Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:25 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You should ask Mordant about your scriptural answer, Ralph. He met ALL the requirements and suffered life experiences and family tragedies that had nothing to do with his pleasure.
This is the thing a lot of people don't recognize, however: What they think is a "good thing" isn't necessarily God's will.

Let's say an infantry patrol is in combat. The commander tells them to take control of a certain building. But the patrol leader sees the enemy in a different building and attacks that one instead.

He's fighting the enemy, right? And that's still okay, right?

Wrong. That's not the enemy the commander told him to fight. The strategy is not his to determine. He's in the wrong place doing the wrong thing, and he is in error to think the commander is obligated to support him in the wrong place doing the wrong thing.

The Body of Christ has been given a very specific mission: Make disciples of people from all nations, take care of each other, wait for Him to return. If we're doing anything other than that, we are in error to think we're doing His will.

Jesus never promised us a rose garden--the opposite, in fact. Like a soldier in combat, our needs will be met...but combat is combat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
All things happen because they are the will of God. Even things we don't like.
Including me not believing in it?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:05 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Ralph-K, as a vet and a believer, that was such a great analogy, similar to many in scripture.

I believe God will give us what we pray for, even if it's not His will for us. Be careful what you wish for! He's a loving father and will teach us and discipline us.

Creation is corrupt, and getting worse. Natural disasters, disease... If we kept in our hearts "to live is Christ, to die is gain" we can wrap our heads around the persecution against Christians around the world.

God will always deliver you, either FROM it, THROUGH it, or into His arms. Trust and obey.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive [them], and ye shall have [them].

Matthew 21:22 - And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
I have friends and relatives that feel prayer is pointless, as theirs never get answered for various different examples.

Sick people pray for health and get worse.

People without jobs, pray for one and remain unemployed.

Pray for a better job and get stuck in a job they hate.

Pray for a nice house and end up in an small one.

Pray for safe travels and get into a car accident.

So if the bible says ask and you will receive, does it really matter if it not the will of God for you to have what you are asking for.
it is important to pray for what you want even if you don't get it now and in that prayer ask him to change your hearts' desire (of this minute/time ) if needed for his better plans and our hidden in him desires.
people may want to live rich but he says " be faithful in little and I will give you more ", it is always about being faithful. don't forget that.

like I just went through hell and back on some of these concepts ..... Jesus kind of tempting me for me to find out my hearts most deep desires. I wouldn't have guessed some of them were there ... but they were and he uncovered them where pain from scars had scared/hardened over somethings I wanted most. and mostly I learned . how important those things were to me and what I would give up to get those things , that I wanted the most. it is not stuff for me but I had to have a few things ( or things removed ) to do that stuff for others.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Creation is corrupt, and getting worse. Natural disasters, disease... If we kept in our hearts "to live is Christ, to die is gain" we can wrap our heads around the persecution against Christians around the world.
God will always deliver you, either FROM it, THROUGH it, or into His arms. Trust and obey.
Hi hunterseat,
With respect...isn't that one of the lessons or examples Jesus left us with...there is no death?
Isn't that part of 'the Good News'? It is for me!
Thanks

Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Re: 'everything is God's Will...'
I would not say that personally...I put it this way...
'You exist because of the One that created the Universe and all things...from there you
are on your own to do whatever, be whatever, experience whatever...you are a free range being...
the power you have to create your own life experiences is yours!'

I find that quite exciting and wonderful.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
All things happen because they are the will of God. Even things we don't like.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Re: 'everything is God's Will...'
I would not say that personally...I put it this way...
'You exist because of the One that created the Universe and all things...from there you
are on your own to do whatever, be whatever, experience whatever...you are a free range being...
the power you have to create your own life experiences is yours!'

I find that quite exciting and wonderful.
Why? It made its existence undeniably known to BF? Right BaptisFundie?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 08-11-2017 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Why? It made its existence undeniably know to BF? Right BaptisFundie?
Are you asking BF why it (God?) made it's existence known to BF?
Even small typos confuse me, sorry. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Are you asking BF why it (God?) made it's existence known to BF?
Even small typos confuse me, sorry. Thanks.
Fixed, or are you still confused?

Old 08-11-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Fixed, or are you still confused?
If that is what you meant I'm good.
In reading BF I don't remember him saying God made His existence ''known'' to him....
you know...up-close and personal.
I was thinking his base of everything is belief in the words in
the Bible only....feeling uplifted and exhilarated from words are often confused
with an actual Visitation from the Holy Spirit.
Uplifted is a wonderful feeling, indeed.
BF? I am not speaking for you...just what I thought was the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity