Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 05:22 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times

Advertisements

If they provide wine, I'll be glad to share in the provisions. They can skip the little cups too. Hand over the bottle for greater holiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If they provide wine, I'll be glad to share in the provisions. They can skip the little cups too. Hand over the bottle for greater holiness.
That would be Christ's blood---so you would take that cavalier attitude to Christ's blood? It is a sacrament.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, going up to communion says that you believe that the Catholic Church is part of the community of Christ to which you also belong.
Yes, that also.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:22 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yes, that also.
And as a First fruit like no other. A time will tell of the first being last. And last being first.

As rueven is first in the a house with strength to guard a place set apart.

ephrayim keeps dear to the heart, a covenant.
water into blood back into water.

"So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last."

14 trees.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:30 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Do you believe the Holy Eucharist is the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus? If not then you should not receive communion in the Catholic Church which teaches that and believes it.
Going up to communion says you believe and are part of the Catholic Church. It would be a lie if you go just to be going and that includes Catholics as well.
We believe communion is a sacrament and should be reverenced as such, not just a communal pot luck table to come and everyone eat like you would have after mass for people to get together. There is a place and a time for everything.
That may be what Catholics believe, Moderator cut: deletedModerator cut: Others believe it is a way to REMEMBER Jesus and His achievement for us all. Why should your beliefs about it prevent any Christ-follower from participating in the REMEMBRANCE? Do you actually think Jesus would have condoned keeping anyone from remembering Him for any reason??? When His disciples wanted to prevent children from coming to Him what did He say? Do you think His attitude really only applied to children?

Last edited by june 7th; 09-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Insulting to other denomination.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That may be what Catholics believe, Moderator cut: OrphanedModerator cut: Others] believe it is a way to REMEMBER Jesus and His achievement for us all. Why should your beliefs about it prevent any Christ-follower from participating in the REMEMBRANCE? Do you actually think Jesus would have condoned keeping anyone from remembering Him for any reason??? When His disciples wanted to prevent children from coming to Him what did He say? Do you think His attitude really only applied to children?

You remind me of a minister we heard when we went to his service one Christmas. Our niece's son was playing the cello so we went to hear him. Right before communion he gave everyone a lecture to come to communion worthily but he also said, "There is nothing magical happening up here, it's just communion."

I'm not sure if he knew we were there but he seemed not to realized he just insulted us. We aren't ignorant enough to think communion is a magic act. We believe it is Christ really coming down from heaven to feed us with His true body, blood, soul and divinity. It's biblical and we believe Christ when he said truly it is Him. "You have no life in you unless you feed on the Son of God." It's a mystery but most of faith is a mystery. You either believe or you don't.

If you don't believe then don't receive communion in a Catholic church. Simple as that. The church is not keeping anyone from coming to church but they do have beliefs about communion that should be respected as any other place has. Show respect like we do any other place we go to.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-19-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
You remind me of a minister we heard when we went to his service one Christmas. Our niece's son was playing the cello so we went to hear him. Right before communion he gave everyone a lecture to come to communion worthily but he also said, "There is nothing magical happening up here, it's just communion."

I'm not sure if he knew we were there but he seemed not to realized he just insulted us. We aren't ignorant enough to think communion is a magic act. We believe it is Christ really coming down from heaven to feed us with His true body, blood, soul and divinity....
Check a catechism book or talk to an R.C. priest on this point, your reaction was totally inappropriate.

Back in the Fifties, when I was an R.C., your attitude would have been considered quite bizarre. I am unaware that R.C. doctrine about the sacrament of communion has changed since then.

You were attending a non-Catholic church, presumably one that did not believe in either transubstantiation or consubstantiation, judging from the minister's remark. Therefore, to an R.C. their communion service could not possibly be the same as the R.C. one, and could only be a memorial.

Probably without meaning to, the minister was saying exactly what any R.C. priest would have said about their communion service. You were in their church, and he was talking about their service and belief.

Your sense of "insult" was totally cultivated - and unorthodox - nonsense.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I don't participate in their communion because they teach that one must be a baptized Catholic who has gone to confession in order to do so. It is disrespectful to do so.
We also believe that the communion wafer and wine is actually the body and blood of our savior, whereas Episcopalians do not believe this. It is very disrespectful on his part to take communion in a Catholic church.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
A number of years ago a good family friend died and I went to his funeral. The deceased brother was a Roman Catholic priest and his uncle a bishop. While I was raised RC, I am now a UCC minister. During the funeral mass communion was offered - I went up and received it without hesitation. The uncle served me, knowing full well who I was.

After the service family friends chastised me for receiving communion because I was no longer a practicing RC. The brother and uncle had no problems with my receiving it at all. That told me right there that the problems people had with it are there problems, clearly the church leadership did not have any issues at all.

If I am ever in a Roman Catholic church again and communion is offered, I will receive it without hesitation.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

If I am ever in a Roman Catholic church again and communion is offered, I will receive it without hesitation.
In a funeral or wedding, it is usually offered to everyone.

Unless you are Catholic you will never understand why it's so disrespectful in a normal mass. That you are a lapsed Catholic and now a "minister" for another religion and still think it's ok to receive it is disgusting to me, but not surprising, since you weren't faithful to your own. I certainly can't take you seriously as any kind of a man of the cloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity