Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 08:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Lol, my totem is the chipmunk . Nope, I just couldn't have a more noble totem, like a hawk or a wolf or something.
A chipmunk is open-hearted, adorable, and trusting.

In its best aspects. Which I'm certain you epitomize.

However, every coin has its flip side....

Old 10-15-2016, 08:19 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A chipmunk is open-hearted, adorable, and trusting.

In its best aspects. Which I'm certain you epitomize.

However, every coin has its flip side....
And the very token you speak of has revealed your hand.

Forgive me

Old 10-16-2016, 03:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have you thought about raising your standards? Right now conservatives are promoting a guy who has five kids by three women, cruelly mocks the disabled and brags about sexually assaulting women.
But they'll vote for him anyways because he said he will lock Hillary up and also that she is the devil. What a strange world. It's a mad world.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:31 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Excellent response to a MOST excellent post. I wanted to focus on this sentence, though and I think you have something very important here. IMO control is essentially the opposite of love which encourages and supports. Control is all about trying to make sure that nothing bad happens to the controller and is totally selfish in nature.
And it is something we all struggle with, the desire to control things. Look at us all each taking a political position and all of us standing on our soap boxes. I wonder how much longer we can go on this way. It seems sometimes like peace has been taken from the earth and cannot be put back until mortality is done away with. Nice talking with you, as always.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
To them, you aren’t separate but equal, as they might claim from the pulpit. You may be made in the image of God, but not in the same way that they are. You are inferior. You are lesser than. You are Adam’s rib meat; baby machines, meal preparers, arm candy, pleasure tools designed by God for men to use as they desire. Some of these men of God will have the guts to actually say this, others will simply prove it to you. They are proving it to you now. Listen to them.
That is an insulting term for motherhood, and your use of it makes you not much better than those people you are railing against, who consider women inferior.

Some people have so much underlying contempt for womanhood and motherhood, as if they would like women to become some sterile, sexless creatures draped in business suits. As if they believed they themselves had come off some corporate conveyor belt rather than from a woman's uterus.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
That is an insulting term for motherhood, and your use of it makes you not much better than those people you are railing against, who consider women inferior.

Some people have so much underlying contempt for womanhood and motherhood, as if they would like women to become some sterile, sexless creatures draped in business suits. As if they believed they themselves had come off some corporate conveyor belt rather than from a woman's uterus.
Did you miss the idea that "baby machines" is the attitude displayed by those conservative Christians and NOT the OP?

Old 10-16-2016, 09:43 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
To them, you aren’t separate but equal, as they might claim from the pulpit. You may be made in the image of God, but not in the same way that they are. You are inferior. You are lesser than. You are Adam’s rib meat; baby machines, meal preparers, arm candy, pleasure tools designed by God for men to use as they desire. Some of these men of God will have the guts to actually say this, others will simply prove it to you. They are proving it to you now. Listen to them.

READ MORE

Good post, and I agree completely.

As the 60s and 70s, began to open doors for women, outside of the home, predictably, some men became increasingly insecure.

The Religious Right, as we know it today, began towards the end of the Nixon administration, largely as a tool to preserve white, "Christian" male dominance. It is inextricably linked to racism, and the desegregation off the American south, as white, southerners scrambled to find a way out of the "horror" of sending their children to school with African Americans.

With that, we saw the birth of the "Christian Academy", as a way to preserve segregation.

One of the first was started by the late Jerry Falwell, purveyor of hatred, racism and misogyny.

Fortunately, demographics are not with these keepers of the status quo, as we turn from a predominantly white, Protestant country, to an increasingly diverse one. What we are hearing in an individual like Donald Trump and in his followers, are the death rattles of repression, and a frantic attempt to preserve patriarchy.

It isn't working.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Good post, and I agree completely.

As the 60s and 70s, began to open doors for women, outside of the home, predictably, some men became increasingly insecure.

The Religious Right, as we know it today, began towards the end of the Nixon administration, largely as a tool to preserve white, "Christian" male dominance. It is inextricably linked to racism, and the desegregation off the American south, as white, southerners scrambled to find a way out of the "horror" of sending their children to school with African Americans.

With that, we saw the birth of the "Christian Academy", as a way to preserve segregation.

One of the first was started by the late Jerry Falwell, purveyor of hatred, racism and misogyny.

Fortunately, demographics are not with these keepers of the status quo, as we turn from a predominantly white, Protestant country, to an increasingly diverse one. What we are hearing in an individual like Donald Trump and in his followers, are the death rattles of repression, and a frantic attempt to preserve patriarchy.

It isn't working.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:42 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Did you miss the idea that "baby machines" is the attitude displayed by those conservative Christians and NOT the OP?
I have never encountered that term being used by any conservative Christians though, but only by the "liberal enlightened" types, as it reflects their perception that being a wife and mother is an inferior occupation that no woman would choose by herself.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I have never encountered that term being used by any conservative Christians though, but only by the "liberal enlightened" types, as it reflects their perception that being a wife and mother is an inferior occupation that no woman would choose by herself.
Suppose you have not heard conservatives say that women go to college to get their MRS degree either huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity