Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:03 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, Jesus IS God. And he is now sitting at the right hand of the Father because he accomplished his mission -- to redeem his people. THe Holy Spirit now indwells Christians as we work to accomplish the command of Christ to preach the Gospel to all nations.
What happens after you preach? Do you move on? Do you keep track of those people you preach to?

Are their points or scores you keep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Yes. Jesus gave us the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20. We are to go and preach the Gospel to all nations, baptizing, and teaching them to obey all that Jesus commanded.

So it starts with evangelism. It continues with discipleship.
Correct. Jesus specifically stated how to bring people to him.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and
of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
Just in case, the four points of the mission are as follows:
  1. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
  2. baptizing them
  3. in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
  4. and teaching them

Quote:
Actually, Jesus IS God. And he is now sitting at the right hand of the Father because he accomplished his mission -- to redeem his people. THe Holy Spirit now indwells Christians as we work to accomplish the command of Christ to preach the Gospel to all nations.
Of course Jesus IS God.

He included himself in the mission to bring people when he specifically named the Deity in the singular when stated:
"in the name of
  • the Father
  • the Son
  • the Holy Spirit,"

Old 08-29-2017, 01:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Yes. Jesus gave us the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20. We are to go and preach the Gospel to all nations, baptizing, and teaching them to obey all that Jesus commanded.

So it starts with evangelism. It continues with discipleship.
It begins and continues with that of loving one-another.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Actually....that is the culmination of the Law, according to Jesus. We cannot please God simply by obedience to the Law any more than the Galatian Judaizers could please God by circumcision. We obey him out of grattitude. So it begins with FAITH...then we love. Love is the result of our faith.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and
of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
  2. baptizing them
  4. and teaching them

Of course Jesus IS God.

He included himself in the mission to bring people when he specifically named the Deity in the singular when stated:
"in the name of
  • the Father
  • the Son
  • the Holy Spirit,"
My mission is not to follow the Roman Catholic Church and its religious sacraments.
Rather, it is to reach out to others with compassion, showing them loving-kindness.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
  2. baptizing them
  4. and teaching them
Of course Jesus IS God.

"in the name of
  • the Father
  • the Son
  • the Holy Spirit,"
Quote:
My mission is not to follow the Roman Catholic Church.
Rather, it is to reach out to others with compassion.
There is not one single reference in the mission of Jesus stating "to follow the Roman Catholic Church" or to ignore what he just said in favor of "to reach out to others with compassion" as quoted in the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20..

Old 08-29-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
My mission is not to follow the Roman Catholic Church and its religious sacraments.
Rather, it is to reach out to others with compassion, showing them loving-kindness.
Quote:
There is not one single reference in the mission of Jesus stating "to follow the Roman Catholic Church" or to ignore what he just said in favor of "to reach out to others with compassion" as quoted in the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20..
Matthew 28:19 is an interpolation, there is no mention of the Trinity in the Hebrew Bible.

It merely says: Go ...and teach them to carry out all the things which I have commanded.
So, why do you follow the Roman Catholic Church with its insertion of the Trinity doctrine?

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-29-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Actually....that is the culmination of the Law, according to Jesus. We cannot please God simply by obedience to the Law any more than the Galatian Judaizers could please God by circumcision. We obey him out of grattitude. So it begins with FAITH...then we love. Love is the result of our faith.
Actually, you have that backwards; it's the depth of love that precedes our faith.
I am reminded of his "faithfulness" because of his "unfailing love" towards humanity.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:23 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Actually, you have that backwards; it's the depth of love that precedes our faith.
I am reminded of his "faithfulness" because of his "unfailing love" towards humanity.
So when Jesus said this he was lying?

"34But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the great and first commandment. 39And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”"

The fact is...none of us can love perfectly. Not you, not me, no one. Only God.

God loved us first....Romans 5:8 states that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. You are correct that HIS faithfulness and unfailing love toward humanity precedes our faith--but we don't become Christians by our love. As Paul said in Romans 5....we were sinners before God loved us.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
I would prefer to bring one who "overcomes by the blood of the lamb " than bring a few million to Jesus who won't overcome , because they believe in lies and at best can only spell his name but never gained citizenship in his LIFE and in his kingdom. I already have my one which was my goal . but I never set high goals but I do expect him to set high goals for me but then it is him who has to make those goals happen.. we are weak and he is strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity