Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 07:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,505,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
When I was young and sinful, I wouldn't read the bible and I put it away until I became a better person and then I realized that this hope would never be realized because I never stopped sinning. I just decided that if I really wanted to know the bible that I had to keep studying whether in sin or not but a lot of people will avoid the bible when they are in willful sin.
Best time to study it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
When I walk into a church, all I see is fornicators, adulterers, homosexuals.
Either the wrong church, if they practice such, or the right one if they have stopped doing such. Have they stopped?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:17 PM

23,313 posts, read 10,614,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It does happen, and it can happen in youth groups, where some kids are unsure about their direction. It is not wise to allow it to continue as the ones using can get other kids to use as well. It seems some posters are disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing.

Yep, there are a lot of youth groups out there that begin with good intentions and then somebody like me comes along

Meh, I was the preachers son, y'all all know us.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,482,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I quit attending any Church, after 30 years of firsthand experience with various mentalities.
Let's see, it has been about 10 years since then, and although I may visit one once in awhile.

Things really haven't changed. And I do not have a desire to carry that heavy stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ok, so you do not attend church, and yet somehow you see theses things take place in church.

All righty then.....
What does firsthand experience tell you?
And the fact that things haven't changed.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:20 PM

10,116 posts, read 5,033,414 times
Quote:
Israel's and Judah's Unfaithfulness
…7"I thought, 'After she has done all these things she will return to Me'; but she did not return, and her treacherous sister Judah saw it. 8"And I saw that for all the adulteries of faithless Israel, I had sent her away and given her a writ of divorce, yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear; but she went and was a harlot also. 9"Because of the lightness of her harlotry, she polluted the land and committed adultery with stones and trees.…
There is a spiritual adultery, spiritual fornication and a spiritual homosexuality. Israel committed adultery by building Dan and Bethel and they created their own worship system and Judah started to follow.
When Israel built that golden calf, they committed adultery and the history of Israel is whoredom after whoredom until Judah was taken into Babylon and they stopped committing adultery after that.
Which adultery is worse?
I really couldn't say.
Basically there are only two (2) types of sinning:
Either on purpose or not, willfully or not, premeditated or not, by accident or not, intentional or not.

'Christendom ' ( mostly Christian in name only - Matthew 7:21-23 ) is in 'bed' with the political ' kings' ( earth's rulers )
So, in that sense the fake ' weed/tares ' Christians are in bed ( spiritual fornication ) with the political.
She thinks she sits as some sort of religious ' queen ' who will never see mourning or sorrow.
She is in for a BIG surprise - Revelation 17:1-2; 18:7-9; 1st Thessalonians 5:2-3
'They' the 'powers that be' will be saying, "Peace and Security " as a precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among people of goodwill.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You should notice that the list of practices is about things that are demonstrably harmful to the person involved and to members of the body, so that is one of the things we should discern about such practices: they are inherently harmful, and those that are not harmful in themselves should be reassessed as to whether they should be included on the list as "sin."
If they are not on that list, or a similar one, then the actions towards them would not be the same.

Do you agree that those practicing such harmful things to themselves and others and are not repentant, should be avoided?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:22 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,453,638 times
Okay, so far, no has been able to explain, if you're not worried that other people are going to start doing the sins that you are ex-communicating or shunning people for, why are you removing them from your church? How is it harming your congregation for "sinners", like addicts or alcoholics or someone who has cheated on their spouse, to be in your midst? Do you not trust your members to be able to discern right from wrong if you don't shun them?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 PM

10,116 posts, read 5,033,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is why Jesus, speaking to "believers" in God, said the majority were on the wrong road and only a few were finding the right now. You just have been exposed to those on the broad way, who claim to be believers.
Good point ^ above ^ because Jesus is forewarning us about false believers in Matthew chapter 7.
The hallmark of genuine Christians would be having self-sacrificing love among themselves and for others - John 13:34-35

Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,453,638 times
Quote:
Yep, there are a lot of youth groups out there that begin with good intentions and then somebody like me comes along

Meh, I was the preachers son, y'all all know us.
So this was NOT adults doing this, as I asked you? It was a youth group. You were doing drugs and drinking in front of the adults at your church, and none of them said anything?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Not a Greek scholar, but when I look at a literal rendering of verse 13, it says to purge the EVIL, not the person. And verse 9 & 11, where it is translated as "associate" has the connotation of not being INTIMATE with immoral people. IOW, don't get busy with them and don't do what they're doing. You don't have to disassociate from or shun someone to not participate in whatever "evil" they are doing.
In Greek the gender of the word focused on indicates to avoid the evil "man" (the word is in the masculine gender). Literally in Greek there is no word for "man", but the grammar indicates that in English it is to be there to match the gender.

Yes we would avoid being intimate, and even to the degree of "not eating with such a one". Close association would end. Obviously if you worked with such, you would speak with them as part of your job. If it was an immediate member of your family and living with you, you would speak with them. If you saw one in need you would stop and help them. It is close association and especially "spiritual" that you would avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity