Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,383,742 times

Advertisements

Please help me understand in simple English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:16 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,983,941 times
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tonguea does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,b but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,c unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

In the NT you will see two kinds or manifestations of "tongues:" what happened on Pentecost where everyone heard the "tongues" and understood in their own language, and the kind Paul is speaking of here where what the person speaking sounds like nonsense to almost everyone there, but is an effect of the degree of excitement from the feeling of the Spirit present. This kind is of no use to anyone else unless one who does understand can translate for the church, and is discouraged in meetings of the body unless there is such translation.

The "prophesy" that is spoken of here is not necessarily predictions, but messages from God through the person speaking, whach may be on any concern of the church, and can ALWAYS be tested as they conform to the "fruit of the Spirit."

Old 06-19-2016, 12:56 PM

23,316 posts, read 10,614,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Know that Paul started that church and the church had fallen into false doctrine and ways and they had written to Paul twice and what they had written, Paul comes back and rebukes.

Here is Paul's biggest rebuke, Paul had just written down things that the Corinth Church had written to him, and then he sternly rebukes them in shame for what they said.

36What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

For Paul to have rebuked them so shamefully, he must have been seriously irritated.

Paul had just written down what they said, what was it?

26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

Here is where Paul begins addressing what the Corinthian church said in their letters.

1 Corinthians 7
1Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me:

Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,081,910 times
The baptism in the Holy Ghost is what activates the gifts of the Spirit within a believer, that are mentioned in Corinthians. It's the difference between just being a well of salvation, and a river of living water (moving). The baptism in the HG is open to any believer; Christ is the baptizer.

There are two types of tongues; the personal prayer language of the believer given to all that receive the baptism in the HG, and the gift of tongues that is for the body at large. It is the latter that requires an interpreter, and the Spirit itself IS that interpreter through an individual who has received that particular gift.

The root of prophecy is proclaim those things that are not as though they were; it's the King's word being fulfilled by speaking it, no different if a natural king proclaimed something to be so, and it was so, because he is the highest authority in the land.

In the same way, when He is made our King and the gifts of the Spirit are in operation, He has the ability to both speak and perform what is spoken. Peace

Old 06-19-2016, 02:39 PM

9,705 posts, read 10,083,736 times
See Tongues of the spirit come with the baptism of Holy spirit , as it is a heavenly language , which when I speak it , God Spirit goes into a joy ..............Prophecy is a Word for biblical faith from God which is a gift of the Holy Spirit which come with the baptism of Holy Spirit first , and not every one has the gift of prophecy and some may not even have the gift of tongues , still people need to be born again in the spirit of Christ which is a profound experience of Jesus Spirit coming and abiding on the believers space who has repented of sin and who loves God ........ Like in 1 Corinthians 14 Paul say it would be better if all people speak tongues as it is great for the soul , but even better for the church is people speak a prophetic Word of God so we could get into what the Lord is planning ......... There is a lot of churches today which condemn this , but the Lord said He has a plan for these churches who do not believe in tongues or prophecy gifts , as they have not developed this part of God on their walk with God and would even call this belief blaspheme and occult , but actually God expects all His children to develop these gifts and be baptized in the Holy Spirit

Old 06-19-2016, 02:51 PM

23,316 posts, read 10,614,943 times
I spoke in tongues for 40 years and it always made me cry and always got me over anger and such, but that was because I believed in them then.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,081,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I spoke in tongues for 40 years and it always made me cry and always got me over anger and such, but that was because I believed in them then.

And I would say that is because it's as water rolling over the stony places in our heart, wearing them away, just as the natural water washes over stones until they give way. And the same beauty we hear in a natural stream "waterfall', so too is it music to His ears to hear us as His waterfall. Peace

Old 06-19-2016, 05:50 PM

6,845 posts, read 2,968,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
In simple English language? The word "tongues" is just another word for 'language'. Nothing more. An 'unknown tongue' is simply a language spoken that is not understood (not known) by the listener, i.e. 'Chinese' spoken to someone that doesn't understand Chinese. It really IS as simple as that. The city of Corinth was a crossroads for travelers and traders and, consequently, many different languages were spoken. The Pentecostal Church introduced a new kind of language, otherwise known as 'babble', that has nothing to do with scripture.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:35 PM

64,112 posts, read 40,411,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
In simple English language? The word "tongues" is just another word for 'language'. Nothing more. An 'unknown tongue' is simply a language spoken that is not understood (not known) by the listener, i.e. 'Chinese' spoken to someone that doesn't understand Chinese. It really IS as simple as that. The city of Corinth was a crossroads for travelers and traders and, consequently, many different languages were spoken. The Pentecostal Church introduced a new kind of language, otherwise known as 'babble', that has nothing to do with scripture.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,482,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
It's known as the tower of Babel, where men attempt to exalt themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity