Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,050,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
By the way, it wasn't the crucifixion that killed Jesus. He didn't die of asphyxiation because He cried out with a loud voice, ''Father, into Your hands I dismiss My spirit'' (Luke 23:46). Someone dying of asphyxiation can't shout out with a loud voice. Jesus, His redemptive work having been completed, simply dismissed His spirit from His body and died.

There's another reason He wasn't asphyxiated: He wasn't to be a "thing strangled with the blood still in it". Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 02:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,815,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Rome had the only power over life and death. Where in the Bible are the Jews crucifying anyone?

The Jews did not kill Jesus. Rome killed Jesus.

When Rome created and co-opted Christianity they needed to absolve themselves of killing the man they elevated to Christ. They needed a scapegoat . Rome had destroyed and scattered Israel/Palestine. The Jews became a convenient scapegoat and could not defend themselves.

Blaming the Jews for killing Jesus is a bit of ignorance. It is also anti-Semitic.
The Jews who did not accept Jesus as their Messiah are the ones who ultimately put Jesus to death. Obviously Pilate wanted to release Him, and when they demanded that he crucify Him else they would report him to Rome, he consented, but only after washing his hands of it:

Pilate said to them, “What then shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?”
They all said to him, “Let Him be crucified!”
Then the governor said “Why, what evil has He done?”
But they cried out all the more, saying, “Let Him be crucified!”
When Pilate saw that he could not prevail at all, but rather that a tumult was rising, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, “I am innocent of the blood of this just Person. You see to it.
And all the people answered and said “His blood be on us and on our children.”

Blaming the Jews for killing Jesus is not 'ignorance', since their words and Pilates' speak for themselves. Why is it that anyone who blames the Jews for His crucifixion is anti-Semitic? - it is simply a fact, and was part of God's plan. The Jews were constantly disobedient to God. He sent prophets to warn them and they ignored them. Then He sent His Son, and they killed Him. Still the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were a special people set apart to God, not by their own worthiness, but because it was God's will.

The Jews who rejected Jesus saw Him as a threat to their power and privilege, they were the 'fat cats' of their time. The Jewish disciples, including Paul, accepted their Messiah, were used by God to spread the Gospel, and were ultimately martyred. They were examples to us of how we should live and serve God. Later, when Peter and Paul confronted the 'common' Jews with the sin they committed they simply asked 'what ca we do?', and thousands accepted Christ and were saved. The pride and lust for power that motivated the chief priests back then, can certainly can be found today.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,056,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The Jews who did not accept Jesus as their Messiah are the ones who ultimately put Jesus to death. Obviously Pilate wanted to release Him, and when they demanded that he crucify Him else they would report him to Rome, he consented, but only after washing his hands of it:

When Pilate saw that he could not prevail at all, but rather that a tumult was rising, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, “I am innocent of the blood of this just Person. You see to it.

Blaming the Jews for killing Jesus is not 'ignorance', since their words and Pilates' speak for themselves. Why is it that anyone who blames the Jews for His crucifixion is anti-Semitic? - it is simply a fact, and was part of God's plan. The Jews were constantly disobedient to God. He sent prophets to warn them and they ignored them. Then He sent His Son, and they killed Him. Still the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were a special people set apart to God, not by their own worthiness, but because it was God's will.

The Jews who rejected Jesus saw Him as a threat to their power and privilege, they were the 'fat cats' of their time. The Jewish disciples, including Paul, accepted their Messiah, were used by God to spread the Gospel, and were ultimately martyred. They were examples to us of how we should live and serve God. Later, when Peter and Paul confronted the 'common' Jews with the sin they committed they simply asked 'what ca we do?', and thousands accepted Christ and were saved. The pride and lust for power that motivated the chief priests back then, can certainly can be found today.
First you must establish whether he was Mashiach or not...

Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

There were many men claiming to be the messiah at the time. None of them were accepted by the Jews and all of the were killed by Rome. Rome had the only power over life and death. There are no examples in the Bible of the Jews crucifying anyone.

The Jews did not crucify Jesus. They had no power over life and death. Pilate had all of the power.

Blaming the Jews serves both ignorance and it is anti Semitic.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
First you must establish whether he was Mashiach or not...
Do you not acknowledge that many billions of people over the course of two thousand years believe He was the Messiah?...

And that they needn't your permission to believe so?...

Old 04-19-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Do you not acknowledge that many billions of people over the course of two thousand years believe He was the Messiah?...

And that they needn't your permission to believe so?...
Is the billions with a "b"?...It was based off of mistranslations...

Old 04-19-2017, 10:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,605 times
Quote:
2.2 billion current believers as per the Pew Research Center...plus all those who believed over the past 2 millennia but have already passed away. Additionally, there are approximately 100 billion people over the course of history who were once alive but are now dead (link), most of whom were born after the time of Jesus Christ; indeed, mostly in the last couple of centuries as world population has exploded and during which time we well know of the makeup of world religions...

Here are a couple of secular resources; historical world population from the US Census (Link) and a graph from a secular website visualizing this topic.

I didn't get an answer to my questions, so I'll continue to hold for that...

Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,732,493 times
I didn't think he would exfixiate either.. but I am sure it felt like it..

I think he died of so much stress on all his muscles and vessels from bleeding and being beaten and being dehydrated that his heart lining( pericardium ) filled with the only fluids left in his body and that was part of the
"blood and water " when pierced that was released .. and probably had to be released in order for him to be resurrected, because those fluids crushed his heart giving him a heart attack. that is my guess.
besides the beatings nearly removing his skin from his body , and the nails, crown etc.. , I think internally he had pericardial inflammation of the lining of at least his heart , and that is one of the most awfully painful things that can happen to a person.. it is like pleurisy only worse. and pleurisy is known to be one of the most painful conditions a body go through . then add all the rest of the things... which he went through not only the beatings which most men could die from even .. but
I think he had fluids on both lungs and heart and some of his major vessels the heart was stopped maybe by a heart attack due to pure muscular stress from dehydration and blood loss and what fluids he had were crushing his heart. just stress from trying to pump but with little to no blood left .

Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
2.2 billion current believers as per the Pew Research Center...plus all those who believed over the past 2 millennia but have already passed away. Additionally, there are approximately 100 billion people over the course of history who were once alive but are now dead (link), most of whom were born after the time of Jesus Christ; indeed, mostly in the last couple of centuries as world population has exploded and during which time we well know of the makeup of world religions...

Here are a couple of secular resources; historical world population from the US Census (Link) and a graph from a secular website visualizing this topic.

I didn't get an answer to my questions, so I'll continue to hold for that...
And what of all the billions That didn't believe?...

Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,050,784 times
Quote:

Richard....He passed but what if He was standing right in front of you and the spirit of holiness that is His presence was so strong that all you could do was fall to your knees and weep and He speaks and it goes right through your very being? Then YOU KNOW that He was the Messiah. This scenario or something close to it has happened to who knows how many people who formerly didn't believe, including me. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity