Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 PM

20,469 posts, read 12,868,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Jimmie, you aren't paying attention. Do you think the things you bolded somehow make the part that says that God was reconciling the WORLD, not counting their trespasses against them not say what it says? Do you think the bolded parts mean God changed her mind and decided, "What?!? They don't believe that I'm not holding their sins against 'em?! I'll show them! I AM going to hold their sins against them after all! Off with their heads and to hell with them all!"?

No, I am not a Christian. I am not offended by Jesus. I DO find some of the religious doctrines that have been built up around Jesus to be harmful and/or disturbing, at best. Before you ask: biblical inerrancy and all that comes with it, substitutionary atonement, the T, U and L of TULIP in any of the various forms they take in different denominations, and eternal torment or annihilation. Add on to that the anti-gay sentiment that seems to go hand-in-hand with those doctrines, and the overall fixation on sin and judging others. That's more than enough.
The part you are missing us that we must accept Christ's redemption. The gift has been offered, but it's not automatic. You yourself have rejected it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,474,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The part you are missing is that we must accept Christ's redemption. The gift has been offered, but it's not automatic. You yourself have rejected it.
In other words, if my daughters' rejected my love.
I should make them suffer forever, and ever.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

You are not God. You and your daughter are both fallible humans.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:13 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,449,872 times
Quote:
It says it right there, my friend. "...that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them ."

Your bible says that God was reconciling the WORLD, not counting their trespasses against them.

Now, you want to maintain that somehow God IS counting the sins of the world against them, so you have a contradiction on your hands. Which means either your doctrine is wrong, or the bible passage is wrong. Take your pick
Quote:
The part you are missing us that we must accept Christ's redemption. The gift has been offered, but it's not automatic. You yourself have rejected it.

Well, then, jimmiej, it appears that your choice is that the bible passage is wrong, because your doctrine can't be.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Well, then, jimmiej, it appears that your choice is that the bible passage is wrong, because your doctrine can't be.
No, you are choosing to base your theology on a few words, instead of the entire passage, or other similar passages.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
No, you are choosing to base your theology on a few words, instead of the entire passage, or other similar passages.

As a bible inerrantist, you are obligated to accept every word of your bible as true. Your bible says that "in Christ, God was reconciling the world, NOT. COUNTING. THEIR. TRESPASSES. AGAINST. THEM."

Your doctrine says that that is not true, and that God is, in fact, holding the trespasses of the world against them.

:shrug:

Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Which amounts to saying that a fallible human being is more loving than the God who IS love.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
As a bible inerrantist, you are obligated to accept every word of your bible as true. Your bible says that "in Christ, God was reconciling the world, NOT. COUNTING. THEIR. TRESPASSES. AGAINST. THEM."

Your doctrine says that that is not true, and that God is, in fact, holding the trespasses of the world against them.

:shrug:
I do accept every word-you don't. That's why you're missing the truth. Read John 3. It says the same thing. Read Matt. 7:13-14. It says the same thing. Read Rev. 20:11-15. It says the same thing. God offers redemption to all, through Christ, but not all accept. To those who do (they are "in Christ"), He is not holding their sin against them. It was transferred to Jesus.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Which amounts to saying that a fallible human being is more loving than the God who IS love.
No, it's saying God is holy and we are not.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,474,099 times
Quote:
The part you are missing is that we must accept Christ's redemption.

The gift has been offered, but it's not automatic.
You yourself have rejected it.
Quote:

Quote:
Because they rejected my love.
I should make them suffer.

If not, I am imperfect or weak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity