Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 08:15 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yeah, I've heard that before.

Back when I was 18, one of the elders of our congregation was discovered naked in bed with a 14-year-old boy. The other elder board members solemnly intoned "We can't judge" and the man retained his position on the elder board.

Matthew 18 along with Romans 1:5 tells us that there are some harmful behaviors within our congregations that we certainly must judge on the basis of the harm they cause.
Yeah, that's called rape. And shame on everyone who knew and did not phone the authorities.

I'm just not a bible literalist apt to use certain phrases to then cast 'sin'.

Big difference between rape and sexual promiscuity between consenting adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 08:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
The response to his behavior as criminal was handled by other means, as also to be understood by 1 Corinthians 5. The elder board had no decision to make about that.

What was in the hands of the elder board was his position on the board and in the congregation--which they flubbed.

But those elders who are sinning you are to reprove before everyone, so that the others may take warning.
-- 1 Timothy 5:20

Sure they did. You don't leave a person who harms children in a position where they can continue to do so. This is what I'm talking about with people and their black and white extremes. "Don't judge" doesn't mean take it to an extreme and allow people to harm children, and it doesn't mean ignoring criminal behavior. Common sense. Sheesh.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sure they did. You don't leave a person who harms children in a position where they can continue to do so. This is what I'm talking about with people and their black and white extremes. "Don't judge" doesn't mean take it to an extreme and allow people to harm children, and it doesn't mean ignoring criminal behavior. Common sense. Sheesh.
Thank you.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:05 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Yeah, that's called rape. And shame on everyone who knew and did not phone the authorities.

I'm just not a bible literalist apt to use certain phrases to then cast 'sin'.

Big difference between rape and sexual promiscuity between consenting adults.
The authorities were called and involved when he was discovered. That was not in the hands of the elder board.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Why are you only worried about harming children? Is that the only thing any judgment of behavior should be made about? Only with regard to children? And only with regard to what the law deems "criminal?"

So is nobody harmed when a man leaves his wife or another woman? They were both consenting adults. What about a man who seduces multiple women and leaves them with children and no support? Or what if there are no children--he just breaks their hearts. The women were consenting at the time.

And all this is going on within the congregation among people who should be unified by love and care for one another.

Most groups of friends can determine, at the very least, "Irving is a jerk. We don't want to hang around Irving if he won't act like a decent person." I'll bet you practice that yourself--avoiding jerks.

But you're denying that privilege to a congregation.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Back when I was 18, one of the elders of our congregation was discovered naked in bed with a 14-year-old boy. The other elder board members solemnly intoned "We can't judge" and the man retained his position on the elder board.

Matthew 18 along with Romans 1:5 tells us that there are some harmful behaviors within our congregations that we certainly must judge on the basis of the harm they cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There is a huge difference between consenting adults, and children.
Quote:
I never know what your responses to me actually mean.
When consenting adults screw up their lives for whatever reason, it's their business, not yours. However, if they decide to confide in you for whatever reason, then I hope you aren't judgmental. Again, there is a huge difference when it comes to children being abused or exploited. Although I would not expect you to stand there, while a man is beating his wife?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Why are you only worried about harming children? Is that the only thing any judgment of behavior should be made about? Only with regard to children? And only with regard to what the law deems "criminal?"

So is nobody harmed when a man leaves his wife or another woman? They were both consenting adults. What about a man who seduces multiple women and leaves them with children and no support? Or what if there are no children--he just breaks their hearts. The women were consenting at the time.

And all this is going on within the congregation among people who should be unified by love and care for one another.

Most groups of friends can determine, at the very least, "Irving is a jerk. We don't want to hang around Irving if he won't act like a decent person." I'll bet you practice that yourself--avoiding jerks.

But you're denying that privilege to a congregation.
Privilege? Honey, you do whatever you want. No one is stopping you. You want to shun people, you go right ahead. Of course, most groups of friends probably don't claim to have the authority of God to declare a person condemned and unfit for association. They just own up to the fact that it's personal preference who they want to keep company with and who they don't.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Privilege? Honey, you do whatever you want. No one is stopping you. You want to shun people, you go right ahead. Of course, most groups of friends probably don't claim to have the authority of God to declare a person condemned and unfit for association. They just own up to the fact that it's personal preference who they want to keep company with and who they don't.
Common sense, goes a long way.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Okay. So? What's the difference if you don't care to be in that group anyway?

It seems to me that although 1 Corinthians 5 means that Christians should stay out of the business of non-Christians, there doesn't seem to be any rule for non-Christians to stay out of the business of Christians.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Okay. So? What's the difference if you don't care to be in that group anyway?

It seems to me that although 1 Corinthians 5 means that Christians should stay out of the business of non-Christians, there doesn't seem to be any rule for non-Christians to stay out of the business of Christians.
I have no idea what you are trying to ask, or what point you are trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity