Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 03:08 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The reality is that Jesus promised ONE guide, not a partnership, and scriptures may be a TOOL for the Spirit, but it NEVER has authority on its own.
The prophets, Jesus, nor the apostles ever told us that (some) scripture was uninspired and unprofitable.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My wife and thousands of other women in my church believe it, and yet lead full, content lives. Doesn't change their love for Christ or their fellow believers, male or female.
Really? You know about the lives of THOUSANDS of women in your church? That's impressive.And disturbing. How do you know these thousands of women are all "content"? When did you decide you can speak thousands of women? Can these thousands of women speak for you?

Extra credit: Do you have any idea how much that sounds like something Warren Jeffs would say?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-14-2016 at 04:25 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 04:36 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope, as long as you deny scripture you are throughing the spirit out the window.
The spirit helps guide us in understanding scripture applying the scriptures in areas not directly addressed in scripture. It also aids us in our life and can comfort us as well. But the "teaching" of the Spirit will be in harmony with scripture.
I see many posts here where the spirit is claimed and yet understanding of the scriptures is missing. Notice I did not claim inerancy, "inspiration" is another word for "spirit led", it places the spirit right there in front of it all. You would neither know of God, Jesus or the spirit without scripture.
You try to place spirit over scripture while claiming others exalt scripture over spirit. The reality is they are ... equal partners, as the spirit led the recording of the scriptures, so in a sense they are ... the same. Scripture is the written information the spirit had recorded and it helps us individually understand and apply it. It oes not have to be inerrant with the spirit to lead us.
No one denies scripture but YOU do not USE it. Scriptures tell us of the Spirit and describe it in detail. WHY??? So we can USE the characteristics to know what is and is NOT from God or Jesus. You test NOTHING against the Spirit as described and PRETEND that it always agrees with some of the most egregious and evil things that could NOT EVER be from God or Jesus. To you the Spirit is a platitude in your pretense to understand God because you sure do not USE it to know God or Jesus!!

Old 10-14-2016, 05:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Really? You know about the lives of THOUSANDS of women in your church? That's impressive.And disturbing. How do you know these thousands of women are all "content"? When did you decide you can speak thousands of women? Can these thousands of women speak for you?

Extra credit: Do you have any idea how much that sounds like something Warren Jeffs would say?
Probably, like DRob, he has his Holy Spirit Detection Glasses. I think there was an ad for them and a coupon to clip on the back page of their bible.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
The reality is that Jesus promised ONE guide, not a partnership, and scriptures may be a TOOL for the Spirit, but it NEVER has authority on its own.
Nope he promised another guide/helper:

ESV John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,
BBE John 14:16 And I will make prayer to the Father and he will give you another Helper to be with you for ever,
NAS John 14:16 "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;
NIV John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--

Another one, not just one. "Another" indicates they already had one, the scriptures he continually used and they also used. They used scripture and the help of the spirit.

A simple evidence of a lack of the spirit is a lack of understanding what is said and mean and taught in scripture. Those without it denigrate and reject Scripture.

Those who have the spirit/helper understand the deeper things taught. The spirit helps us do that.

Oh and we are told to test the spirit, not scrioture.

ASV 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

There are a LOT of false spirits out there pretending to be the true one and the test is against scripture.

In fact 1 John IS scripture. It gives us direction s to how to test the spirit. The tests are based on ............ scripture as that whole chapter points out.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No one denies scripture but YOU do not USE it. Scriptures tell us of the Spirit and describe it in detail. WHY??? So we can USE the characteristics to know what is and is NOT from God or Jesus. You test NOTHING against the Spirit as described and PRETEND that it always agrees with some of the most egregious and evil things that could NOT EVER be from God or Jesus. To you the Spirit is a platitude in your pretense to understand God because you sure do not USE it to know God or Jesus!!
Quote:
A simple evidence of a lack of the spirit is a lack of understanding what is said and mean and taught in scripture. Those without it denigrate and reject Scripture.
A simple evidence of ignorance of the Holy Spirit is ignorance of its characteristics and failure to USE them to test the spirit of anything and everything written by man to discern whether or not it is from God or Jesus. Your blind acceptance of everything in the Bible is an abomination to God and Jesus and their Holy Spirit they described in detail for us to use. When you accept things as from the Holy Spirit that are NOT compatible with the Holy Spirit of agape love, you deny God and Jesus and blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
Quote:
Those who have the spirit/helper understand the deeper things taught. The spirit helps us do that.
You rationalize evil as good and good as evil when you do not test them against the Holy Spirit of agape love (Who IS God).
Quote:
ASV 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
False prophets are in scripture and that is why we are to test scripture against the Holy Spirit of agape love which IS described by Jesus and IS God's truth. We have the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to it in our hearts in agape love.
Quote:
There are a LOT of false spirits out there pretending to be the true one and the test is against scripture.
You have it BACKWARDS. You would make the scriptures the authority but God IS Spirit and His Holy Spirit IS the authority, NOT words "written in ink" and stone.
Quote:
In fact 1 John IS scripture. It gives us direction s to how to test the spirit. The tests are based on ............ scripture as that whole chapter points out.
What is missing is NOT directions how to test. What is missing are the characteristics to USE in deciding what is from God and Jesus and what is NOT! You use your human reliance on words "written in ink" pretending they are infallible and you ignore the Comforter and what God has "written in our hearts" in agape love. That is why you are so terribly WRONG!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Nope he promised another guide/helper:

ESV John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,
BBE John 14:16 And I will make prayer to the Father and he will give you another Helper to be with you for ever,
NAS John 14:16 "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;
NIV John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--

Another one, not just one. "Another" indicates they already had one, the scriptures he continually used and they also used. They used scripture and the help of the spirit.

SERIOUSLY? I mean, you are ACTUALLY trying to make this fly?
"14If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. 15If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever—…" Now, honestly, who is the FIRST "advocate," and who advocates for us before the Father?

You are simply amazing.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
To them, you aren’t separate but equal, as they might claim from the pulpit. You may be made in the image of God, but not in the same way that they are. You are inferior. You are lesser than. You are Adam’s rib meat; baby machines, meal preparers, arm candy, pleasure tools designed by God for men to use as they desire. Some of these men of God will have the guts to actually say this, others will simply prove it to you. They are proving it to you now. Listen to them.

READ MORE
Thanks for noting the obvious. That is why I do not interact with such men.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I know you wouldn't call it that. It's insidious, because the it's subtle and you don't see it for what it is.

Would you be willing to explain how you think the husband being the leader and head of the wife is done in a way that is NOT "worldly"? What do you believe is intrinsic to a female that makes them in need of being led by a male or having a male as her 'head"? Doesn't even that terminology make you pause for a moment? It makes it sound like the "head", where the organ we use to think is housed, is somehow deficient in a woman, so she needs a man to do the thinking for her.

I don't disagree that love motivates us to treat others well. But that doesn't mean that religious teachings are always in line with love. Men thinking that they are somehow suited, because they are male, to lead and that women, because they are female, are somehow in need of being led, has nothing to do with love.
Totally agree with you, Pleroo. Perhaps the mystery of iniquity is closely tied to the desire of men to rule over women. The book of Genesis says that something was put in place to cause a war between the two which certainly has been going on for as long as time and even today we see this war being played out and men who are by default opposed to the very idea of having a woman as President. I have never considered men to be better, smarter or better leaders than women. Why? Because men clearly, if you look at crime statistics do not have as much self control as women. I actually think men are more prone to emotional weakness BECAUSE of their desire to RULE OVER women. Jesus shocked his disciples by the way he interacted with women. I love the way Jesus acted toward women. He is my hero.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
As long as you believe that there are rules relgating women to positions that do not include leadership you do NOT accept women as equal. Please stop lying about your position.
Thank you. Imagine if women actually were in every leadership role in every segment of government. How do you suppose that would change the way things are? I think women, by nature, (in general) are always more prone to consider how decisions will affect the welfare of children. There are exceptions, of course, and good men who also consider the welfare of children, but those men are spiritually mature and enlightened men. Women have an innate yearning to put children first. God made us that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity