Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 09:42 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,439,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You aren't jimmie and that's no explanation.

But thanks for reposting my question. jimmie might have me on ignore again and wouldn't see it otherwise.
Well, I didn't see your post, so I asked the same question. Perhaps he'll respond to one of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,282,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, I didn't see your post, so I asked the same question. Perhaps he'll respond to one of us.
Let's hope.

I'm 65 years old, have a university degree in Journalism and have written professionally for 40 years. I say that only to illustrate I possess a fairly good grasp of the English language.

And I have NEVER seen anyone, anywhere - except jimmie here on CD - equate holiness with blood. And the manner in which the word "holiness" is used, implies it is an active entity which requires nourishment in the form of blood.

So, when jimmie says his god requires blood in order to satisfy his holiness, how can one not picture anything but a vampire and a perverted corruption of the word "holy?"

Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,851,941 times
Quote:
You keep parroting that "to satisfy his holiness". Explain what you mean by it, please. And also please explain how blood or a life for a life accomplishes this.
Blood represents life. Lev. 17:11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life.
In the days before Christ, God required a blood sacrifice for the remission of sins. Jesus became the ultimate & final sacrifice. Only through faith in that work can we obtain forgiveness from a holy God. "I am the way, truth and life..."

Quote:
I already responded to this series of questions. But let me put it for you another way. IF God is love, then God's nature does not require going through a process to be released from feelings of revenge, anger and wanting to harm others, because those things are antithetical to it.
Again, you dismiss God's holiness. Jesus redemptive work was the process by which God's love was expressed AND His holiness was satisfied. (John 3:16)

Quote:
What you're really asking is will God rescind forgiveness if we don't do something. No. But, I would say that the benefits* that come from understanding that one IS forgiven for something one is feeling guilty about would obviously require one to know it and believe that it is true.

Sadly, when one believes that a God who is love would rescind forgiveness of anyone, for any reason, that one is in the clutches of a belief system that is counterproductive and actually works against the power that forgiveness has in their lives.

*Healing, peace, transformation, to name a few, but NOT punishment. Because a person who is not holding someone's sins against them is not, nor ever would, threaten to punish someone for something they aren't holding against them. See how that works?

Of course, you understand that forgiveness does not negate the natural consequences of our actions. However, experiencing forgiveness can cause us to face those natural consequences with a different mindset which will inhibit those consequences from causing further harm to our "soul" and will actually work to produce positive growth.
No, that's not what I was asking. Do you believe we receive God's forgiveness automatically?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Let's hope.

I'm 65 years old, have a university degree in Journalism and have written professionally for 40 years. I say that only to illustrate I possess a fairly good grasp of the English language.

And I have NEVER seen anyone, anywhere - except jimmie here on CD - equate holiness with blood. And the manner in which the word "holiness" is used, implies it is an active entity which requires nourishment in the form of blood.

So, when jimmie says his god requires blood in order to satisfy his holiness, how can one not picture anything but a vampire and a perverted corruption of the word "holy?"

This would be one of the huge benefits of having aphantasia. But even reading that description gives me the willies.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,282,646 times
Quote:
This would be one of the huge benefits of having aphantasia. But even reading that description gives me the willies.
I agree. It's highly unpleasant. But what else could a god who NEEDS blood be but a vampire?

It's the "to satisy his holiness" that the true perversion lies. There's absolutely nothing "holy" about a bloodsucking god who needs to (pretend to) murder his son.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Blood represents life. Lev. 17:11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life.
In the days before Christ, God required a blood sacrifice for the remission of sins. Jesus became the ultimate & final sacrifice. Only through faith in that work can we obtain forgiveness from a holy God. "I am the way, truth and life..."

What do you mean by "atonement", and how does a blood sacrifice accomplish this?

Quote:
No, that's not what I was asking. Do you believe we receive God's forgiveness automatically?
Read the whole bit, not just the first sentence, and you will see that your question was answered. Here it is again:

What you're really asking is will God rescind forgiveness if we don't do something. No. But, I would say that the benefits* that come from understanding that one IS forgiven for something one is feeling guilty about would obviously require one to know it and believe that it is true.

Sadly, when one believes that a God who is love would rescind forgiveness of anyone, for any reason, that one is in the clutches of a belief system that is counterproductive and actually works against the power that forgiveness has in their lives.

*Healing, peace, transformation, to name a few, but NOT punishment. Because a person who is not holding someone's sins against them is not, nor ever would, threaten to punish someone for something they aren't holding against them. See how that works?

Of course, you understand that forgiveness does not negate the natural consequences of our actions. However, experiencing forgiveness can cause us to face those natural consequences with a different mindset which will inhibit those consequences from causing further harm to our "soul" and will actually work to produce positive growth.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I agree. It's highly unpleasant. But what else could a god who NEEDS blood be but a vampire?

It's the "to satisy his holiness" that the true perversion lies. There's absolutely nothing "holy" about a bloodsucking god who needs to (pretend to) murder his son.

Good points, all around.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,898,619 times
Quote:

I think most Christians have sexual fantasies over the 'blood/suffering' thing. Christianity is, after all, a blood cult.

It's odd though! I mean, loads of people have wronged me over the years and I haven't required their blood. I've just...well...forgiven them.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,851,941 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "atonement", and how does a blood sacrifice accomplish this?
Atonement simply means Jesus took our place. We are sinful and separated from our holy Creator. The life is in the blood. Jesus shed His for our sins.

Isaiah 53

But he was pierced for our transgressions;

He was crushed for our iniquities;

upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace,

and with his wounds we are healed.

Quote:
Read the whole bit, not just the first sentence, and you will see that your question was answered. Here it is again:

I read it the first time. I'll assume the answer is YES, forgiveness from God is automatic.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Atonement simply means Jesus took our place. We are sinful and separated from our holy Creator. The life is in the blood. Jesus shed His for our sins.

Isaiah 53

But he was pierced for our transgressions;

He was crushed for our iniquities;

upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace,

and with his wounds we are healed.
I don't even know what to do with this. Trying anyway...

You believe that God's holiness demanded that God pierce and crush and wound all people.

Why? Why would holiness demand such a thing?

And then God chose to pierce and crush and wound Jesus in the place of doing it to everyone else.

If that were really true, and God's holiness was satisfied by that act () WHY does God still need to pierce and crush and wound people ETERNALLY? What is being satisfied by THAT?

Quote:
I read it the first time. I'll assume the answer is YES, forgiveness from God is automatic.
You read, but did not comprehend the first time, apparently.

Yes. Forgiveness would flow automatically from a God who IS love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity