Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 11:01 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,593,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Penal Substitution theory is based on a mistaken belief. What God desires may be opposite to that of your own understanding or what you have been taught. Paul in Galatians (5:22) writes about the fruit of the spirit being: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. To this we could include; purity, humility, modesty, character, wisdom, enthusiasm, dignity, optimism, confidence, honesty and mercy. This is what it means to have life in all its fullness. And these things come from God, who is the giver of all good things.

The abundant life is free from selfishness, hatred, lust (living under sins temptations), unforgiveness, envy, jealousy, fear, drunkenness, sexual immorality, discord, anger, dishonesty, greed, gossiping, slander, pessimism and despair. Where love grows cold. But the good news is that God can remove all of these negative characteristics from a person's life – it's only a matter of a heart condition.

People say that God had to pour out his anger (wrath) against sin, either on us or Jesus in order to satisfy his justice. If this is the case, then, there is neither mercy nor forgiveness. However, I am sure you will miss this, and sweep it under the carpet of a blood sacrifice to appease the demands of a Holy and infinite God.

If justice was served
– there would be no need for mercy or any forgiveness. And scapegoating is not a defense, you cannot slaughter the innocent and call it the righteousness of God that covers your sin.

The righteousness of God demanded a penalty for sin. A penalty which must be paid. Jesus bore our sins in His own body for a purpose. He bore our sins in His own body in order to be judged for those sins in our place.
1 Peter 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
Isaiah 53 makes it clear that God the Father was pleased to crush Jesus, to put Him to grief if He would render Himself as a guilt offering. It further states that He bore our sins and interceded for us (the transgressors.

Yes, Jesus took the penalty for our sins. And by doing so, He made salvation possible for the human race. Therefore, anyone who simply trusts in the finished redemptive work of Jesus has eternal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,435,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The righteousness of God demanded a penalty for sin. A penalty which must be paid. Jesus bore our sins in His own body for a purpose. He bore our sins in His own body in order to be judged for those sins in our place.
1 Peter 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
Isaiah 53 makes it clear that God the Father was pleased to crush Jesus, to put Him to grief if He would render Himself as a guilt offering. It further states that He bore our sins and interceded for us (the transgressors).

Yes, Jesus took the penalty for our sins. And by doing so, He made salvation possible for the human race. Therefore, anyone who simply trusts in the finished redemptive work of Jesus has eternal life.
He never demanded sacrifice, burnt offerings, nor the death of an innocent.

Isaiah 1:1-17

What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. When you come to appear before me, who has required of you this trampling of my courts? Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations—I cannot endure the iniquity and solemn assemblies. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates; they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands, I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen; your hands are full of blood. Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause.

Jeremiah 7:22–24
I did not speak to your fathers, or command them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices. But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.’ Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but followed the counsels and the dictates of their evil hearts; and went backward, not forward.

Amos 5:21–24
I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies. Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and the peace offerings of your fattened animals, I will not look upon them. Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen. But let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

Micah 6:6–8
With what shall I come before the Lord and bow down before the exalted God? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy; and to walk humbly with your God.

Psalm 51:16–17
For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offerings.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart—These, O God, You will not despise.

Hosea 6:6
For it is love that I seek, not sacrifice.

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-24-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
He never demanded sacrifice, burnt offerings, nor the death of an innocent.

Isaiah 1:1-17

What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. When you come to appear before me, who has required of you this trampling of my courts? Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations—I cannot endure the iniquity and solemn assemblies. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates; they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands, I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen; your hands are full of blood. Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause.

Jeremiah 7:22–24
I did not speak to your fathers, or command them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices. But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.’ Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but followed the counsels and the dictates of their evil hearts; and went backward, not forward.

Amos 5:21–24
I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies. Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and the peace offerings of your fattened animals, I will not look upon them. Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen. But let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

Micah 6:6–8
With what shall I come before the Lord and bow down before the exalted God? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy; and to walk humbly with your God.

Psalm 51:16–17
For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offerings.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart—These, O God, You will not despise.

Hosea 6:6
For it is love that I seek, not sacrifice.
God absolutely did demand the Levitical animal sacrifices, and the Book of Leviticus from the very beginning of that Book goes into great detail how God wanted those sacrifices to be conducted.

And the purpose of those animal sacrifices was by means of typology to graphically illustrate the future sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. And you've already been shown that Isaiah 53 is about Jesus offering Himself as a guilt offering.

But while the Israelites mechanically performed the required sacrifices, their heart was not right with God.

You mention Psalm 51:16–17 in which the Psalmist states that God does not delight in sacrifices. The writer of Hebrews in Hebrews 10:5-8 quotes that passage and then goes on to say that Jesus offered Himself once for all. That's a reference to His sacrifice. No, God didn't delight in sacrifices, but Jesus' sacrifice was necessary for our salvation, and the Levitical animal sacrifices were a necessary teaching aid for the Israelites concerning the sacrifice that Jesus would make when He later came into the world.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-24-2016 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
God absolutely did demand the Levitical animal sacrifices, and the Book of Leviticus from the very beginning of that Book goes into great detail how God wanted those sacrifices to be conducted.

And the purpose of those animal sacrifices was by means of typology to graphically illustrate the future sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. And you've already been shown that Isaiah 53 is about Jesus offering Himself as a guilt offering.

But while the Israelites mechanically performed the required sacrifices, their heart was not right with God.

You mention Psalm 51:16–17 in which the Psalmist states that God does not delight in sacrifices. The writer of Hebrews in Hebrews 10:5-8 quotes that passage and then goes on to say that Jesus offered Himself once for all. That's a reference to His sacrifice. No, God didn't delight in sacrifices, but Jesus' sacrifice was necessary for our salvation, and the Levitical animal sacrifices were a necessary teaching aid for the Israelites concerning the sacrifice that Jesus would make when He later came into the world.
You are enslaved by the chains of a sacrificial-system that needs its pound of flesh. Jesus unlocked these chains, and it was not his intent that you return to bondage, nor for you to use him as your scapegoat. What God wanted was love, faith, humility, mercy, and righteousness, which are things the law could not provide.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The righteousness of God demanded a penalty for sin.
No, it did not, through his grace you are freely forgiven.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:21 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,431,470 times
Quote:
If that's not true, then God is just a more powerful version of vengeful humans.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM

63,995 posts, read 40,286,326 times
Quote:
You are enslaved by the chains of a sacrificial-system that needs its pound of flesh. Jesus unlocked these chains, and it was not his intent that you return to bondage, nor for you to use him as your scapegoat. What God wanted was love, faith, humility, mercy, and righteousness, which are things the law could not provide.
Amen!
Quote:
Barbaric nonsense!
Quote:
Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If that's not true, then God is just a more powerful version of vengeful humans.
The OT God embodies all the worst characteristics of human Kings and Dictators! Only the God of love revealed by Jesus is true.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
No, I simply believe the writers of Scripture.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Isaiah 53 makes it clear that God the Father was pleased to crush Jesus, to put Him to grief if He would render Himself as a guilt offering. It further states that He bore our sins and interceded for us (the transgressors.

Quote:
Yes it did. We can only be forgiven because Jesus paid the price, the penalty for our sins. The only reason that God is able to forgive us is because the work of Christ on the cross satisfied the righteous demands of a righteous God.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:32 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,379,087 times
Quote:
Yes it did. We can only be forgiven because Jesus paid the price, the penalty for our sins. The only reason that God is able to forgive us is because the work of Christ on the cross satisfied the righteous demands of a righteous God.
That just convinced me that Jesus' death was a demonstration of love and not appeasement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity