Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:53 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Would Jesus turn anyone away? Pretty simple, really.
Whooah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM

361 posts, read 432,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Would Jesus turn anyone away? Pretty simple, really.
Despite how religious they are, the fact that they say that if they were eucharistic ministers they would refuse to give Communion to this guy, is truly a cruel and ignorant thing in my eyes.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Despite how religious they are, the fact that they say that if they were eucharistic ministers they would refuse to give Communion to this guy, is truly a cruel and ignorant thing in my eyes.
I know, right. I'm with you. Legalism again.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,334,032 times
Quote:

and if they were the pope they might do this or that as well BUT they are NEITHER pope or Eucharistic ministers so their opinions are actually completely irrelevant to the matter. in point of fact, I don't think a Eucharistic minister (as opposed to a priest) actually has ANY real authority of their own to deny ANYBODY access to a communion. that said, communion in the belief and practice of the Catholic Church (and no doubt other Christians as well ) is a very big deal indeed that requires a certain amount of faith, hope, and love on the part of the recipient and has in fact been regarded as such from the very beginning of Christianity---recall St. Paul:

"....whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner is guilty of the body and blood of the Lord....for anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body eats and drinks judgment on himself." (1 Cor. 27-29).

ultimately it becomes a private and intimate matter between us with all our virtues and hopes, sins and imperfections, AND a loving and merciful God but a supremely serious one that should involve our prayerful and serious consideration of just what is eating and drinking "in an unworthy manner"---especially IF one believes that communion is a singular connection with God in a very special and transcendent way both physical and spiritual as opposed to being "just" a symbol or rite of the unity and loving fellowship of the members of the congregation or a commemoration and remembrance of Christ's love for us---FWIW, think Catholics would say it's ALL of the above.. .

in the peace of Christ and may He lead all concerned (and the rest of us as well) to do what is good, right, and holy in this and all other matters.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-11-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 07:58 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
It is the Lord's table, not the Catholic table or the Baptist table. Communion should be open to all believers.

The priest should read the warning in Corinthians. Then it is the responsibility of the person to decide if they are taking communion in an unworthy manner.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
Be respectful and don't receive it if you're not of the religion. I wouldn't expect a Catholic to come to my church and receive communion IF he/she didn't believe that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and they didn't know him as Lord and Savior. When I am in a Catholic church for any reason, such as a wedding or funeral, I do not partake because I do not line up with their beliefs.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
It is the Lord's table, not the Catholic table or the Baptist table. Communion should be open to all believers.

The priest should read the warning in Corinthians. Then it is the responsibility of the person to decide if they are taking communion in an unworthy manner.
That is true, but the Catholic Church DOES believe differently. If we are in their church, we should respect what they believe and not partake.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Be respectful and don't receive it if you're not of the religion. I wouldn't expect a Catholic to come to my church and receive communion IF he/she didn't believe that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and they didn't know him as Lord and Savior. When I am in a Catholic church for any reason, such as a wedding or funeral, I do not partake because I do not line up with their beliefs.
So, basically, you don't participate in THEIR communion because you don't believe that they are members of YOUR community with God and man.

Well, it's different if YOU are excluding THEM I guess.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, basically, you don't participate in THEIR communion because you don't believe that they are members of YOUR community with God and man.

Well, it's different if YOU are excluding THEM I guess.
I don't participate in their communion because they teach that one must be a baptized Catholic who has gone to confession in order to do so. It is disrespectful to do so.

My church has no such requirement. We don't care if you're Baptist, Methodist, or Roman Catholic. If you're a follower of Christ and you know him as your Lord and Savior, you're welcome at our table.

Please stop trying to tell me what I think and why I act as I do. That's rude.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Did I misinterpret "I wouldn't expect a Catholic to come to my church and receive communion IF he/she didn't believe that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and they didn't know him as Lord and Savior."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity