Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,041,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have nothing to offer the OP because I have no idea...all I know is that after
being Baptized in the Holy Spirit...I touched people and they were healed
(haha, even a militant, angry atheist that saw what was happening as
I walked around a BBQ, not knowing I was healing people!)
and I could pray in tongues...and wowsa...that is all I can say.

I applaud you for sharing that; it takes courage. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
For instance, Miss H does not fit that criteria. I have never seen her post anything that is condemning or intended to control others or tell them they are excluded from God's love or anything else that is at odds with a spirit of love. Whatever her experiences in real life, her posts are consistently encouraging and positive.
You, at least get the point.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
ONLY in the Book pertaining to the Church of Corinth is the so-called "tongues" phenomenon spoken of. You will not find it in Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians or Thessalonians. Why? Because the 'tongues' spoken of have a geographical connection and NOT a supernatural connection.

As mentioned previously. Corinth was a crossroads for travelers and traders and, therefore, a number of different languages from those of different nationalities were common place. Not everyone understood everyone else. The Corinthian church was evidently plagued with numerous problems, including much confusion surrounding the various languages that were being spoken by the different nationalities.

The so-called "angelic tongues" spoken by those in present-day Pentecostal churches are no more than the similar giddy ramblings of an ecstatic child. None of this is scriptural ...it's simply a charismatic invention that is supposed to indicate that one is "Spirit-filled".

Too bad for your theory, Acts took place in Jerusalem. Once again, you have never experienced it, so you're talking about something you know not. Peace

Old 06-22-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When the fruit of the claimed "Spirit" does not match what Paul enumerated and we each find corroborated in our lives, we can tell that it is false. One does not need to be insane to witness and realize insanity.

Good thing the Pharisees didn't use your "everything is sweetness and nice yardstick" to measure all the things Yeshua said to them or they would have thought it wasn't G-d and would have missed the kingdom. Oh, wait, they did. Peace

Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Good thing the Pharisees didn't use your "everything is sweetness and nice yardstick" to measure all the things Yeshua said to them or they would have thought it wasn't G-d and would have missed the kingdom. Oh, wait, they did. Peace
As far as I know they didn't, and as far as I know, no one here uses that yardstick, it is a straw man set up by controllers to denigrate the meaning of "concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation" and the complexities involved, especially including the idea that we will reap what we sow.

Oh, and it is also used a LOT to deflect from the idea that THE test of the "spirits" is that fruit.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
As far as I know they didn't, and as far as I know, no one here uses that yardstick, it is a straw man set up by controllers to denigrate the meaning of "concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation" and the complexities involved, especially including the idea that we will reap what we sow.

Oh, and it is also used a LOT to deflect from the idea that THE test of the "spirits" is that fruit.

As I mentioned, THE test of the spirits is the spirit always exalts the one that sent it. Yeshua never failed that test. But by YOUR "test" Yeshua flunked when dealing with the Pharisees. But YOUR test is used to deflect the truth and anyone that brings it to your attention. Peace

Old 06-22-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned, THE test of the spirits is the spirit always exalts the one that sent it. Yeshua never failed that test. But by YOUR "test" Yeshua flunked when dealing with the Pharisees. But YOUR test is used to deflect the truth and anyone that brings it to your attention. Peace
As I have said, sometimes a wake up call is needed to express that concern, the question then is the validity of that call insofar as demonstrable harm in the practice that needs shaking up. The difficulty comes when the only demonstrable harm is in that "wake up call" itself.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:26 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
As I have said, sometimes a wake up call is needed to express that concern, the question then is the validity of that call insofar as demonstrable harm in the practice that needs shaking up. The difficulty comes when the only demonstrable harm is in that "wake up call" itself.
The difference, as I see it, is that your wake up call, nate, concerns someone who is imposing on others with their beliefs/"lifestyle" of condemnation.

As opposed to someone who thinks they need to extend a wake-up call about "internal/spiritual" harm to the person, themselves. Not only that, but it's based on an arbitrary determination of harm (the bible said it/God doesn't like it), rather than an actual determination of harm.

Which is maybe just another way of saying what you did, nate, but I wanted to stress the difference of it being about calling out harm being done by someone to others , rather than calling out perceived harm being done by someone to themselves. That's just busy-body-ness.

Last edited by Pleroo; 06-22-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 01:12 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
And for a ppl who say they know God's agape love by the fruit of the Spirit are always throwing at the Christian this, "Oh, and it is also used a LOT to deflect from the idea that THE test of the "spirits" is that fruit."

Yet, when you read their post you can discern they have no idea what their talking about and just saying something to get their fix of arguing and have no idea as to what the fruit of the Spirit is nor believe in His fruit .
It is so obvious by what they post and the attitude of the heart in ones rude, insulting respond to ppl post and the fruit is nowhere to be found . LOL ! Their just parroting words rather then it being in the heart .

Big difference and long distance from head and to heart

Old 06-22-2016, 01:58 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
When the fruit of the claimed "Spirit" does not match what Paul enumerated and we each find corroborated in our lives, we can tell that it is false. One does not need to be insane to witness and realize insanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
For instance, Miss H does not fit that criteria. I have never seen her post anything that is condemning or intended to control others or tell them they are excluded from God's love or anything else that is at odds with a spirit of love. Whatever her experiences in real life, her posts are consistently encouraging and positive.
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity