Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:51 PM

361 posts, read 433,769 times

Advertisements

I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,336,924 times
IMHO ultimately this may be a matter between your friend and God as to receiving communion in a different Church. that said, the Catholic Church does have guidelines as to the valid and licit reception of communion by both Catholics and non-Catholics and it might be well for your Episcopalian friend (AND your other "friends" as well to at least be aware of and respectful to them). FWIW, both non-Catholics and Catholics as well have availed themselves of the option to go up and receive a blessing from the priest during the communion service if they have concerns about actually receiving communion. if there are no Episcopal churches in your area it might be worth for your friend attending and receiving communion at a LCMS Lutheran church which IS "in communion" with the Episcopal church (ECUSA) and so members of BOTH churches can receive validly in EITHER. again, many denominations including most Methodists and Presbyterians practice "open communion" so this may be another possible option. finally, it really might be a very good idea for your friend to actually talk with the local Catholic priest and explain what his problem is---he (and you---and your other friends) might receive some useful and charitable guidance.

it's interesting to note that in most cases Eastern Orthodox Christians may receive communion licitly in a Catholic Church (though they are urged to respect the discipline of their Church which generally frowns on this) but the Orthodox believe that Catholics should not normally receive communion in their Church because Catholic and Orthodox are not officially "in communion" with each other. all the more reason to pray for the unity of all Christians in faith and hope in God and charity toward ALL their brothers and sisters in Christ.

in the peace of Christ and may He help everybody to do the right thing in this and every other matter.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-11-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 07:41 PM

361 posts, read 433,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
IMHO ultimately this may be a matter between your friend and God as to receiving communion in a different Church. that said, the Catholic Church does have guidelines as to the valid and licit reception of communion by both Catholics and non-Catholics and it might be well for your Episcopalian friend (AND your other "friends" as well to at least be aware of and respectful to them). FWIW, both non-Catholics and Catholics as well have availed themselves of the option to go up and receive a blessing from the priest during the communion service if they have concerns about actually receiving communion. if there are no Episcopal churches in your area it might be worth for your friend attending and receiving communion at a LCMS Lutheran church which IS "in communion" with the Episcopal church (ECUSA) and so members of BOTH churches can receive validly in EITHER. finally, it really might be a very good idea for your friend to actually talk with the local Catholic priest and explain what his problem is---he (and you---and your other friends) might receive some useful and charitable guidance.

it's interesting to note that in most cases Eastern Orthodox Christians may receive communion licitly in a Catholic Church (though they are urged to respect the discipline of their Church which generally frowns on this) but the Orthodox believe that Catholics should not normally receive communion in their Church because Catholic and Orthodox are not officially "in communion" with each other. all the more reason to pray for the unity of all Christians in faith and hope in God and charity toward ALL their brothers and sisters.

in the peace of Christ.
Yeah, the Episcopalian chooses to receive Communion at Catholic Mass. I don't know what his church would think of this, but I am fine with it as a Catholic and don't think it is my other friends business to tell him what to do.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Yeah, the Episcopalian chooses to receive Communion at Catholic Mass. I don't know what his church would think of this, but I am fine with it as a Catholic and don't think it is my other friends business to tell him what to do.

it may indeed NOT be the other friends' "business" to tell him what to do or not do (outside of giving RESPECTFUL and CHARITABLE advice and feedback as concerned Christian friends for another brother in Christ) still would likely be a very good thing to talk to the local parish priest and see what can be done. IF your friend "believes" in the Catholic Church enough to want to receive communion in it, than it would be a respectful and honest thing to be upfront with the Church in informing it's representatives in what he want's to do---he might be pleasantly surprised in the pastoral guidance and counsel he might receive.

FWIW, all Catholics are required to examine their conscience as to their worthiness to receive communion and if necessary because of serious sin to seek reconciliation in the mercy of Christ through the ministry of the Church (confession/penance) before receiving---so nobody "in" or "outside" the Catholic Church gets a "get home free card" for communion simply because they are (nominal) members and somebody else isn't.

May God bless and keep you and your friend.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-11-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 PM

130,687 posts, read 12,182,133 times
I think it is disrespectful, as he is not abiding by Church guidelines, maybe he needs to talk to his own minister or the priest who says Mass & get their opinions.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
I don't think too many priests, Catholic or Episcopalian, would get their vestments in a wad over who takes communion.

Heck, if you last through the ceremony, you deserve a bit of a snack.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times
Personally, I don't allow the Catholic administration to carry the onus of insulting me by indicating I am not a part of the community present at the funeral or wedding I attend where communion is served.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Personally, I don't allow the Catholic administration to carry the onus of insulting me by indicating I am not a part of the community present at the funeral or wedding I attend where communion is served.

FWIW, actually in many cases non-Catholics may be specifically invited to join in communion in such circumstances or at least come up for a special blessing.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
Would Jesus turn anyone away? Pretty simple, really.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Would Jesus turn anyone away? Pretty simple, really.
Yes, it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity