Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 06:31 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,386,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
No, it's your OPINION, which doesn't even line up with scholars anymore, as the link I showed you, proved. And it was NOT Jesus's view on it, nor the disciples, pertaining to the law.

Yes, it does. And I already showed you where in Galatians they said it's scripture, Jesus said it's scripture, and the disciples said it scripture. But we should listen to YOU, instead?

If you REALLY loved G-d, you would not try to destroy what no less than JESUS said HE did not come to destroy.

No, you changed what I said (reading comprehension problem again, or deliberate?). I said NOT THAT IT WAS NOT RIGHTEOUS, because Galatians just said it was. YOU are the one saying it's not righteous, AND ONLY YOU.

And you've been shown the scriptures pertaining to the validity of the scriptures probably a hundred times since I've been here, and they never make an impact on your OPINION. Again, until you repent, the truth will be remain hidden from you. I truly hope you do. Peace
You stil don't understand this very simple expression.

There is SCRIPTURE in the bible, but not everything in the bible is SCRIPTURE.

Where does it say the bible = scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I never said G-d gave unrighteous laws and neither did the writer of Galatians you quoted, nor did Jesus or the rest of the disciples who could have railed on any of it at any time, yet they who were 2000 years closer to the fact than you are, somehow managed to restrain themselves from doing so.
Sorry I did misread you on this one

Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 PM

1John.5-7 Scripture or an addition to scripture by the lying pen of the scribes.

Barnes says

this scripture is spurious, and should not be regarded as a part of the inspired writings.
He goes on to give the reasons why.

I. It is missing in all the earlier Greek manuscripts, for it is found in no Greek manuscript written before the 16th century.

II. It is missing in the earliest versions, and, indeed, in a large part of the versions of the New Testament which have been made in all former times. It is wanting in both the Syriac versions - one of which was made probably in the first century; in the Coptic, Armenian, Slavonic, Ethiopic, and Arabic.

III. It is never quoted by the Greek fathers in their controversies on the doctrine of the Trinity

VI. The passage is now omitted in the best editions of the Greek Testament, and regarded as spurious by the ablest critics.

Clark says

It is wanting in every MS. of this epistle written before the invention of printing, one excepted, the Codex Montfortii, in Trinity College, Dublin: the others which omit this verse amount to one hundred and twelve.

It is wanting in both the Syriac, all the Arabic, Ethiopic, the Coptic, Sahidic, Armenian, Slavonian, etc., in a word, in all the ancient versions but the Vulgate; and even of this version many of the most ancient and correct MSS. have it not. It is wanting also in all the ancient Greek fathers; and in most even of the Latin.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:42 PM

How then can we be sure that these laws are from the lying pen of the scribes and are NOT Gods law?
Because we have this promise from God.
I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts
And you won't find the laws of forswearing, eye for an eye and hate thine enemy written in our hearts.
Therefore we know that those laws are not Gods laws but come from the lying pen of the scribes.

Balaam taught that the best way to undo Gods people was to infiltrate and destroy them from within; what better way to try and destroy God people then adding, deleting or changing the scriptures.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:33 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
10 Facts you don’t want to know so you better stop reading right now
FACT
Jeremiah said the lying pen of the scribes added to the Laws of Moses
FACT
Paul said all scripture (not bible) is given by inspiration of God
FACT
The bible in use in the time of Christ was the Septuagint.
FACT
The Septuagint contains these books- I Esdras, Tobit, Judith, I Maccabees, II Maccabees,
III Maccabees, IV Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, Osee, Michaeas, Ambacum, Sophonias
Aggaeus
So if you do not believe these books are inspired by God as they were in the bible at the time Paul said all scripture is inspired by God are you not being hypocritical in your thoughts toward me for saying not everything in our bibles is scripture?
FACT
Justin Martyr in his discourse with Trypho the Jew stated that the scribes had deleted scriptures from the bible that plainly identified Jesus Christ as the Messiah.
FACT
These books I Esdras, Tobit, Judith, I Maccabees, II Maccabees,
III Maccabees, IV Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, Osee, Michaeas, Ambacum, Sophonias
Aggaeus
Have been deleted out of almost every bible today. Proving man has tampered with God word, as they were in the bible when Paul said all scripture is inspired by God.
FACT
1John.5:7 And Mark.16:9-20 are not in the oldest and best manuscripts but are an interpolation.
Again proving man tampered with the bible.
FACT
The Babylonian Code of Hammurabi was written 200+ years before Moses wrote the law
FACT
The law of an eye for an eye comes from the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi
If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out. [ An eye for an eye ]
Now you know where the lying pen of the scribes stole the law an eye for an eye from, adding it to the Laws of Moses and attributed it to Moses.
FACT
I bet you wished you stopped reading when I suggested it

No, but I'll bet YOU'LL be wishing I had stopped reading it.

FACT: The scripture you have taken OUT OF CONTEXT is Jeremiah 8:8. I say, out of context, because the very next scripture following it shows what it's context IS.

Jer. 8:8 How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

Jer. 8:9 The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?

It says the pen of the scribes is in vain, meaning they were acting as if what was written was a lie (else why would you NOT believe it and do it?). In the previous verses, the Lord G-d is rebuking them for saying they don't basically know what time it is, even as a simple stork does, yet they are claiming to be wise ignoring His words, WHICH ARE WISDOM. In verse 9, He's rebuking them for REJECTING HIS WORD.

In fact, in Jeremiah's day, a king ignored the word of the Lord, the Lord gave him a word which was recorded and to be read, and the king took it and tore it up and burned it. So the Lord G-d sent another word to him, also recorded, this time with a judgment attached to his house for his willful disobedience. So point being, G-d was quick to use His prophets to change any wrong and get things written to bring swift correction. He didn't wait 2000 for some armchair scholars to come along and determine that something was a lie and fix it for Him.

FACT: all bible IS scripture, given by inspiration of G-d. Jeremiah's example illustrated this point, as did Jesus's own words, the words of the other writers, ect. All ignored by you for your own reasons.

I'll deal with some of your other "facts", when I have more time. Peace

Old 08-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Here is a link some might be interested in reading concerning the masorite text.

The Masoretic Text of the Old Testament

I liked this part

Adam Clarke, an 18th Century Anglican Scholar, makes it clear that the work of the Masoretes is, in reality, a commentary which has been integrated into the body of Scripture. However, Clarke points out that the Hebrew of the Masoretic Text (Masoretic Hebrew) is quite different from the Hebrew of the Patriarchs, (Ancient Hebrew) in which Old Covenant Scripture was originally written.

In the General Preface of his commentary on the Scripture, published in 1810, Clarke writes:

"The Masorets were the most extensive Jewish commentators which that nation could ever boast. The system of punctuation, probably invented by them, is a continual gloss on the Law and the Prophets; their vowel points, and prosaic and metrical accents, &c., give every word to which they are affixed a peculiar kind of meaning, which in their simple state, multitudes of them can by no means bear. The vowel points alone add whole conjugations to the language. This system is one of the most artificial, particular, and extensive comments ever written on the Word of God; for there is not one word in the Bible that is not the subject of a particular gloss through its influence. This school is supposed to have commenced about 450 years before our Lord, and to have extended down to AD1030. Some think it did not commence before the 5th century A.D."

Even without adding to, deleting from, or changing a single letter of the Ancient Hebrew manuscripts of Scripture, pointing gave the Masorete power to dramatically change the meaning of almost any given passage of Scripture, for the prerogative of selecting vowels, is, to a large extent, the prerogative of selecting words! As a crude example, consider how the meaning of an English sentence might be changed by substitution of the word "poor" for the word "pure" – a substitution which may be effected by a simple change of vowels.

Even IF true, NONE OF IT, makes ONE IOTA of difference because they couldn't change the precepts hidden in plain sight because they couldn't see them to begin with, and they didn't change the Tabernacle description because they didn't think they had to. NOTHING man has tried to do has kept His Word from being heard. Peace

Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
How then can we be sure that these laws are from the lying pen of the scribes and are NOT Gods law?
Because we have this promise from God.
I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts
And you won't find the laws of forswearing, eye for an eye and hate thine enemy written in our hearts.
Therefore we know that those laws are not Gods laws but come from the lying pen of the scribes.

Balaam taught that the best way to undo Gods people was to infiltrate and destroy them from within; what better way to try and destroy God people then adding, deleting or changing the scriptures.

I've already torn down your "lying pen of the scribes" bit, I see that made no impact at all.

You mean, what better way than to get them to trash the scriptures, which was exactly what Jeremiah was used to stop? But I guess G-d couldn't stop that at any other time, could He? Peace

Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
I've already torn down your "lying pen of the scribes" bit, I see that made no impact at all.
Your imagination is working overtime, but that happens when you have convinced yourself.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Your imagination is working overtime, but that happens when you have convinced yourself.

No, a rational person changes his views to fit the facts. An irrational person continues hang onto his fantasies, er, theories. Fact is, a simple reading of the text revealed the meaning to anyone interested in obtaining the truth, NOT trying to build a golden calf out of it. Peace

Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
No, but I'll bet YOU'LL be wishing I had stopped reading it.

FACT: The scripture you have taken OUT OF CONTEXT is Jeremiah 8:8. I say, out of context, because the very next scripture following it shows what it's context IS.

Jer. 8:8 How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

Jer. 8:9 The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?

It says the pen of the scribes is in vain, meaning they were acting as if what was written was a lie (else why would you NOT believe it and do it?). In the previous verses, the Lord G-d is rebuking them for saying they don't basically know what time it is, even as a simple stork does, yet they are claiming to be wise ignoring His words, WHICH ARE WISDOM. In verse 9, He's rebuking them for REJECTING HIS WORD.

In fact, in Jeremiah's day, a king ignored the word of the Lord, the Lord gave him a word which was recorded and to be read, and the king took it and tore it up and burned it. So the Lord G-d sent another word to him, also recorded, this time with a judgment attached to his house for his willful disobedience. So point being, G-d was quick to use His prophets to change any wrong and get things written to bring swift correction. He didn't wait 2000 for some armchair scholars to come along and determine that something was a lie and fix it for Him.

FACT: all bible IS scripture, given by inspiration of G-d. Jeremiah's example illustrated this point, as did Jesus's own words, the words of the other writers, ect. All ignored by you for your own reasons.

I'll deal with some of your other "facts", when I have more time. Peace
Well lets look at a few different translations.

NIV

8“ ‘How can you say, “We are wise,
for we have the law of the*Lord,”
when actually the lying pen of the scribes
has handled it falsely?
9The wise will be put to shame;
they will be dismayed and trapped.
Since they have rejected the word of the*Lord,
what kind of wisdom do they have?

NLT

8“‘How can you say, “We are wise because we have the word of the LORD,”
when your teachers have twisted it by writing lies?
9These wise teachers will fall
into the trap of their own foolishness,
for they have rejected the word of the LORD.
Are they so wise after all?

ESV

8“How can you say, ‘We are wise,
and the law of the*LORD*is with us’?
But behold, the lying pen of the scribes
has made it into a lie.
9The wise men shall be put to shame;
they shall be dismayed and taken;
behold, they have rejected the word of the*LORD,
so what wisdom is in them?

NASB

8“How can you say, ‘We are wise,
************And the law of the LORD*is with us’?
************But behold, the lying pen of the scribes
************Has made*it*into a lie.
******9“The wise men are put to shame,
************They are dismayed and caught;
************Behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD,
************And what kind of wisdom do they have?

Just by reading these other translations we can see your understanding of Jer.8 is in error.

The scribes were rejecting Jeremiahs counsel ( just like you are rejecting what I have said) on the grounds that they had the divinely given law in written form and Jeremiah replied, you scribes have changed Gods laws with your lying pens.

Adam Clarke puts it this way

The deceitful pen of the scribes. They have written falsely, though they had the truth before them. It is too bold an assertion to say that "the Jews have never falsified the sacred oracles;" they have done it again and again. They have written falsities when they knew they were such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity