Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 03:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Probably, like DRob, he has his Holy Spirit Detection Glasses. I think there was an ad for them and a coupon to clip on the back page of their bible.
the coupon comes with the JOB bubble gum. Great gum, but you really have to work it...

Old 10-15-2016, 09:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Perhaps the mystery of iniquity is closely tied to the desire of men to rule over women.
Excellent response to a MOST excellent post. I wanted to focus on this sentence, though and I think you have something very important here. IMO control is essentially the opposite of love which encourages and supports. Control is all about trying to make sure that nothing bad happens to the controller and is totally selfish in nature.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
SERIOUSLY? I mean, you are ACTUALLY trying to make this fly?
"14If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. 15If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever—…" Now, honestly, who is the FIRST "advocate," and who advocates for us before the Father?

You are simply amazing.
You are proving my point. Jesus was the helper at that time. What did he help them do??? Understand Scripture. he explained scripture constantly so they would understand it. A few examples below where every teaching is based in previous scripture he mentions.

KJV Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred. 3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:16-21 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Matthew 5:27-28 27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Matthew 5:33-37 33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Matthew 11:10-11 10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. 11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Matthew 12:7 7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

These are very small number of examples from Jesus ministry. Those who do not see this do not have that spirit.

The helper was to help them understand scripture as sooo much of it was not understood or it was not the time to understand it. This would include the NT that carried further instruction. It was not to give instruction, etc separate or in contradiction to scripture, rather to help them understand it.

Once he was gone from their presence he was to send the spirit as a helper (The spirit that helped him) to.... do what he did; help them understand scripture and ... act on it.

Those who diss scripture are dissing The author, God, His Son who helped understand it and the spirit that helps us understand it. They are led by a false spirit.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Thank you. Imagine if women actually were in every leadership role in every segment of government. How do you suppose that would change the way things are? I think women, by nature, (in general) are always more prone to consider how decisions will affect the welfare of children. There are exceptions, of course, and good men who also consider the welfare of children, but those men are spiritually mature and enlightened men. Women have an innate yearning to put children first. God made us that way.
Government, yes. As long as they're conservative, they'll get my vote. The church, no. God has ordained otherwise.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Government, yes. As long as they're conservative, they'll get my vote. The church, no. God has ordained otherwise.

I think your totem animal is a chipmunk.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Government, yes. As long as they're conservative, they'll get my vote.
Have you thought about raising your standards? Right now conservatives are promoting a guy who has five kids by three women, cruelly mocks the disabled and brags about sexually assaulting women.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Those who diss scripture are dissing The author, God, His Son who helped understand it and the spirit that helps us understand it. They are led by a false spirit.
Conservative theology: Decide what you WANT to believe and then make the Bible look like it supports it.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have you thought about raising your standards? Right now conservatives are promoting a guy who has five kids by three women, cruelly mocks the disabled and brags about sexually assaulting women.
As a bonus, he's barely literate and when walking, is juuust able to keep his knuckles from dragging on the ground.

A Christian fundie role model, for sure.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
It's bc the wife is like the VICE president.
And shouldn't be offended at being out of the loop.
It's true.
I read it here on CDF.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I think your totem animal is a chipmunk.
Lol, my totem is the chipmunk . Nope, I just couldn't have a more noble totem, like a hawk or a wolf or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity