Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 04:14 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,685 times

Advertisements

Here are some quotes I ran into today:

Great Leaders Speak About the Bible

“The best religion the world has ever known is the religion of the Bible. It builds up all that is good.”Rutherford B. Hayes

“Here is a Book worth more than all the other books which were ever printed.”Patrick Henry

“That book, Sir, is the Rock upon which our republic rests.”Andrew Jackson

“The more profoundly we study this wonderful Book, and the more closely we observe its divine precepts, the better citizens we will become and the higher will be our destiny as a nation.”William McKinley

“There are a good many problems before the American people today, and before me as President, but I expect to find the solution of those problems just in the proportion that I am faithful in the study of the Word of God.”Woodrow Wilson

“The whole inspiration of our civilization springs from the teachings of Christ and the lessons of the prophets. To read the Bible for these fundamentals is a necessity of American life.”Herbert Hoover

“We cannot read the history of our rise and development as a nation, without reckoning the place the Bible has occupied in shaping the advances of the Republic.” Franklin D. Roosevelt

I have heard it said many times - and it seems the popular held opinion - here on this forum that the Bible is just another book written by men, in other words, it has some wisdom and nice stories, but ultimately not that important and certainly not authoritative. But I am sure that is not what the Bible says of itself, even though some say that the Bible doesn't claim Divine inspiration and authority - it certainly does:

2 Peter 2:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Luke 1:69-70 He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David, as He spoke through His holy prophets, those of ages past,

Acts 3:18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.

God has used these men like we use a pen to write a letter, but is the author the pen or the one using it? Likewise God is the ultimate author of the Bible, and for us to live we need to feed on every Word that proceeds from His mouth.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

In my opinion the underestimation and lack of serious study in Gods Word is a cancer that is rapidly spreading throughout western society since many decades, we will have our easy-to-read Max Lucado-type diary's or read a few verses every day, but to really dig into the Scripture to mine out it's incredible riches is rare these days. Which is a very sad reality since there were many - like John Wycliffe - who gave their lives so we could have our Bibles catching dust.

From wikipedia:

"Wycliffe was also an advocate for translation of the Bible into the vernacular. He completed a translation directly from the Vulgate into Middle English in the year 1382, now known as Wycliffe's Bible. It is probable that he personally translated the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John; and it is possible he translated the entire New Testament, while his associates translated the Old Testament. Wycliffe's Bible appears to have been completed by 1384, with additional updated versions being done by Wycliffe's assistant John Purvey and others in 1388 and 1395."

"The Council of Constance declared Wycliffe a heretic on 4 May 1415, and banned his writings. The Council decreed that Wycliffe's works should be burned and his remains removed from consecrated ground. This order, confirmed by Pope Martin V, was carried out in 1428. Wycliffe's corpse was exhumed and burned and the ashes cast into the River Swift, which flows through Lutterworth."

Next year is 2017, 500th year of the reformation - and boy am I thankful to Martin Luther, John Wycliffe and the other reformers or we would all still be under the dominion of the pope. Though as Churches we should be careful not to fall asleep now and forget those Scriptures they fought for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 05:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post

SNIPPED out of monotony....

Next year is 2017, 500th year of the reformation - and boy am I thankful to Martin Luther, John Wycliffe and the other reformers or we would all still be under the dominion of the pope. Though as Churches we should be careful not to fall asleep now and forget those Scriptures they fought for!

Again, just like the ancient book of irrelevancy, MEN speaking and telling other how great it is---while the God that I know has a completely different opinion...

And which scriptures had they fought for?

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-13-2016 at 05:44 AM..

Old 10-13-2016, 06:07 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
The Bible, when teamed up with the Holy Spirit, has the potential to reach unlimited depths of wisdom and knowledge about the unseen God to our souls and spirirts.

When the Bible is NOT teamed up with the Holy Spirit, there is the potential for responses like the one above.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:19 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:

“The best religion the world has ever known is the religion of the Bible. It builds up all that is good.â€Rutherford B. Hayes

“Here is a Book worth more than all the other books which were ever printed.â€Patrick Henry

“That book, Sir, is the Rock upon which our republic rests.â€Andrew Jackson

“The more profoundly we study this wonderful Book, and the more closely we observe its divine precepts, the better citizens we will become and the higher will be our destiny as a nation.â€William McKinley

“There are a good many problems before the American people today, and before me as President, but I expect to find the solution of those problems just in the proportion that I am faithful in the study of the Word of God.â€Woodrow Wilson

“The whole inspiration of our civilization springs from the teachings of Christ and the lessons of the prophets. To read the Bible for these fundamentals is a necessity of American life.â€Herbert Hoover

“We cannot read the history of our rise and development as a nation, without reckoning the place the Bible has occupied in shaping the advances of the Republic.†Franklin D. Roosevelt

I have heard it said many times - and it seems the popular held opinion - here on this forum that the Bible is just another book written by men, in other words, it has some wisdom and nice stories, but ultimately not that important and certainly not authoritative. But I am sure that is not what the Bible says of itself, even though some say that the Bible doesn't claim Divine inspiration and authority - it certainly does:

2 Peter 2:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Luke 1:69-70 He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David, as He spoke through His holy prophets, those of ages past,

Acts 3:18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.

God has used these men like we use a pen to write a letter, but is the author the pen or the one using it? Likewise God is the ultimate author of the Bible, and for us to live we need to feed on every Word that proceeds from His mouth.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

In my opinion the underestimation and lack of serious study in Gods Word is a cancer that is rapidly spreading throughout western society since many decades, we will have our easy-to-read Max Lucado-type diary's or read a few verses every day, but to really dig into the Scripture to mine out it's incredible riches is rare these days. Which is a very sad reality since there were many - like John Wycliffe - who gave their lives so we could have our Bibles catching dust.

From wikipedia:

"Wycliffe was also an advocate for translation of the Bible into the vernacular. He completed a translation directly from the Vulgate into Middle English in the year 1382, now known as Wycliffe's Bible. It is probable that he personally translated the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John; and it is possible he translated the entire New Testament, while his associates translated the Old Testament. Wycliffe's Bible appears to have been completed by 1384, with additional updated versions being done by Wycliffe's assistant John Purvey and others in 1388 and 1395."

"The Council of Constance declared Wycliffe a heretic on 4 May 1415, and banned his writings. The Council decreed that Wycliffe's works should be burned and his remains removed from consecrated ground. This order, confirmed by Pope Martin V, was carried out in 1428. Wycliffe's corpse was exhumed and burned and the ashes cast into the River Swift, which flows through Lutterworth."

Nicely said.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:34 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,780 times
Quote:

“The best religion the world has ever known is the religion of the Bible. It builds up all that is good.â€Rutherford B. Hayes

“Here is a Book worth more than all the other books which were ever printed.â€Patrick Henry

“That book, Sir, is the Rock upon which our republic rests.â€Andrew Jackson

“The more profoundly we study this wonderful Book, and the more closely we observe its divine precepts, the better citizens we will become and the higher will be our destiny as a nation.â€William McKinley

“There are a good many problems before the American people today, and before me as President, but I expect to find the solution of those problems just in the proportion that I am faithful in the study of the Word of God.â€Woodrow Wilson

“The whole inspiration of our civilization springs from the teachings of Christ and the lessons of the prophets. To read the Bible for these fundamentals is a necessity of American life.â€Herbert Hoover

“We cannot read the history of our rise and development as a nation, without reckoning the place the Bible has occupied in shaping the advances of the Republic.†Franklin D. Roosevelt

From wikipedia:

Dear C,
The early church leaders (Luther, Knox, Calvin) referred to the Catholic church as the ***** of Babylon, which would refer to her relationship with Babylon the Great of Revelation 17, who sat on the "beast", such as Rome. Keep in mind, that the daughter of the Catholic church, the Protestant church, accepted the doctrines and canon, of the church of the beast, whose authority came from the dragon (Rev 13:4). As for the testimony of Yeshua, he said the "good seed" which is the word of the kingdom (Mt 13:19) would be mixed with the seed of the tare, placed in the same field. To say the NT is the "word of God" would be a presumption, based on the holiness of the Catholic Church, which put it together. I think that would be a non starter

Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,017 times
for whatever reason, sure seems God saw fit for it to be just like it is; and no one can prove that Z does not have a point. A Book of pure truth would be incomprehensible to us, i think. I see reflections of he will contend with you (@ "Ishmael") for some reason that i cannot discern. Or yes, i guess "good seed" and tares, hmm. Seems to dispute every Word is God-breathed, but then I created evil...

Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Bible, when teamed up with the Holy Spirit, has the potential to reach unlimited depths of wisdom and knowledge about the unseen God to our souls and spirirts.

When the Bible is NOT teamed up with the Holy Spirit, there is the potential for responses like the one above.
So the Holy Spirit endorses and condones lies and forgeries?

Always though the HS was on the up-and-up and would never lead by FALSE pretenses -- even to satisfy mortal beliefs..

Old 10-13-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
for whatever reason, sure seems God saw fit for it to be just like it is; and no one can prove that Z does not have a point. A Book of pure truth would be incomprehensible to us, i think. I see reflections of he will contend with you (@ "Ishmael") for some reason that i cannot discern. Or yes, i guess "good seed" and tares, hmm. Seems to dispute every Word is God-breathed, but then I created evil...
The TRUTH is that a book, no matter which HUMANS wrote it, will NEVER be capable of containing ABSOLUTE TRUTH, NOT about the God I know and NOT about any subject--as mortals are and will always be prone to exercising their poor judgement and biases.

To read in a book it says that the writings herein are INSPIRED, leaves a whole lot of DOUBT and ought to create much SUSPICION as to how much was MAN'S and how little was the God I know--especially given the obvious fact there has been NO UPDATES since 300 A.D--And the God I know would certainly acknowledge that so much has changed since mortals wrote with graphite on trees and burned witches at the stake.

You have as much EVIDENCE that I am without the HS as you do to support that mythological book of hate, bigotry and oppression being FACTUAL.. ZERO

Old 10-13-2016, 07:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The TRUTH is that a book, no matter which HUMANS wrote it, will NEVER be capable of containing ABSOLUTE TRUTH, NOT about the God I know and NOT about any subject--as mortals are and will always be prone to exercising their poor judgement and biases.

To read in a book it says that the writings herein are INSPIRED, leaves a whole lot of DOUBT and ought to create much SUSPICION as to how much was MAN'S and how little was the God I know--especially given the obvious fact there has been NO UPDATES since 300 A.D--And the God I know would certainly acknowledge that so much has changed since mortals wrote with graphite on trees and burned witches at the stake.

You have as much EVIDENCE that I am without the HS as you do to support that mythological book of hate, bigotry and oppression being FACTUAL.. ZERO
I think a lot of people just flat-out disagree with your strongly held beliefs, Z28. God's truth is eternal and man's opinions and changing beliefs have no impact on the truth of an eternal, omniscient God. Similarly, a book "written by humans" who were guided and inspired by God is not really written by humans but rather by God. Many here such as yourself absolutely don't see it that way and that's your right as free thinkers.

Anyway, I don't want to argue what you've already argued before here many times so I wish you a blessed, serene and pleasant day, one filled with light and the inspiration of God's truth.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:35 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So the Holy Spirit endorses and condones lies and forgeries?

Always though the HS was on the up-and-up and would never lead by FALSE pretenses -- even to satisfy mortal beliefs..
well, you just agreed with him, though. Nice btw, DRob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity