Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Wishful good luck? Or sarcastic good luck?
A little of both. Many here, myself included, have been attempting to get the ET believers to comprehend that for as long as I've been a member here, and based on the old threads that get resurrected, long before, too. Success has been minimal. I appreciate your enthusiasm; but won't be surprised if you burn out sooner rather than later once you get a taste of just how deeply that vile doctrine has sunk its roots into the minds and hearts of some Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 AM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
A little of both. Many here, myself included, have been attempting to get the ET believers to comprehend that for as long as I've been a member here, and based on the old threads that get resurrected, long before, too. Success has been minimal. I appreciate your enthusiasm; but won't be surprised if you burn out sooner rather than later once you get a taste of just how deeply that vile doctrine has sunk its roots into the minds and hearts of some Christians.
Are you surprised that success has been minimal?

Most people start with an idea/doctrine they want to believe in, then cherry pick the Bible for passages which seem to support said doctrines. You're not likely to convert anyone to your views based on the Bible. For example: growing up in the LCMS, you know that James had to be interpreted by Romans, and obviously not the other way around? Why? Because Luther wanted "salvation by faith alone" to be true.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Are you surprised that success has been minimal?

People start with an idea they want to believe in, then cherry pick the Bible for passages which seem to support their views.
No. Only, I don't know if most people WANT to believe in ET*. But the stakes for questioning it (in the minds of those who believe it) are obviously very high. It's insidious, because in questioning the doctrine, people feel that they are questioning God, and that's a no-no when God is as dangerous as the God of wrath which the doctrine of ET portrays.

Also, because ET is tied in to so many other Christian doctrines, the mind becomes overwhelmed, I think, at considering how if one stops believing in it, one may very well have to reconsider other doctrines. It begins to feel like your whole foundation is a house of cards about to be blown over, and that's damned scary. Most of us naturally guard ourselves against that kind of extreme disruption in our lives, because we intuitively understand the amount of work and energy it would take to rebuild. Who wants that?

*I admit to being very surprised and dismayed, at first, when I realized that there were some who DO seem to get a charge out of believing it. I'm no longer surprised.

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-16-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
No. Only, I don't know if most people WANT to believe in ET*. But the stakes for questioning it (in the minds of those who believe it) are obviously very high. It's insidious, because in questioning the doctrine, people feel that they are questioning God, and that's a no-no when God is as dangerous as the God of wrath which the doctrine of ET portrays.

Also, because ET is tied in to so many other Christian doctrines, the mind becomes overwhelmed, I think, at considering how if one stops believing in it, one may very well have to reconsider other doctrines. It begins to feel like your whole foundation is a house of cards about to be blown over, and that's damned scary. Most of us naturally guard ourselves against that kind of extreme disruption in our lives, because we intuitively understand the amount of work and energy it would take to rebuild. Who wants that?

*I admit to being very surprised and dismayed, at first, when I realized that there were some who DO seem to get a charge out of believing it. I'm not longer surprised.
Ps. I think the younger one is, the less overwhelming it is, in general. As one gets older, that sort of upheaval becomes increasingly difficult.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I have another p.s.

It might not just be fear that causes one to rebel against having one's foundation crumble. It could be that it would be a blow to the pride to admit that one is wrong. Or, it could be, especially for those of us who were heavily invested in living out our Christian faith, protecting ourselves from the thought that we'd wasted our lives on something that wasn't true.

I'm sure there are other reasons, and it's a combination of many, not just one.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:54 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,928,004 times
Quote:
Yep, the broad way leads to "destruction" or apōleia which is derived from the word apollymi.

Of course, Jesus also said that the Son of Man came to seek and save that which is "lost" or apollymi.

And you are saying that the Son can't succeed in that mission. Tsk.

It isn't forced on anyone, they must use their free will to do -ALL- that God says. Jesus clearly taught it would be FEW.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
It isn't forced on anyone, they must use their free will to do -ALL- that God says. Jesus clearly taught it would be FEW.
No, he clearly said that a few were findING (the Greek verbs are present tense, not future) it, at that time, and that many were goING through the wide gate to destruction/apōleia . That's why he said that the Son of Man was needing to find the ones who had lost/apollymi their way and save them. That's what your bible says that Jesus said. If you want to think that the Son of Man isn't going to succeed at finding and saving, that's up to you, but your bible also says that God is the savior of ALL men, not a few.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,175,161 times
Hey Christians, if God demanded you sacrifice a child, would you do it?
Would you burn that child to death if God demanded it?
How are you going to be blissful in heaven if one of your loved ones is burning in hell?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:34 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
No, he clearly said that a few were findING (the Greek verbs are present tense, not future) it, at that time, and that many were goING through the wide gate to destruction/apōleia . That's why he said that the Son of Man was needing to find the ones who had lost/apollymi their way and save them. That's what your bible says that Jesus said. If you want to think that the Son of Man isn't going to succeed at finding and saving, that's up to you, but your bible also says that God is the savior of ALL men, not a few.
Amen, Pleroo!!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:55 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,404,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
It appears that the biblical God is severely lacking in his ability to convey his message. How is it that there is a question as to ET, annihilation or universalism? I could easily express the one true message I meant mankind to have.

Hello Maat55, contrary to what you state above God most assuredly did convey His message in a very plain easily understandable way. The problem is not with what God said, it is with the people who refuse, for whatever reason, to believe that which He plainly states.

Not only does God plainly tell us what to believe He even commands us to teach it.

Take a look at this scripture which we are to believe and commanded to teach. Is there any doubt which doctrine we are commanded to teach?

1 Tim.4:10-11
“For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.”
“These things command and teach.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity