Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

I have always been struck by the way Pilate tried to avoid crucifying Jesus. Some blame the Romans for killing Jesus, but clearly it was the fault of the Jewish leaders. The Jews were of 2 camps, those who chose to accept Jesus as Messiah, and those who rejected and wanted to kill Him. The Jewish law at the time said that anyone who makes himself to be the Son of God can be killed for blasphemy. Ironically they had that in common with modern day Muslims who say the same.

John: '6 Therefore, when the chief priests and officers saw Him, they cried out, saying, “Crucify Him, crucify Him!”

Pilate said to them, “You take Him and crucify Him, for I find no fault in Him.”

7 The Jews answered him, “We have a law, and according to our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.

8 Therefore, when Pilate heard that saying, he was the more afraid, 9 and went again into the Praetorium, and said to Jesus, “Where are You from?” But Jesus gave him no answer.

10 Then Pilate said to Him, “Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?”

11 Jesus answered, “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
It was all of us that killed Jesus.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I have always been struck by the way Pilate tried to avoid crucifying Jesus. Some blame the Romans for killing Jesus, but clearly it was the fault of the Jewish leaders. The Jews were of 2 camps, those who chose to accept Jesus as Messiah, and those who rejected and wanted to kill Him. The Jewish law at the time said that anyone who makes himself to be the Son of God can be killed for blasphemy. Ironically they had that in common with modern day Muslims who say the same.

John: '6 Therefore, when the chief priests and officers saw Him, they cried out, saying, “Crucify Him, crucify Him!”

Pilate said to them, “You take Him and crucify Him, for I find no fault in Him.”

7 The Jews answered him, “We have a law, and according to our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.

8 Therefore, when Pilate heard that saying, he was the more afraid, 9 and went again into the Praetorium, and said to Jesus, “Where are You from?” But Jesus gave him no answer.

10 Then Pilate said to Him, “Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?”

11 Jesus answered, “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.”
Herod's desire to release Jesus may have been in part due to his wife's warning to have nothing to do with Jesus because of a dream she had had about Him.

Matthew 27:19 While he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent him a message, saying, "Have nothing to do with that righteous Man; for last night I suffered greatly in a dream because of Him."

Old 04-15-2017, 12:11 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Rembrandt felt that way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...g_of_the_Cross

Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

I watched The Gospel of John last night, and the actor portraying Pilate really brought that across.

I am not fond of these conversations, however, since the actions of the Jewish leadership at that time and place has been used as an excuse for the mistreatment of Jews ever since.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:44 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Every day, either he lives and you die, or he dies and you live.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
God killed Jesus..why is it so difficult to understand that no HUMAN had anything to do with Christ dying?

As Jesus said himself--Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

Man could not stop the crucifixion any more than any MAN caused the crucifixion...

Old 04-15-2017, 01:18 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
God killed Jesus..why is it so difficult to understand that no HUMAN had anything to do with Christ dying?

As Jesus said himself--Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

Man could not stop the crucifixion any more than any MAN caused the crucifixion...
What would have happened at Mount Sinai if Israel would not have been found going back to their Paganism?

It was ONLY AFTER they sinned that God said,'' NOW the knowledge of the Lord will fill the whole Earth.''

God kept changing for man, and had Israel not committed adultery, I doubt you and I would be speaking because right then a kingdom would have come.

What would have happened if all the Jews would have accepted Jesus when he came?

The kingdom would have come right then.

God knew the end from the beginning and although he gave us a chance, he KNEW the people were going to fail in leaving God time and time again and so the circumstances changed with each failure of mankind and with each failure he makes a plan to be even more merciful.

What would have happened if Christianity would have never left Judaism and the ways of Jerusalem?

The kingdom would have already come, and since the gentiles left the covenant in Jerusalem and the Jews standing alone, yet another time MUST come that God reaches out his hand again to make all people one.

Man keeps changing, not God, he is ever merciful.

Great will be the day of Jezreel.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What would have happened at Mount Sinai if Israel would not have been found going back to their Paganism?

It was ONLY AFTER they sinned that God said,'' NOW the knowledge of the Lord will fill the whole Earth.''

God kept changing for man, and had Israel not committed adultery, I doubt you and I would be speaking because right then a kingdom would have come.

What would have happened if all the Jews would have accepted Jesus when he came?

The kingdom would have come right then.

God knew the end from the beginning and although he gave us a chance, he KNEW the people were going to fail in leaving God time and time again and so the circumstances changed with each failure of mankind and with each failure he makes a plan to be even more merciful.

What would have happened if Christianity would have never left Judaism and the ways of Jerusalem?

The kingdom would have already come, and since the gentiles left the covenant in Jerusalem and the Jews standing alone, yet another time MUST come that God reaches out his hand again to make all people one.

Man keeps changing, not God, he is ever merciful.

Great will be the day of Jezreel.
So throughout time, Israel SURPRISED God by doing something totally out of the blue, that not even God knew it was going to happen?

And had the Jewish community "accepted" Jesus, the prophecies would have all been LIES?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:11 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
I agree. And I think the message of the New Testament is that the Jews who opposed Jesus were just as bad as the Romans. And furthermore, that is something that is inside of everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity