Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,994,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Not sure what you mean. Yes, I am insulted when communion is referred to as a magic act. I knew he was referring to changing the bread and wine into the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ. What else could he be referring to magic about?

Do other non-Catholic churches refer to communion as "not magical"? I have gone to other non-Catholic services and none of them did? They gave out communion at communion time without a lecture first. My husband and I found it very strange. Of course, we said nothing about it to him or anyone else.

I'll match my 50s Catholic school teaching on communion with yours. I would find it hard to believe it wasn't the same.
Yes, it is a gratuitous slam against Catholics for their teaching about the nature of communion and is intended to be just as exclusionary as your position, janelle. Congratualations to both, you have each excluded the other from the community of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,133,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not sad at all, janelle. What's sad is, you haven't grown since the 1950s.

If Christians can't find commonality/shared brotherhood among their thousands of denominations, what hope has mankind?

Grow up. Quit being so petty. Your Jesus would be ashamed.
You realize it's not Janelle that makes the rules, right? It's the teachings of her church. Like it or hate it, she is not the one that simply arbitrarily decided. She made a decision to follow her church. I more respect for one that actually knows the rules and decides to follow them than someone that says "I know the rules, but...."

Good for her.

But even you telling her she's petty, and that she should grow up demonstrates a lack of tolerance on your part. Why should she bow to YOUR opinion? Is she not allowed an opinion and be allowed to stick to it just as you are so intolerant regarding your stance?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,339,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You realize it's not Janelle that makes the rules, right? It's the teachings of her church. Like it or hate it, she is not the one that simply arbitrarily decided. She made a decision to follow her church. I more respect for one that actually knows the rules and decides to follow them than someone that says "I know the rules, but...."

Good for her.

But even you telling her she's petty, and that she should grow up demonstrates a lack of tolerance on your part. Why should she bow to YOUR opinion? Is she not allowed an opinion and be allowed to stick to it just as you are so intolerant regarding your stance?
Okie dokie, "BF."

Whatever you say, "nice codger."

Old 09-20-2017, 05:28 PM

89,051 posts, read 85,654,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
We also believe that the communion wafer and wine is actually the body and blood of our savior, whereas Episcopalians do not believe this. It is very disrespectful on his part to take communion in a Catholic church.
Actually, some do.

You can believe the Eucharist is anything ranging from transubstantiation to a remembrance and everything in between, and still be an Episcopalian.

Many Episcopalians are former Catholics who were kicked to the curb by their church due to divorce, sexual orientation, or other lack of adherence to the RCC's rules. They come to the Anglican communion because the service is familiar and they know they are welcome. I am sure many of them still do believe that the bread and wine are changed. That's OK. We don't demand that everyone believe this or that OR ELSE. We don't see that as Christ-like.

The point of communion in an Episcopal/Anglican church is...communion. Oneness.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,503,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We don't demand that everyone believe this or that OR ELSE. We don't see that as Christ-like.
I will drink to that, and please pass the bread.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,339,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I will drink to that, and please pass the bread.
Back when I was taking Communion - between the ages of 7 and 14 or so in the late 50s/early 60s - I much preferred the Ukrainian Catholic, Eastern Rite version which was composed of a small, kind of hard, chunk of bread, soaked in wine and delivered via a spoon; versus the Roman Catholic's small, thin, dissolve-in-the-mouth dry wafer thingy.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,587,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Good for her.

Thank you.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,587,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Actually, some do.

You can believe the Eucharist is anything ranging from transubstantiation to a remembrance and everything in between, and still be an Episcopalian.

Many Episcopalians are former Catholics who were kicked to the curb by their church due to divorce, sexual orientation, or other lack of adherence to the RCC's rules. They come to the Anglican communion because the service is familiar and they know they are welcome. I am sure many of them still do believe that the bread and wine are changed. That's OK. We don't demand that everyone believe this or that OR ELSE. We don't see that as Christ-like.

The point of communion in an Episcopal/Anglican church is...communion. Oneness.
But you just said you were not one and that is why you left the Catholic church, then you say you are one by going to communion with everyone that wants to go.

The church does not kick anyone to the curb, you kicked yourself. Follow the precepts or leave, it's a freedom you take on yourself.

I never heard of Christ saying follow me anyway you want to follow, just follow. Christ did have rules as in the Ten Commandants. Many left Him when they could not follow. Free will is what God gave us and won't take away from us.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Back when I was taking Communion - between the ages of 7 and 14 or so in the late 50s/early 60s - I much preferred the Ukrainian Catholic, Eastern Rite version which was composed of a small, kind of hard, chunk of bread, soaked in wine and delivered via a spoon; versus the Roman Catholic's small, thin, dissolve-in-the-mouth dry wafer thingy.
I have had communion at certain (Episcopal) church functions where we had real bread. A picnic once, a different sort of communal meal another time. It really does feel a little more real than the wafer.

The church I grew up in had cubes of Wonder Bread and little shot glasses of grape juice. Four times a year plus Holy Thursday.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But you just said you were not one and that is why you left the Catholic church, then you say you are one by going to communion with everyone that wants to go.

The church does not kick anyone to the curb, you kicked yourself. Follow the precepts or leave, it's a freedom you take on yourself.

I never heard of Christ saying follow me anyway you want to follow, just follow. Christ did have rules as in the Ten Commandants. Many left Him when they could not follow. Free will is what God gave us and won't take away from us.
What are you talking about? I've never been Catholic. I grew up in the RCA, the Reformed Church of America, a Calvinistic denomination. I was drawn to the Catholic church because of the beauty of the liturgy and the ritual, and I found that in the Episcopal Church when I was married to a divorced Catholic and we were expecting our daughter.

The Catholic Church does kick people to the curb. They kicked my now-ex husband to the curb because he was divorced. He married at 20 and at 22 his wife left him for his commanding officer. He was not welcome back in the church--unless he made a $500 deposit for an annulment, of course.

A man I worked with for many years, a beautiful man, married young and had three kids, one of whom has Down Syndrome. At some point he was able to face the fact that he was really gay, and he and his wife split. At his daughter's First Communion, he walked up to receive and the priest shook his head and refused him. Yeah, it's all about the rules, I get it. That's why I am not Catholic or Fundamentalist or JW or any other pseudo-spirituality that is rules-centered.

The Ten Commandments are not the words of Christ. They are part of the law that was set down by Moses at the formation of the Jewish nation. Christ's words were:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity