Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I remember a memorable conversation with a Priest about this subject. He said being Catholic is like being part of a Club. You have to do certain things to become a member. Members get to receive Communion.

I will say I was pretty surprised with my cousin allowing her little one to get Communion at my Uncle's funeral. I guess for her it was just another snack since she has not gone through the entire process of a First Communion.

I am not going to lose sleep over it or get my feather ruffled. For me there are certain things that require a Pomp and Circumstance. I don't necessarily believe that everything in life has to be a casual thing. It is nice to have some things in life special.

agree. OTOH, think for those who right, wrong, or indifferently subscribe to the Catholic (and Orthodox, and Lutheran, and some Anglicans and Episcopalians and no doubt others in other churches) belief that communion is more than just a reverent remembrance and memorial of Christ's actions in the past or a loving symbol of fellowship and unity between believers now but ALSO (and most importantly for them) an on-going intimate and transcendent UNION of the individual communicant with Christ Who has offered His body and shed His blood for their personal salvation and that of the world on Calvary and CONTINUES through this holy sign and sacrament to specially nourish and sanctify them with that body and blood at each Eucharist they validly receive now and forever is indeed a (VERY) "special thing" that truly merits "pomp and circumstance".

FWIW, here's an Eastern Orthodox prayer that expresses their belief in what happens at communion: " I believe and confess Lord, that You are truly the Christ, the Son of the living God, who came into the world to save sinners of which I am the first. I also believe that this is truly Your pure Body and that this is truly Your precious Blood. therefore, I pray You have mercy on me and forgive my transgressions....and make me worthy...to partake of Your pure mysteries for the forgiveness of sins and for eternal life. amen."

those who understand what "communion" is (or is not) DIFFERENTLY will obviously likely conduct communion in somewhat different ways and likely want to attend different services in different places.

IMHO (and as mentioned before ad nauseum, LOL ) it's what we do with our lives AFTER communion no matter how we regard and practice the theological and ceremonial details---do we show forth our faith to others in forgiveness, love, and service of our neighbor for love of God---that will be the ultimate and true guide to the efficacy of ANY communion we receive in any way at any time.

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-16-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:22 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Yeah, the Episcopalian chooses to receive Communion at Catholic Mass. I don't know what his church would think of this, but I am fine with it as a Catholic and don't think it is my other friends business to tell him what to do.
Episcopalians welcome anyone who has been baptized to receive communion.

I do not take Communion in a Catholic Church because they make it clear in their missal in the pews that they do not want non-Catholics taking Communion in a Catholic Church, and I will respect that.

However, I do know non-Catholics who will take Communion in a Catholic Church, say when they are there for a wedding or funeral because Christ said to do it and they don't feel that the people who run the church get to overrule Christ's words.

I attended the funeral of a friend's husband a couple of years ago. I went up with my arms crossed over my chest, the sign for a blessing instead of communion, and I whispered to the priest, "I'm Episcopalian". He cracked up a little, kind of inappropriately for a funeral, and after the service he ran up to me and said, "I would have given you Communion if you'd put your hands out."

So, strict adherence to church rules may vary from clergy to clergy.

As to your friends going out with pitchforks and torches to confront another Christian for not following the rules, that sounds like a fine way to alienate yet another person from the Roman Catholic Church.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:32 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Frankly, I don't expect or care whether you agree, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous such perception about the nature of the elements of communion are in light of the intent: expression of community with God and man.
Once again, nateswift nails it in a few words.

It's not about "beliefs".

Old 09-16-2017, 12:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Episcopalians welcome anyone who has been baptized to receive communion.
I always have a little bread and wine at my house for anyone who wants to partake.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:57 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Go Jerwade!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
None whatsoever, when you get a taste of unconditional forgiveness

Old 09-16-2017, 03:42 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
I am not very religious, but I am Catholic and go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation. I have some friends who know somebody who is Episcopalian but goes to Catholic Mass because none of his religion's churches are nearby and he receives Communion. This deeply upsets my friends who are super religious and go to Mass every single day and fast beforehand. They have been obsessing over it for the past month, and they are currently on their way to the other guy's home to confront him about it and try to force him to stop receiving Communion. If that doesn't work they are going to go to the parish priest before Mass on Sunday and tell him to refuse to give this guy Communion. Their actions are pissing me off. I am holding my tongue because I don't eat to upset them and lose friends, but I believe that if this guy believes in God (which he does) and wants to receive Communion he should be allowed to. I believe my friends have no right whatsoever to dictate this guy's actions. I am furious to the point where I am thinking about texting this guy and warning him what he is about to face but I am not getting involved. I love my friends to death, but in this instance, I don't believe they could be any wronger.
This would be a great time to evangelize your friend, see if he has any interest to become Catholic.

Also, one needs to explain to him that even Catholics can't receive communion if they are in a state of mortal sin. We need to go to confession first to be absolved of our sins. If we don't then we have another sin to confess, receiving communion in a state of sin.

You say you are not very religious and go to Mass on Holy Days of Obligation, I am guessing you mean Sundays as well. Maybe a refresher course could be of benefit for you. See if he would join you in RCIA. Even Catholics can go to RCIA anytime they want. All of us are constantly learning things about the church. Listen to Catholic Answers on your radio if you have it in your area. Or go to www.catholic.com

Old 09-16-2017, 05:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This would be a great time to evangelize your friend, see if he has any interest to become Catholic.

Also, one needs to explain to him that even Catholics can't receive communion if they are in a state of mortal sin. We need to go to confession first to be absolved of our sins. If we don't then we have another sin to confess, receiving communion in a state of sin.

You say you are not very religious and go to Mass on Holy Days of Obligation, I am guessing you mean Sundays as well. Maybe a refresher course could be of benefit for you. See if he would join you in RCIA. Even Catholics can go to RCIA anytime they want. All of us are constantly learning things about the church. Listen to Catholic Answers on your radio if you have it in your area. Or go to www.catholic.com

sound advice.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:38 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I remember a memorable conversation with a Priest about this subject. He said being Catholic is like being part of a Club. You have to do certain things to become a member. Members get to receive Communion.

I will say I was pretty surprised with my cousin allowing her little one to get Communion at my Uncle's funeral. I guess for her it was just another snack since she has not gone through the entire process of a First Communion.

I am not going to lose sleep over it or get my feather ruffled. For me there are certain things that require a Pomp and Circumstance. I don't necessarily believe that everything in life has to be a casual thing. It is nice to have some things in life special.
That is how I read the situation with two kickers. The local Priest works on a don't ask don't tell so if the person who steps forward actually is a member of another religious organization or is a woman living with her wife you still accept all who step forward.

On the other hand folks seeing themselves as special want their Priest to enforce the rules to emphasize their special status as the actual true believers. So they go to the Priest or his supervising Bishop to stop the unwritten don't ask don't tell policy in order to get their status recognized.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:00 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That is how I read the situation with two kickers. The local Priest works on a don't ask don't tell so if the person who steps forward actually is a member of another religious organization or is a woman living with her wife you still accept all who step forward.

On the other hand folks seeing themselves as special want their Priest to enforce the rules to emphasize their special status as the actual true believers. So they go to the Priest or his supervising Bishop to stop the unwritten don't ask don't tell policy in order to get their status recognized.
Actually, if a priest breaks the rules of the church it will be doubly hard for him when it is his time to stand before the Lord and answer to the accounting of his life. If that priest does not agree and cannot follow the church then he needs to leave the priesthood. It's not a game. Priests are just as human as the rest of us and want to be liked more than do the hard things. Too many today don't want to do the hard things that are demanded of them. It's called the church of nice but nice won't get anyone into heaven. Following the Lord and taking up our cross will. Jesus spoke many times of taking up our cross and following him. Hurt feelings cannot stand between us and following Jesus.

Accepting people for who they are is what Christians are called to do but we aren't called to agree with everything they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity