Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Can you tell me where in the bible a marriage is defined as only between one man and one woman? Sure, it talks about joining as one flesh between male and female, but it doesn't say any other arrangement is not allowed. In fact, one can think of the erotic description of Ruth and Naomi, as well as Johnathan and David, that clearly the writers were aware of other sexual unions. Good grief, there was even incest described.

And then there is the plethora of concubines, slaves and multiple wives that apparently were A-OK and condoned. In fact, your god even told David that he would 'bless' him with that.
I've seen this asked in these forums before. There is nowhere in the Bible where a simple, unambiguous definition is given. All you're looking for is something akin to: "Thus sayeth the Lord your God, A holy marriage shall consist of ..... " You'll be looking for a long time. It simply isn't in there.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm glad you got the house, Jaeniee. That's awesome. I really am happy for you, and your hubby. I pray he doesn't need his CPAP thing someday.

It's been asked why I'm so angry. I'll tell you. Im angry because I'm hurting. I'm tired of people telling me I'm not good enough for Jesus, whom I love. Im tired of people making dehumanizing statements. I'm tired of seeing loving, committed relationships reduced to sex acts. I'm tired of having to defend my faith from other Christians. I get stuff like this every day it seems, and defending against it reopens old wounds. So I never get to truly heal, the scars just keep getting ripped open. I came into the Christianity forum after I joined C-D, I was looking for loving community, because I had lost everything that mattered to me not long before. I did find a few that are very loving, amazing wonderful people, but I also found judgment, and condescension....a few back when I first started telling my story sided with my family, saying they did the right thing in disowning me. I come here for refuge, because mainstream society can be incredibly cruel to those like me. I came here for refuge, and I found many behaving the same way mainstream society behaved toward me. That is why I'm hurt, that is why I am angry.
I saw what you saw in that post too Geekie. I just cringed because what's the point? I'm sure she has no idea what she said. That doesn't give anyone the right to tell you how you should feel. I was kind of glad to see you stick up for yourself (not saying you usually don't). You didn't deserve to me called mentally ill or attacked for doing so. It's not you Geekie, it's them. Since they'll never apologize for their behavior I will. I'm sorry Geekie that you have to put up with this. If I believed in the Grace of God I think it shines through you. I'm an atheist so I think it's all you, either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 03:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I saw what you saw in that post too Geekie. I just cringed because what's the point? I'm sure she has no idea what she said. That doesn't give anyone the right to tell you how you should feel. I was kind of glad to see you stick up for yourself (not saying you usually don't). You didn't deserve to me called mentally ill or attacked for doing so. It's not you Geekie, it's them. Since they'll never apologize for their behavior I will. I'm sorry Geekie that you have to put up with this. If I believed in the Grace of God I think it shines through you. I'm an atheist so I think it's all you, either way.
Good on ya'.

Too soon etc.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've seen this asked in these forums before. There is nowhere in the Bible where a simple, unambiguous definition is given. All you're looking for is something akin to: "Thus sayeth the Lord your God, A holy marriage shall consist of ..... " You'll be looking for a long time. It simply isn't in there.
Genesis 2. God made a helpmate for Adam -- a woman.

Genesis 2:24 " Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh."

There is a complete absence of ANY text that states that it should be anything other than that. Even Jesus, when he had a chance to repudiate the notion, affirmed it.

Matthew 19:4-6 "He said to them, “Have you not read that He Who made them in the first place made them man and woman? 5 It says, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will live with his wife. The two will become one.’ 6 So they are no longer two but one. Let no man divide what God has put together.”"

Since God created marriage as a man and woman, and Jesus affirmed that, why would anything think that they can simply redefine it?

Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post

The O.P. if thread topic ask to compare aldutery to same sex union.
And leaving out any biased slander the subject can be resolved with the Truth.
Adultery is also defined in the legal framework of the U.S governing body.

By their own legal system make a judgement.

The definition of Marriage being male, and female.
Is not grounds for discrimination in any Court of Justice.
Put it in logic for you.

No one accepted the case for this very reason.
Until somehow the Supreme court decided to hear the case.
Which means they already decided that the definition of marriage was discriminatory before hearing the case.
So a trail of corruption follows the appeals circuit.

If you had read the constitution according to the 14 amendment.
No such law shall be put into place that diminishes anothers protections.example(religious)(nationality)etc.
So for the justices to hear the case under discrimination 14th they had already decided that the definition of marriage was not religious or from a Creator.
So how is the definition discriminatory.?

By the justices hearing the case proves motive. And gives credence that they had already planned on a decision before hand.
Which is why the appeals made it to their desk when every law biding logical person and court of the land knows the definition of marriage being between male and female does not constitute discrimination in any form.

Do you understand where this is going.?
corruption first, then treason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...rts_of_appeals
???

https://definitions.uslegal.com/a/adultery/

Last edited by pinacled; 10-24-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
???
Are you questioning yourself Pin?

Old 10-24-2017, 03:54 PM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Genesis 2:24 " Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh."

There is a complete absence of ANY text that states that it should be anything other than that. Even Jesus, when he had a chance to repudiate the notion, affirmed it.

Matthew 19:4-6 "He said to them, “Have you not read that He Who made them in the first place made them man and woman? 5 It says, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will live with his wife. The two will become one.’ 6 So they are no longer two but one. Let no man divide what God has put together.”"

Since God created marriage as a man and woman, and Jesus affirmed that, why would anything think that they can simply redefine it?
None of those verses are unambiguous definitions. They are references to something that already existed. That isn't a bad thing, but it isn't a definition either.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Because it's not all about you. Not everyone takes the Bible literally. Some people don't even believe in it. You can't impose your opinion the whole of society just because you read a book a certain way. You can't hold them to that just like a Muslim can't try to hold society accountable for what's in the Koran. You don't want laws based around definition found or not found in the Koran do you? Stop trying to do it to other people. If you want to that's fine, define it anyway you choose, use the Bible, use the Koran, use whatever you want. It has been decided how marriage will be defined LEGALLY which is not your call.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Are you questioning yourself Pin?
There has yet to be a single answer.
How is a definition of Marriage being between male and female discriminitory.

http://civilrights.findlaw.com/civil...-glossary.html

Last edited by pinacled; 10-24-2017 at 04:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Because it's not all about you. Not everyone takes the Bible literally. Some people don't even believe in it. You can't impose your opinion the whole of society just because you read a book a certain way. You can't hold them to that just like a Muslim can't try to hold society accountable for what's in the Koran. You don't want laws based around definition found or not found in the Koran do you? Stop trying to do it to other people. If you want to that's fine, define it anyway you choose, use the Bible, use the Koran, use whatever you want. It has been decided how marriage will be defined LEGALLY which is not your call.
That's the entire point.

There is no legal jurisdiction for the Judicial branch to dictate the matter and write into law what the congressional branch is to perform.
The separations of powers are in the constitution.

Readers will be informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity