Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 06:12 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,398,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Alterations are not all the same, and the vast majority of those alterations, those variants, are nothing more than simple spelling errors which have absolutely no impact. I have listed the types of alterations in post #53. Less than one percent of the variants have any effect on the meaning of the text, and the effect is minor. Again, no cardinal doctrine is affected by any of the variants. And that is the position of experts in the field of New Testament textual criticism.
When you alter a word by expanding its definition to suit a belief – you change the context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When you alter a word by expanding its definition to suit a belief – you change the context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You mean like you do with the word "love of G-d"? Peace
I have a difficult time with those who lie, so why don't you show me?
And I would really like to know why you discount love so much?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,941,088 times
Quote:

Honestly, I think it's just because she is stuck oh HER idea of what WE mean by "love" which has no basis in what we have said, or think, but only in her prejudice.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,055,948 times
Quote:

I don't. Only the counterfeit one. Peace

Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 PM

33,321 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
Alterations are not all the same, and the vast majority of those alterations, those variants, are nothing more than simple spelling errors which have absolutely no impact. I have listed the types of alterations in post #53. Less than one percent of the variants have any effect on the meaning of the text, and the effect is minor. Again, no cardinal doctrine is affected by any of the variants. And that is the position of experts in the field of New Testament textual criticism.
Quote:
Show a specific case where a word in the NT was altered by expanding its definition to suit a belief and demonstrate how it changed the context.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Honestly, I think it's just because she is stuck oh HER idea of what WE mean by "love" which has no basis in what we have said, or think, but only in her prejudice.
The love that Jesus emphasized and demonstrated is agape love NOT "tough love" or "GodFather love" under threat. We have pointed to its descriptions in scripture so many times, it is perplexing that it is not understood.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-08-2017 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Show a specific case where a word in the NT was altered by expanding its definition to suit a belief and demonstrate how it changed the context.
Matthew 25:46
These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

(And we all know the rest of the story)

Old 08-08-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
And in fact, Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians not to exceed what was written.
I Cor. 4:6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.
In other words, you have to stick with what the Scripture says, “…so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.”

But many people have no respect for the authority of the apostles as Jesus' appointed representatives to the early church and to the authority of the Scriptures which were written by the apostles (and others who were closely associated with the apostles).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Oh WOW! Talk about twisting meaning! "And these things, brothers, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that you might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another." Is a better and clearer translation that won't be so easily twisted.

If there is any doubt, check commentaries as:For who maketh thee to differ from another,.... This question, and the following, are put to the members of this church, who were glorying in, and boasting of the ministers under whom they were converted, and by whom they were baptized, to the neglect and contempt of others; when the apostle would have them consider, and whatever difference was made between them and others, was made, not by man, but God; that whatever good and benefit they had enjoyed under their respective ministers, were in a way of receiving, and from God; and therefore they ought not to glory in themselves, nor in their ministers, but in God, who had distinguished them by his favours: Gill's Exposiotion.

MERCY!
I twisted neither the meaning or the translation of 1 Corinthians 4:6. The translation I provided is the NASB's and it is a standard translation. And the point is quite simply as stated, don't go beyond what is written. Stick with what the scriptures say so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other. Or to put it another way, so you don't exalt yourself over others.

And what makes you think you can insert the word Ἄνδρες - 'men' into the verse when it's not there in the original?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Matthew 25:46
These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

(And we all know the rest of the story)
'Eternal punishment' is not one word. There is no one word that means or has been expanded to mean eternal punishment. Two separate words are needed to convey the meaning of eternal punishment.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your reliance on experts who make an unsupportable claim reveals your unwillingness to think and reason for yourself. Since there are NO ORIGINAL texts in existence, the claim is unsupportable on its face no matter how expert the claimants are.
Again you talk about things of which you have no understanding. The fact that you make the claim that since we don't have the original texts we can't know what the original texts were displays an ignorance of the science of textual criticism. These textual critics are indeed experts in the field and are quite confident that our New Testament text is some 99% faithful to the original text. And this is because the vast number of New Testament manuscripts makes it possible to compare the manuscripts and identify the textual variants and get back to the original texts with great, though not 100% accuracy.

You denigrate a field of which you know nothing, as well as the men who are experts in that field. As for relying on experts, when you want to learn about any field you go to the experts and learn from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity