Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:16 AM

889 posts, read 825,586 times

Advertisements

Here are a few explanations...

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/on...communion-line

https://www.catholic.com/qa/why-cant...eive-communion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post

good links with good information on the "official" policy presented in a clear and charitable manner. thanks for sharing. again, IMHO the last lines of the first link are pretty much this: EVERYBODY going up to communion should do so after seriously examining themselves and having a clear understanding of what is involved, what it means to them individually and yes, maybe what it means to Catholics in general at least theoretically. after that the final decision is between the communicant and God.

FWIW, the Priest says a prayer after he makes his own communion that might be appropriate for everybody to meditate on:

"Lord Jesus Christ by the will of the Father and the work of the Holy Spirit Your death brought life to the world. by Your holy body and blood free me from all my sins and from every evil. keep me faithful to Your teachings and never let me be parted from you."

may God bless and help everybody to make the best decision in this and every circumstance and situation that truly nurtures their relationship with Him and their neighbor both in and outside of church.

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-15-2017 at 11:44 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 11:33 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
Oh people can do whatever they want to in this religious world of what I feel are nuts.

Growing up as a catholic we were not even allowed to stand outside a protestant church yet go inside.

Such brainwashing.

One can go anywhere they want to, go to a jewish temple to hear their service.

I'm done with religion but if I got a really really really weak moment, I would go take in the communion at a catholic church....but that won't happen.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My understanding is that Lutherans hold to consubstantiation, meaning that the body and blood are present WITH the host, where Catholics teach TRANSsubstantiation--meaning that it replaces the host. I'm not sure what category the Eastern Orthodox fall into.

If you'd like to debate the theology of that, I'd be happy to. I don't believe you can support it via Scripture, if we look at all of Scripture, in context. Certainly not from the Bread of Life discourse in John 6.
The Lutheran denominations that I'm most familiar with hold to
1) the exact wording of institution "is" ( nothing more, nothing less):
  • real presence: "This is my body \ this is my blood "
Jesus (knowing the language well enough) does not say:
  • transubstantiation: "this literally is my body \ this literally turns into my blood"
neither or
  • represents: "This represents my body \ this represents my blood "
2) the historical practice of close communion as opposed to open communion.
  • close infers a common unity of all beliefs among participants which scriptures teach believers had
3) Communion is to be taken correctly
1 Corinthians 11:27-29
So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy
manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink
from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ
eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The Lutheran denominations that I'm most familiar with hold to
1) the exact wording of institution "is" ( nothing more, nothing less):
  • real presence: "This is my body \ this is my blood "
Jesus (knowing the language well enough) does not say:
  • transubstantiation: "this literally is my body \ this literally turns into my blood"
neither or
  • represents: "This represents my body \ this represents my blood "
2) the historical practice of close communion as opposed to open communion.
  • close infers a common unity of all beliefs among participants which scriptures teach believers had
3) Communion is to be taken correctly
1 Corinthians 11:27-29
So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy
manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink
from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ
eat and drink judgment on themselves.
I understand. My church practices a "close", but not "closed" communion. One should know Christ , ala 1 Cor 11...but we do extend Communion to believers of other churches because we believe it is a testament to our faith. We don't believe we are the only church in town that understands who Christ is.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
I understand. My church practices a "close", but not "closed" communion. One should know Christ , ala 1 Cor 11...but we do extend Communion to believers of other churches because we believe it is a testament to our faith. We don't believe we are the only church in town that understands who Christ is.
Not to be argumentative ....

"Close" is not by definition the "extend Communion to believers of other churches"

"Open" is by definition the "extend Communion to believers of other churches"

The NT church practiced "close" because they were the only church in town that understands who Christ is and taught concerning doctrine.

That is why scripture emphasizes complete unity of beliefs among believers and not a 9 of 10 ... it's a fellowship issue.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
You have been very vocal in the past regarding what YOUR beliefs are (and are now, actually). You expect us to agree with you and see things your way, but it's amazing how you won't extend the same courtesy.
Frankly, I don't expect or care whether you agree, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous such perception about the nature of the elements of communion are in light of the intent: expression of community with God and man.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:20 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
\\

since in point of fact, I know of no Catholic church, priest, or congregation that actually asks to check a personal membership card (there is no such thing in the Catholic church anyway) of sign an affidavit ANYBODY who comes up looking half-way decent (people in shorts and flip-flops go up all the time!!!) there is really no practical bar for the person in question to go up and receive likely nobody will even notice (except in this case some of the o.p.'s other friends in particular situation). frankly, there are lots of other Catholic churches with lots of services at lots of times around and it's easy to blend in and do what he apparently wants to do.

please (re)read my second paragraph in response 37---don't think there is any particular rigidity or lack of charity there---the decision to partake or not partake is ultimately a hopefully sincere and reasoned PERSONAL decision made between the individual communicant and God.

in the peace of Christ.
Fine and dandy, george, and I appreciate that and my point is therefore addressed to those who have qualms about participating in a ceremony.

And I applaud your post #42

Old 09-15-2017, 02:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Not to be argumentative ....

"Close" is not by definition the "extend Communion to believers of other churches"

"Open" is by definition the "extend Communion to believers of other churches"

The NT church practiced "close" because they were the only church in town that understands who Christ is and taught concerning doctrine.

That is why scripture emphasizes complete unity of beliefs among believers and not a 9 of 10 ... it's a fellowship issue.
Perhaps we ought to define what "close" means. We have several good churches in town. I would have no problem, doctrinally, going to any one of them. I go to the one I go to because it's my church family. But I would have no problem with the pastor serving communion to a friend from one of those other churches.

There are a number of other churches that differ doctrinally from us, and it would not be appropriate for a member of one of them to take communion in our church.

That is what I mean by "close"---as in the synonym to "near". As believers, we commune together and we can fellowship together.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:34 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
I remember a memorable conversation with a Priest about this subject. He said being Catholic is like being part of a Club. You have to do certain things to become a member. Members get to receive Communion.

I will say I was pretty surprised with my cousin allowing her little one to get Communion at my Uncle's funeral. I guess for her it was just another snack since she has not gone through the entire process of a First Communion.

I am not going to lose sleep over it or get my feather ruffled. For me there are certain things that require a Pomp and Circumstance. I don't necessarily believe that everything in life has to be a casual thing. It is nice to have some things in life special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity