Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point that the alternative "Guide" is clearly demonstrated IN the Bible is glibly denigrated by assigning it a role only as an expositor of the writings rolls off their backs like water off a duck because they cling so desperately to the Bible as THE authority to which apparently THEY have the correct key and their interpretation is correct because that "Guide" confirms it. They DON"T give any basis for thinking that the Spirit DOES guide them, just their assertion, which is JUST like the assertions of their doctrinal opponents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The only way they can push their particular belief system is without having a thought of their own.
The two comments above are examples of attempting to discredit a belief or idea by attempting to discredit those who hold the belief or idea. And it does not speak well of those who resort to such tactics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 01:33 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The two comments above are examples of attempting to discredit a belief or idea by attempting to discredit those who hold the belief or idea. And it does not speak well of those who resort to such tactics.

And it's basically, all they ever resort to when "nuh uhs" get drowned out by reason and proof. Peace

Old 08-08-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You would make it an either/or issue. It does not come down to choosing between the Holy Spirit and the Bible. God provided both and both are necessary in order for the believer to grow spiritually. The Holy Spirit superintended the writers of the Scriptures, guiding them in what they wrote (that does not imply dictation by the way) and the filling of the Holy Spirit is necessary in order to turn gnosis ( Knowledge understood academically) into epignosis (metabolized doctrine in the soul of the believer which results in spiritual growth).

The believer is commanded to grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior. (2 Peter 3:18). That is only possible by absorbing what the Bible teaches about Jesus. The Bible contains information which the Holy Spirit is simply not going to teach you apart from getting that information from the Bible.

The Bible bears the authority of God because it is His message to man.

Exactly. As I said in another post, what you have is the tares in men knee jerk responding to now having the Spirit of Truth, so they throw out the scriptures because they've got the Spirit (). The Pharisees of old threw out the Spirit to keep from having both, now the modern day ones throw out the scriptures to keep from having both. It's comical really, if it weren't so patently obvious and SAD. Both ways, G-d gets cheated out of His due. Peace

Old 08-08-2017, 02:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
No, Mike, the first one clearly attacks the idea of assigning the promised Guide as expositor of the Bible, though I didn't state the implied limitation that the Spirit could not contradict the Bible. should have mentioned that.

And the second one is addressing the point made before that "And conversely, the bible itself says that nowhere near all the things that Jesus said were included in the bible. Yet people apparently want to limit the spirit's guidance to only the things in the bible.
You did address the substance of that remark but the one you posted gave only a reason for such limitation, which may border on ad hominem but should be food for thought in those who do so.

Typical whine does not apply here. (Now THAT's an ad hominem)

Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, Mike, the first one clearly attacks the idea of assigning the promised Guide as expositor of the Bible, though I didn't state the implied limitation that the Spirit could not contradict the Bible. should have mentioned that.

And the second one is addressing the point made before that "And conversely, the bible itself says that nowhere near all the things that Jesus said were included in the bible. Yet people apparently want to limit the spirit's guidance to only the things in the bible.
You did address the substance of that remark but the one you posted gave only a reason for such limitation, which may border on ad hominem but should be food for thought in those who do so.

Typical whine does not apply here. (Now THAT's an ad hominem)
Both comments are aimed at ''THEY.'' Yours is aimed at THEY who ''cling so desperately to the Bible as THE authority to which apparently THEY have the correct key and their interpretation is correct because that "Guide" confirms it.''

Of course the Bible states that Jesus did and said many things that weren't recorded. And guess what? We don't know what He did and said that wasn't recorded, and the Holy Spirit is not going to tell us those things that He said which didn't get recorded.

The Bible contains all the information that God deemed necessary for the spiritual growth of the believer. And it provides a look at what is to come with regard to the Tribulation, God's judgment on mankind, life in the Millennial kingdom, and a brief glance at the eternal state. Things which apart from having been recorded in the Bible, we would not know.

The Holy Spirit is not going to teach anyone any new doctrines or teachings pertaining to the church which have not already been recorded in the Bible. It's just not going to happen. What the Holy Spirit will do is to bring to light, bring to memory those Biblical doctrines which have been metabolized into the soul of the believer and guide him in the application of those doctrines to life.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Both comments are aimed at ''THEY.'' Yours is aimed at THEY who ''cling so desperately to the Bible as THE authority to which apparently THEY have the correct key and their interpretation is correct because that "Guide" confirms it.''

Of course the Bible states that Jesus did and said many things that weren't recorded. And guess what? We don't know what He did and said that wasn't recorded, and the Holy Spirit is not going to tell us those things that He said which didn't get recorded.

The Bible contains all the information that God deemed necessary for the spiritual growth of the believer. And it provides a look at what is to come with regard to the Tribulation, God's judgment on mankind, life in the Millennial kingdom, and a brief glance at the eternal state. Things which apart from having been recorded in the Bible, we would not know.

The Holy Spirit is not going to teach anyone any new doctrines or teachings pertaining to the church which have not already been recorded in the Bible. It's just not going to happen. What the Holy Spirit will do is to bring to light, bring to memory those Biblical doctrines which have been metabolized into the soul of the believer and guide him in the application of those doctrines to life.

Amen. Going looking for "things not recorded" invariably ends up in enemy territory as men are led away of their own lusts, and made easy prey of by the spirits of this age, the seducing spirits of New Age, ect. Peace

Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Amen. Going looking for "things not recorded" invariably ends up in enemy territory as men are led away of their own lusts, and made easy prey of by the spirits of this age, the seducing spirits of New Age, ect. Peace
And in fact, Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians not to exceed what was written.
I Cor. 4:6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.
In other words, you have to stick with what the Scripture says, “…so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.”

But many people have no respect for the authority of the apostles as Jesus' appointed representatives to the early church and to the authority of the Scriptures which were written by the apostles (and others who were closely associated with the apostles).

Old 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
And in fact, Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians not to exceed what was written.
I Cor. 4:6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.
In other words, you have to stick with what the Scripture says, “…so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.”

But many people have no respect for the authority of the apostles as Jesus' appointed representatives to the early church and to the authority of the Scriptures which were written by the apostles (and others who were closely associated with the apostles).

I know. Clueless as to what the walls and the foundation of the city even ARE. And so they do their best to tear them down and root it up. Peace

Old 08-08-2017, 03:28 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
This confirms that you reject the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." The Comforter is to reveal all truth and everything Jesus said, recorded or not. So how can the recorded things limit what the Comforter can guide us to in our hearts??

John 14:16-18 King James Version (KJV)

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This confirms that you reject the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." The Comforter is to reveal all truth and everything Jesus said, recorded or not. So how can the recorded things limit what the Comforter can guide us to in our hearts??

John 14:16-18 King James Version (KJV)

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
No, it doesn't confirm that I reject the Holy Spirit. Simply refer back to post #59.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity