Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 11:46 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think it's arrogant and naive to think that you know more than what Christianity has taught for 2000 years. Not just SOME Christians....but all of Christian orthodoxy.
I think it is arrogant and naive to claim that verbal plenary inspiration and inerrancy have been taught for 2,000 years.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually...yes. I've already said that I accept women as equal. I appreciate women. Please stop lying about people you don't understand.
As long as you believe that there are rules relgating women to positions that do not include leadership you do NOT accept women as equal. Please stop lying about your position.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:49 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I absolutely was when I believed that the bible was God's inerrant Word. I'm still dealing with the repercussions of the life-long, ingrained prejudices.
My wife and thousands of other women in my church believe it, and yet lead full, content lives. Doesn't change their love for Christ or their fellow believers, male or female.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I wonder about that too. That's why in the "Bible" thread post #41 I asked Nate why he hasn't written a book or a revised Bible so that we can all know the secrets of God's wisdom. I asked him this sincerely and ask it here again, because if a man truly believes he has all the answers directly and privately from the Spirit, and no one else has them, that seems like something he would want to publish and disseminate to the entire world, right?
What a load. Reread the assumptions you accuse me of and wonder why I dont answer more than to say that the Spirit is available to you also.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:51 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
1 Tim 2:12
[11] Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
[12] But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
[13] For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

Right wing Christian males will not accept women as equal, much less leaders. God made women second, from the man, for the man. Women were an after thought.

Here is right wing radio making that very clear. Know you place ladies.

‘Christian’ Radio Host: ‘I’m Voting For Trump’ Because ‘Women Shouldn’t Be Entrusted’ As President ‹ Winning Democrats
Nonsense, as usual from the left. Personally, I would love to see a female president, as long as she's conservative.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Only he can answer that question, Pleroo, but if he believes he has God's truth and it is NOT the Bible, or any other extant text, why wouldn't he want to write that down and share it with as many people as possible? That's what I've been trying to understand.

I will sincerely ask the same question of all who do not believe the Bible to be inerrant. What source text or resource may us Bible believing Christians refer to so that we may try to understand your particular, personal beliefs and save everyone's time here and hasten greater understanding for all? Thank you.
This has been covered many times. Uncover your eyes. Jesus promised ONE "Guide" and it is NOT a book.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...nt-spirit.html

Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
This has been covered many times. Uncover your eyes. Jesus promised ONE "Guide" and it is NOT a book.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...nt-spirit.html
"The Spirit" will be different for every person, since every person is different. So "The Spirit" is NOT one guide, it is many different guides.

For Donald Trump, The Spirit is telling him that we should build a wall to keep illegal immigrants out.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times
I appreciate your responding to me, however briefly.

I agree that your stance has been covered many times and I am very clear on the basics thereof, yet I still have questions about the details, which is why I asked them. I guess I had hoped you'd share more comprehensively your insights from the Spirit with us since they are so central to your beliefs and values and are discrete and unique from my own understanding of and experiences with the Bible and the Spirit. I asked because I'm curious.

Edit - I see you linked to another thread. Therein you referred to group discernment and a 3.5 century faith tradition...may I ask what faith tradition you belong to? I see your Profile says Quaker but I just want to make sure I understand correctly. This might help me to better understand where you're coming from.

If you don't feel like sharing, that's your right, of course. Have a lovely day and may God bless you and illuminate your day.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Yes, it beats lying when the subject comes up and is pressed. It is neither false, nor disingenuous, and we have had many discussions on why it is DEAD wrong to believe in plenary inspiration and inerrancy, especially as it puts the Guide Jesus promised into a secondary role at best. It is a pernicious doctrine and creates the kind of prejudice noted.
NO, it does not put the guide in a secondary roll, it indicates the reality of how that guide works and it is through scripture. Jesus who obviously had that spirit quoted ... scripture and even from the LXX which was NOT a perfect translation. He also quoted from the Hebrew OT. The apostles also quoted from both while being spirit led. Those who cannot see the link between the scriptures and the leading of God's spirit, are led by another spirit not the one Jesus spoke of.

Notice Jesus had no problem with the errors in the LXX since it did not impact anything important; so the "it has errors" is a worthless argument, unless you want to call Jesus ignorant and foolish and not spirit led. What those type of arguments do is exalt the person over God and Jesus.

The spirit IS the guide to understanding and applying Scripture, not something totally separate from scripture.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
As long as you believe that there are rules relgating women to positions that do not include leadership you do NOT accept women as equal. Please stop lying about your position.
Maybe stop distorting the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity