Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,453,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Once more, you are truly reflecting the continual rejection of Scripture (that this OP is at the heart of) by your condescending of Jesus saying that people are going to end up in hell because they don't believe the right doctrines.
"wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. " ~ Jesus

Although many (not me) accept the bible as Scripture, read and study it, and come to a different conclusion than you about what these supposed "hell" passages mean, I'm not going to argue about that with you. We've done that in the past and it wasn't fruitful.

I'm simply pointing out to you that you can't convince people who don't already believe that a God who is love will condemn people to an eternity of torment that it is true, because it's not a logical or internally consistent belief system. Maybe you would find yourself less frustrated if you accepted that. In my opinion, it's unfortunate when Christians don't or can't explain and demonstrate how God could meet the concerns of the person they are talking to in the here and now.

ETA: Because a God who is capable of impacting a person's life in a beneficial way in the here and now, is a God that can be trusted in the hereafter, come what may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 12:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,983,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Excellent point.
Big surprise huh? or not.

twin doesn't seem to realize that the breeze just shifted and what is a stench is actually Reform Theology.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,541,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Although many (not me) accept the bible as Scripture, read and study it, and come to a different conclusion than you about what these supposed "hell" passages mean, I'm not going to argue about that with you. We've done that in the past and it wasn't fruitful.

I'm simply pointing out to you that you can't convince people who don't already believe that a God who is love will condemn people to an eternity of torment that it is true, because it's not a logical or internally consistent belief system. Maybe you would find yourself less frustrated if you accepted that. In my opinion, it's unfortunate when Christians don't or can't explain and demonstrate how God could meet the concerns of the person they are talking to in the here and now.

ETA: Because a God who is capable of impacting a person's life in a beneficial way in the here and now, is a God that can be trusted in the hereafter, come what may.
Due to your ETA, I thought it better to restate the previous reply.

The original post of the OP has zero benefit in the afterlife, which if believed, will have an damning impact because Jesus said:
"wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. " ~ Jesus

Old 09-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Big surprise huh? or not.

twin doesn't seem to realize that the breeze just shifted and what is a stench is actually Reform Theology.
and since I don't advocate Reform Theology, you're gonna have to get cute with another muffed punt. (putting it in football terms)

Old 09-28-2017, 01:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,757,247 times
Quote:
and since I don't advocate Reform Theology, you're gonna have to get cute with another muffed punt. (putting it in football terms)
Why not? Jesus did in Matthew 5 when He said not one jot nor tittle of the LAW would pass away, and then followed that up by doing it SIX times?

Sounds like reform to me.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
... In my opinion, it's unfortunate when Christians don't or can't explain and demonstrate how God could meet the concerns of the person they are talking to in the here and now.

For instance, let's take a look at the OP (who is a Christian, as far as I know) who has been able to demonstrate and explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
For me all of this is so simple.
One moment of a heart change, an awakening...and a life of debauchery is dropped and
you are on your way to Heaven and beauty... This is the very Nature of Love.
Agree?
Disagree?
Now, demonstrating this on a message board isn't easy. You have to take a person's word for it, to some extent. Hep has described some of her experiences with God, but unless you've witnessed it in person, those things are just hearsay. However, the way she expresses herself on this board (with joy and passion and trust in God's love to meet her needs, and without condemning or being condescending to those who haven't had those experiences) has been a light to many.

As to explanation, she's said just do one thing; test it, and see where it takes you: seek first the kingdom of God and God's righteousness.

Notice that passage doesn't say seek to BE righteous. It says seek GOD's righteousness. In other words, seek to see that God is trustworthy. And what is the kingdom of God? It's not heaven in the hereafter; it's joy and peace to be experienced in the here and now as you experience that God is trustworthy.

This fits well with other passages in the bible like those which say that as a person thinks, they are, and to be transformed by the renewing of your mind, putting on the mind of Christ, and to think on things which are noble and good, etc. So, there's an important key. The kingdom/reign of God has to do with what we focus on.

There's more I could say, but that's a start. And, of course, Hep can say it better than I can. But, you see my point. She's a Christian who knows how to explain how God is meeting us in the here and now, if you want to be met.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Why not? Jesus did in Matthew 5 when He said not one jot nor tittle of the LAW would pass away, and then followed that up by doing it SIX times?

Sounds like reform to me.
Coming from you, it shouldn't surprise anyone about your wanton hearing loss.
And as that being the case, I don't bother to engage the preaching deaf.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:49 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,518,335 times
Point...the sudden awakening or opening of the heart of the criminal on the right.
The power of faith, asking, humility, seeing...and where is he now!!!

Old 09-28-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
For me all of this is so simple.
One moment of a heart change, an awakening...and a life of debauchery is dropped and
you are on your way to Heaven and beauty... This is the very Nature of Love.
Agree?
Disagree?
Quote:
For instance, let's take a look at the OP (who is a Christian, as far as I know) who has been able to demonstrate and explain... [snip]

There's more I could say, but that's a start. And, of course, Hep can say it better than I can. But, you see my point. She's a Christian who knows how to explain how God is meeting us in the here and now, if you want to be met.
The opening salvo post from Hepburn must be taken into context with her previous declarations elsewhere:
"44 years of meditating many many hours a sitting and having been revealed esoteric knowledge from the East...I know the Tao, the Aum/om the Word...the Holy Name of the Father, the Sat Naam" ~ Miss Hepburn
therefore this OP is what it is, the repackaging stench of esoteric knowledge from the East that seeks potential listeners who (like you pleroo) want to verify that all paths will lead to God with loving arms regardless beyond the source of Scripture teaches.

Where have we read that
  1. God is not bound to,
  2. nor does God endorse,
    • any one "holy book"
    • nor any one religion,
    • nor any one person to be a go-between.

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-28-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The opening salvo post from Hepburn must be taken into context with her previous declarations elsewhere:
"44 years of meditating many many hours a sitting and having been revealed esoteric knowledge from the East...I know the Tao, the Aum/om the Word...the Holy Name of the Father, the Sat Naam" ~ Miss Hepburn
therefore this OP is what it is, the repackaging stench of esoteric knowledge from the East that seeks potential listeners who (like you pleroo) want to verify that there are many paths that lead to God beyond the source of Scripture.
I believe Hep is pointing to the same one way that Jesus was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity