominate/Submissive in one of my replies (NOT as a reason though) and someone took it from there.
So I see you are UNFAMILIAR with the Stockholm Syndrome?

Stock·holm syn·drome
noun
feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

Causes & symptoms

Stockholm syndrome does not affect all hostages (or persons in comparable situations); in fact, a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) study of over 1200 hostage-taking incidents found that 92% of the hostages did not develop Stockholm syndrome.
FBI researchers then interviewed flight attendants who had been taken hostage during airplane hijackings, and concluded that three factors are necessary for the syndrome to develop:
The crisis situation lasts for several days or longer.
The hostage takers remain in contact with the hostages; that is, the hostages are not placed in a separate room.
The hostage takers show some kindness toward the hostages or at least refrain from harming them. Hostages abused by captors typically feel anger toward them and do not usually develop the syndrome.

In addition, people who often feel helpless in other stressful life situations or are willing to do anything in order to survive seem to be more susceptible to developing Stockholm syndrome if they are taken hostage.

People with Stockholm syndrome report the same symptoms as those diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): insomnia, nightmares, general irritability, difficulty concentrating, being easily startled, feelings of unreality or confusion, inability to enjoy previously pleasurable experiences, increased distrust of others, and flashbacks.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:52 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,858,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So I see you are UNFAMILIAR with the Stockholm Syndrome?

Stock·holm syn·drome
noun
feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

Causes & symptoms

Stockholm syndrome does not affect all hostages (or persons in comparable situations); in fact, a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) study of over 1200 hostage-taking incidents found that 92% of the hostages did not develop Stockholm syndrome.
FBI researchers then interviewed flight attendants who had been taken hostage during airplane hijackings, and concluded that three factors are necessary for the syndrome to develop:
The crisis situation lasts for several days or longer.
The hostage takers remain in contact with the hostages; that is, the hostages are not placed in a separate room.
The hostage takers show some kindness toward the hostages or at least refrain from harming them. Hostages abused by captors typically feel anger toward them and do not usually develop the syndrome.

In addition, people who often feel helpless in other stressful life situations or are willing to do anything in order to survive seem to be more susceptible to developing Stockholm syndrome if they are taken hostage.

People with Stockholm syndrome report the same symptoms as those diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): insomnia, nightmares, general irritability, difficulty concentrating, being easily startled, feelings of unreality or confusion, inability to enjoy previously pleasurable experiences, increased distrust of others, and flashbacks.
Youre really stretching for something arent you?

I consent to the way I live. I want it. i like it. Im happy. A switch could flip tomorrow and Id be fine. There are people who do NOT consent in ANY way, shape or form, and are put in dangerous positions. They dont ASK to be in the situations they are in.

Someone being abused doesnt ask for it
Someone being raped doesnt ask for it
Someone being kidnapped doesnt ask for it
Someone being a slave doesnt ask for it

Someone in a relationship where they are under their husbands authority ASKS for it.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,858,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is not unusual women protect their abusers, like you do. Even in master/slave relationships.
Im not in a master/slave relationship but thanks. Im also not protecting my abuser since im not abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Consent means to ALLOW something with little or no resistance. It is probable one "consents" to abuse out of FEAR it could be worse, like the beatings could result in DEATH so one might accept their position because 1) God's word says the man knows best. 2) they see no other options to escape the idiot.
Im not obeying/consenting out of fear. Im not afraid. Hes not beating me. IF I had to leave for any reason, there are options and i know those options but dont need them or want them because they arent needed.

Im in a happy, healthy marriage for MYSELF.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:13 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Your response made me think of Pilates reply when Jesus said He came to reveal the truth.

John 18v37/38 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

Just like Pilate you seem to be in the dark about truth. Pilate knew Jesus to be innocent but yet he did not believe He was the truth. Truth is fact, and the only One who has the perfect knowledge of truth is God. Why? Because He knows everything that He created Himself perfectly. So our view as creatures is always limited to what we can understand or see, as in your example of different witnesses to an accident having different stories. They don't each own the truth, there was still just one accident and the facts of what happened remain the same, but each have their own little puzzle piece from their point of view.

The heart of the problem, is again, the problem of the heart. Ever since the fall our hearts have become biased against spiritual truth, incapable to judge righteously and discern right from wrong as God judges. And our minds are similarly darkened.
Only when we believe in Jesus Christ and receive the Holy Spirit by Gods grace, then our eyes are opened to spiritual truth, before that we are just in utter darkness with no idea where to go.

1 Corinthians 2v12/14 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I dont blame you for thinking what I say is foolish, but there is objective reality, only we are tiny little human beings who are limited in our understanding, including myself. But I do know that God is not a liar, and God provided us with His Word so we might know the truth as much as He reveals to us. Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

And you know truth is the only thing that can truly free us from slavery to lies, because we are bound to serve somebody. It may be the devil, or it may be the Lord, but you gotta serve somebody. But the service of the Lord is a million times better than serving satan. If you havent already, my advice would be abandon your service to satan and join the Lords army today. Its a much better and much safer place to be , sign up is free. The only requirement to join is faith in Jesus Christ. If you pray and ask Jesus Christ to forgive your sins and show you the truth, I am convinced you will know the truth about the claims of the Bible, including Genesis. And unlike satan who will spit his slaves out in a heartbeat, He takes good care of His soldiers!

John 8v31/32 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
I should say that you are confusing truth with "Truth". Indeed, Pilate's Q. is a rather good one and he doesn't get an answer. In fact the answer is implicit. Jesus is the "Truth".

That is not the way we use "truth" which means saying what is so, what is correct, and what is valid. And that usually requires some validation. "Truth is fact " as you say.

The Jesus -type "Truth" is believing without validation and in spite of it, if necessary. After all, that's mere worldly human wisdom, "So our view as creatures is always limited to what we can understand or see, as in your example of different witnesses to an accident having different stories. They don't each own the truth, there was still just one accident and the facts of what happened remain the same, but each have their own little puzzle piece from their point of view."
which counts for nothing against believing like a little child. Or so Christianity hopes, because kids can be very hard to fool, sometime.

So you dismiss human efforts to find Fact and rely on revelation from God.

"The heart of the problem, is again, the problem of the heart. Ever since the fall our hearts have become biased against spiritual truth, incapable to judge righteously and discern right from wrong as God judges. And our minds are similarly darkened.
Only when we believe in Jesus Christ and receive the Holy Spirit by Gods grace, then our eyes are opened to spiritual trut
h,"

So the difference e between the way you use Truth is this:

(a) truth. What is factually so, insofar as sound evidence supports it.

(b) "Truth" Faith -based belief, with or without sound evidence and in spite of it, if necessary.

I mean that, because the appeal to divine revelation is quite common. There was even a thread on the validity of divine revelation. But the evidence is that it is not reliable when all sorts of different views or opinions are revealed. That is why there are so many disagreements here.

If they can't agree on revealed truth, then what value is it compared to what validated evidence can reveal?

Axiom: there are many religions, but there is only one science.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Im not in a master/slave relationship but thanks. Im also not protecting my abuser since im not abused.

Im not obeying/consenting out of fear. Im not afraid. Hes not beating me. IF I had to leave for any reason, there are options and i know those options but dont need them or want them because they arent needed.

Fine, but the point is that the thread argument is that you should obey your husband /master even if you weren't content. Effectively you are agreeing with the view that he is NOT your master if you ever decide he doesn't deserve to be.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,881,591 times
C'mon y'all! It's a wind-up. Ohky is another POE of the calibre of Eusebius. Haven't you noticed that she claims to be so religious that she submits to punishment from her husband as per the Bible instruction yet, when she refers to her god, she doesn't capitalise the word 'He'. Now how many religious people do you know that that would even dream of referring to their god as 'he' rather than 'He'. It's a dead give away!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,305 times
Quote:

When you are punished, and you are not allowed to defend or protect yourself, you are in a Master/Slave relationship. You are "his submissive", to be used and abused at his discretion.

Punishment is physical, emotional, and psychological.

Then again in your case, it might be foreplay. You bad, bad, girl, you.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,514,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Fine, but the point is that the thread argument is that you should obey your husband /master even if you weren't content. Effectively you are agreeing with the view that he is NOT your master if you ever decide he doesn't deserve to be.
how about this concerning the point of this thread is never too far from it's designed purpose to (one or more)
  1. carry out the never ending vile of bigotry towards the Bible,
  2. vomit of narcissism towards those who penned it,
  3. it's axe grinding towards the correct application of it
  4. it's harassment of those who dare to trust that it truly 100% from God thus 100% absolute truth
  5. the never ending inflammatory blasphemous characterization rhetoric of God.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
how about this concerning the point of this thread is never too far from it's designed purpose to (one or more)
  1. carry out the never ending vile of bigotry towards the Bible,
  2. vomit of narcissism towards those who penned it,
  3. it's axe grinding towards the correct application of it
  4. it's harassment of those who dare to trust that it truly 100% from God thus 100% absolute truth
  5. the never ending inflammatory blasphemous characterization rhetoric of God.
Cool spluttering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity