Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Bible, when teamed up with the Holy Spirit, has the potential to reach unlimited depths of wisdom and knowledge about the unseen God to our souls and spirirts.

When the Bible is NOT teamed up with the Holy Spirit, there is the potential for responses like the one above.
"Teamed up" is kind of a loose, ill defined term. Try this: The Bible, when recognized as a tool of the Spirit and when its contents are consistent with that Spirit is capable of expressing great truths about the faith Jesus taught.

When the Bible is put forth as authority in its own right it engenders responses like the one above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:38 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,414 times
i think you are just agreeing with him too tho, i mean, i love (ripping on) fundies, but i am not detecting any hypocrisy there.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:57 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
The Bible, when teamed up with the Holy Spirit, has the potential to reach unlimited depths of wisdom and knowledge about the unseen God to our souls and spirirts.

When the Bible is NOT teamed up with the Holy Spirit, there is the potential for responses like the one above.

Very important point! -- One thing I might add is that the Bible is the basis for knowing when one is listening to God's Holy Spirit or a deceiving Spirit. In this respect, Scripture reveals and affirms the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit affirms Scripture.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So the Holy Spirit endorses and condones lies and forgeries?

Always though the HS was on the up-and-up and would never lead by FALSE pretenses -- even to satisfy mortal beliefs..
The bold is correct.

The question for you is why you consider the Bible to be void of the Holy Spirit - when it is clearly a work of the Holy Spirit? ... well, at least those who have the Holy Spirit in themselves see it as a work of the Holy Spirit...

And you don't have to answer me directly... that's just a question for yourself and "the god that you know" to figure out.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Gladly I got thrillo on ignore, and judging on how others respond to him I am not missing out on much.. having an ignore list makes this forum so much more enjoyable.
I had one other person suggest ignoring certain posters...

Jesus could have ignored me at one point in my life... but He didn't. So I have a hard time ignoring others who are a nuisance at times.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
I had one other person suggest ignoring certain posters...

Jesus could have ignored me at one point in my life... but He didn't. So I have a hard time ignoring others who are a nuisance at times.
Jesus NEVER ignores, even Pharisees were noticed by Jesus..

Old 10-13-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
The bold is correct.

The question for you is why you consider the Bible to be void of the Holy Spirit - when it is clearly a work of the Holy Spirit? ... well, at least those who have the Holy Spirit in themselves see it as a work of the Holy Spirit...

And you don't have to answer me directly... that's just a question for yourself and "the god that you know" to figure out.
As stated previously--IT IS WRITTEN BY MEN and was written almost 200 years AFTER the events had happened...

Do you believe it is the HS based on what someone wrote ?? What chapter and verse says the HS is in the bible?

The God I know and I have already discussed this in depth...

Old 10-13-2016, 10:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
i would consel humility there, paperweights have a funny way of turning into millstones...
Ooooo...a deepity...

Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
can't argue with any of this! Except maybe that absolute truth prolly does not even exist, i think truth is subjective. Or ya, a Book of Absolute Truth would prolly fry our eyes, or be gibberish or something to us.
ya, it's tempting to think men close a Canon, but i dated a historian for a while, and she wised me up. A good reflection is all the apocrypha or whatever that is right now falling out of practical use. Why not save it, if you can? For the same reason those lost Books are lost; they are not relevant. For the same reason we still have the Books we have; they are relevant. The more things change, the more they stay the same, i guess; i don't think technology has really changed human nature much.
factual, lol. I needs me some fax. When did i ever say that you were w/o the Spirit? I think you are a vital addition imo, i mean there are actually people who deny that Genesis is mythological. hate, bigotry and oppression, hmm, seems to describe US pretty well, huh. There's other stuff in there too, i'd skip ahead to part II maybe?
Sorry, the quote did not follow the post--my error

It was in response the another post

Quote:

Old 10-13-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
As stated previously--IT IS WRITTEN BY MEN and was written almost 200 years AFTER the events had happened...

Do you believe it is the HS based on what someone wrote ?? What chapter and verse says the HS is in the bible?
2 Peter 1:20-21 - But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Men inspired by the Holy Spirit are responsible for the biblical content.

Quote:
The God I know and I have already discussed this in depth...
Well - that's a shame... and unremarkable.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 10-13-2016 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity